Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Kegerator won't work

Old 01-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Kegerator won't work

I have a question about getting my kegerator to work. I'm using a store keg with Murphy's stout (nitrogen).

I definitely have gas at the keg. When I pull the pressure relief valve at the tap, nitrogen hisses out and some beer comes out with it. But the line to the from the keg never fills. When I pull the handle, sometimes I get a quick, small burst of nitrogen but that's it. I can also see a very small amount of bubbles when I disconnect and reconnect the keg in the lines..

Something that I'm not sure of is the kegerator came with two flatwashers. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with those.

I've bought two kegerators and both had the washers but the instructions say nothing about what they're for.

I've tried replacing the nitrogen with a newly charged CO2 bottle just to test if it was a gas issue but still get the same results. Is it a bad keg?

I have the nitrogen set to feed at 38psi and tried the CO2 at 12 psi.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
jbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: CRNA
jbrooks's Tacoma Gallery
A couple of things I can think of. My set up has a flat washer at the connection on the coupler to the hose that leads to the tap. The CO2 line has a washer which looks like a one way valve.

Are you sure you have the right coupler for the keg? If it is that standard one that came with it I am sure it is for domestics only. A lot of European beers required a different coupler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegerator

One crucial part of a kegerator is a coupler. Beverage dispensing devices, such as the kegerator, have many standards for couplers:
  • System D (US Sankey) - Standard for American beer
  • System S (European Sankey) - Common for European beer
  • System U - Used for stout and ale by a few breweries in UK/Ireland (Guinness)
  • System G - Used by some breweries in UK/Ireland. (Also used in the US by Anchor Brewing).
  • System A - Chiefly used by breweries in Germany.
  • System M - Used by some German breweries (Schneider)
  • Pin and ball lock home brew keg taps - Designed to work with Cornelius kegs.
The D, S, U and G couplers are secured by twisting them in place (like a screw). The A-coupler is often referred to as a "slide coupler", because unlike the other couplers it slides in place and can be secured at any angle. (The M-coupler is also a slide coupler).
Old 01-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
jbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jbrooks's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.kegsandbarrels.com/keg_menu_final1.htm

Looks like you need the European Sankey (System S)

http://www.kegsandbarrels.com/keg_menu_final1.htm
Old 01-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks View Post
A couple of things I can think of. My set up has a flat washer at the connection on the coupler to the hose that leads to the tap. The CO2 line has a washer which looks like a one way valve.

Are you sure you have the right coupler for the keg? If it is that standard one that came with it I am sure it is for domestics only. A lot of European beers required a different coupler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegerator

One crucial part of a kegerator is a coupler. Beverage dispensing devices, such as the kegerator, have many standards for couplers:
  • System D (US Sankey) - Standard for American beer
  • System S (European Sankey) - Common for European beer
  • System U - Used for stout and ale by a few breweries in UK/Ireland (Guinness)
  • System G - Used by some breweries in UK/Ireland. (Also used in the US by Anchor Brewing).
  • System A - Chiefly used by breweries in Germany.
  • System M - Used by some German breweries (Schneider)
  • Pin and ball lock home brew keg taps - Designed to work with Cornelius kegs.
The D, S, U and G couplers are secured by twisting them in place (like a screw). The A-coupler is often referred to as a "slide coupler", because unlike the other couplers it slides in place and can be secured at any angle. (The M-coupler is also a slide coupler).
It's probably the coupler. I just have the one that came with the kegco kegerator. It's a D.

The keg top is a twist type. The D appears to fit in it but maybe it's not long enough.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
jbrooks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
It's probably the coupler. I just have the one that came with the kegco kegerator. It's a D.

The keg top is a twist type. The D appears to fit in it but maybe it's not long enough.
I'm not sure of the differences but two different sites list the European Sankey as the one.

I know when I screw mine into a keg it hisses a little from the pressure in the keg. I bet you are right.

Good luck finding the right one. We have a brew your own beer store here that has parts. I ordered a double tap set up off of Ebay. I bought my system used and he kept the tap.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #6

I just picked up a type S coupler. It is a bit longer. On the S, when unengaged, the tip that pushes the keg valve is out about as far as the D-coupler when it is engaged. When engaged, moves about as much as the D-coupler so the D is definitely too short. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
sorry im not too sure on your problem exactly, but i have had this problem twice, does your tap have the rubber O-ring on it still? if not it will make it so it doesnt push the ball all the way down in the keg and no beer would come out.

just an idea!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
sorry im not too sure on your problem exactly, but i have had this problem twice, does your tap have the rubber O-ring on it still? if not it will make it so it doesnt push the ball all the way down in the keg and no beer would come out.

just an idea!
I'm pretty sure it's the coupler. My kegerator came with a type D coupler and the Murphy's keg requires a type S.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #9

I have successful tapage! Thanks again.