Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

what is everyone brewing?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #22
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
I really need to bottle a batch of SkeeterPee. Been sitting for MONTHS!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
Just brewed my first real Brown Ale, Pretty basic and I can't wait to taste it. First ever brew shit the bag. The second tasted like weak watered down cider. this actually tastes like beer Pre bottling so I hope to hell it tastes like beer when its aged and carbonated!!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #24
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
My brothers new keezer and menu board.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #25
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking keezer.

I'm brewing a Live Oak Hefe clone tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #26
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
considering I just ate a half cooked burger, and a pork chop with side of beans and slaw.... you don't want to know.......

but really though my buddy has a nice oatmeal stout brewing right now. Im a sucker for dark velvety beers!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Boiling a dry hopped pilsner tomorrow.

Bottled a maibock and an oat ale last week.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #28
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Another newbie question....

I've seen the link for getting started - but honestly, what's the 'attention' factor involved? Is it a lot of work / time involved to maintain the entire process?

The thought of doing this is neat since we've been enjoying micro-brews. But I'm almost afraid I won't have enough time to commit to it.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #29
Grumpy old man - get off my lawn
rleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant future
Name: Roger
rleete's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you're making. The actual brewing process is a couple of hours including sterilization, cleanup, etc. Brewing itself can take from a couple of days to months. But that's just letting it sit for the most part. Bottling is another couple of hours, and is kind of a pain - which is why I bought a keg system.

All told, it's more work and usually more expensive than buying beer. You do it because you want to make wine/beer exactly how you like it. To experiment and have fun, like any other hobby.

Like most stuff, you get better the more you do it, so the time gets shorter. But you still have to take over the kitchen for half a day (twice), which wife/hubby might not like. I ended up building a bar just for a place to brew. Time wise, it's a hobby. Meaning it sucks up free time like a black hole swallows light.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #30
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I brew the extract with partial mash recipies right now. An average brew day takes about 3-4 hours for brew and cleanup. The next 30 days are fermentation and aging.

If you like craft beer and are thinking about getting into brewing your own beer I suggest you find someone local who brews and see if they will let you help/watch their next brew. I will be amazed if they say no.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleete View Post
Depends on what you're making. The actual brewing process is a couple of hours including sterilization, cleanup, etc. Brewing itself can take from a couple of days to months. But that's just letting it sit for the most part. Bottling is another couple of hours, and is kind of a pain - which is why I bought a keg system.

All told, it's more work and usually more expensive than buying beer. You do it because you want to make wine/beer exactly how you like it. To experiment and have fun, like any other hobby.

Like most stuff, you get better the more you do it, so the time gets shorter. But you still have to take over the kitchen for half a day (twice), which wife/hubby might not like. I ended up building a bar just for a place to brew. Time wise, it's a hobby. Meaning it sucks up free time like a black hole swallows light.
Thanks!!
Yeah, I kinda figured it was somewhat involved with time - which, with my work schedule, I wouldn't have enough time to devote to it. I think I'll stick with supporting the local micro brews!

Thanks again!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #32
RansomFTW has a spectacular aura aboutRansomFTW has a spectacular aura aboutRansomFTW has a spectacular aura about

RansomFTW's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got a peaches and vanilla cream ale in secondary. Wanted to branch out and experiment with some new stuff. Honey Wheat or Belgian White are next.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #33

Honey Wheat makes a great base platform. A buddy of mine brewed a honey wheat and added a couple of pounds of mesquite smoked jalapenos (seeds and all) to the mash. That beer had some bite to it. He said next time he is going to step down on the jalapenos and maybe tweak the hops a little more.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #34
Die hard Toyota fan!
66chevelless511 is on a distinguished road

66chevelless511's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Latest brew and note to interested first time brewers...

I've got an amber and a brown on tap... Newer brewer, use brew in a bag method. Started brewing first off by all grain method... That's not any bragging, it's a message to interested individuals that anyone can do it, keep everything post boil really clean and it comes out great! Also, I'm not real patient and even I can get through the process feeling like the wait isn't ridiculous. My brew day is usually 5 hours (5+gallon batches) and I'm sampling carbonated product within about two weeks (if i force carbonate in a corny keg). Its a little young, but i dont know the difference! I've never had a bad batch, and some were amaaaaaazing! But I've only done about 8 batches. Anyway, go for it! And cheers to all you Tacoma enthusiasts!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #35
Die hard Toyota fan!
66chevelless511 is on a distinguished road

66chevelless511's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the frown!

Sorry all, new to the forum and accidentally added a posting title frown face! Guess I need to preview my posts first!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #36
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
My brothers new keezer and menu board.

omg thats sick
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #37
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
anyone have any good suggestions good to brew in summer temps?
Old 06-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #38
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc0monkey View Post
anyone have any good suggestions good to brew in summer temps?
Assuming you don't have fermentation temperature control capabilities, I'd go with a Blonde Ale or a Hefeweizen.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #39
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Assuming you don't have fermentation temperature control capabilities, I'd go with a Blonde Ale or a Hefeweizen.
Yep, right in the middle of tackling that very problem. Building some racks in this old fridge.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #40

Racking my Live Oak Hefeweizen to a keg tonight. I let it sit two full weeks in the primary fermentation this time instead of just ten days. We'll see how it is after another seven days of carbonation.