Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

what is everyone brewing?

Old 01-07-2014, 04:44 AM   #42
Onurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Onurnez's Tacoma Gallery
So I know this is an old thread, but I need some home brew advice.

Just finished up my first batch last Friday 1/3/14. Nut Brown Ale and everything went fine up until fermentation(I think). I placed the brew in a brew bucket with the airlock on top filled 1/2 with water/sani. It's sitting up stairs in a room that is not being used and the temp seems to be around 71F. The issue is, I haven't seen the slightest movement(bubbles) out of the airlock yet. Should I be worried that my yeast is dead, or is it too early to tell?

Also, when should I think about moving it to the second fermentation glass carboy? I have read that when you notice that there is no more movement from the airlock that this would be a good time to move to secondary, but I haven't seen any movement at all.

Any help would be great, if ^ doesn't make any sense, please let me know and I will try to explain better.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #43
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
what yeast did you use? I just finished a newcastle clone so we should have similar results.

i fermented at 65* and shook the carboy on days 4,5,6,7,8. then let it settle for then next seven days.

At 71* you should have lots of action!

another common issue is the brew bucket hasn't sealed properly so it seems like nothing is happening. peek inside the airlock hole and see if a krausen has formed
Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #44
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
What temperature was the wort when you put your yeast in (pitching)? What yeast? Expiration date? Check your current gravity reading and compare it to the initial, as this is the most reliable method of fermentation progress.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:27 AM   #46
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
How long of a fermentation did you have for this beer? I know a lot of people have stopped racking to a secondary if it is less than 3-4 weeks. Now I do not rack off the yeast unless the beer is left in the carboy for dry hopping or conditioning past the one month mark. Just asking.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #47
Onurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Onurnez's Tacoma Gallery
I emailed my local home-brew shop(the mom and pop that I bought my supplies from). I am doing what he is advising me to do. His response to my issue was, "Make sure the Lid is on Tight all the way around. By now the Beer should be ready to move to the secondary.
Go ahead and transfer the beer into the secondary and take a gravity reading. This will let you know what is going on. I hope you took an Original Gravity reading, that way you will see any change.
After you transfer the beer into the secondary, with the airlock in place, tip the carboy on its corner and swirl the beer really good. This will bring and Co2 up to the top and blow out the air.
If the gravity is the same as the starting gravity OG then yes, you will need to get another yeast going ASAP."

I also emailed him my gravity reading and he said I was right on and to bottle in 4-5 days.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #48
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I only use a secondary if i want to dry hop or if the yeast doesn't flocculate very well, as then it will clear the beer very well. if its clear in the primary its lots of work and risk for no real benefit. you can/should keep the beer in there for 3-4 weeks.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #49
Smashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Smashing's Tacoma Gallery
Wow - in 11 days you brewed, fermented, secondary and bottled?? That's a lot of work in a short amount of time. I tend to let my regular brews go 2-4 weeks fermentation, 5 days dry hop(if called for) and then in the keg. I haven't seen my carboy in a long time.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #50
cvisinho is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
cvisinho's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone tries the new bacon beer from northern brewer let us know how it came out.
Im skeptical.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #51

Onurnez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashing View Post
Wow - in 11 days you brewed, fermented, secondary and bottled?? That's a lot of work in a short amount of time. I tend to let my regular brews go 2-4 weeks fermentation, 5 days dry hop(if called for) and then in the keg. I haven't seen my carboy in a long time.
I will have to let you know, that it's in the fridge and damn good too.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #52
Taco Time
MJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MJS's Tacoma Gallery
For "Super Brew Sunday" im making a Rye-Wheat IPA based on a Rye-Wheat beer I made that summer. A friend is coming over and brewing a Doppelbock at the same time.
Hop in the Saddle

American IPA (14 B)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.43 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.76 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.50 gal
Fermentation: Chico Clean Fermentation

Date: 02 Feb 2014
Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.1 %
Taste Rating: 29.0

Taste Notes: untasted

Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 gGypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins)Water Agent1-
4.00 gCalcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)Water Agent2-
8.0 ozRice Hulls (0.0 SRM)Adjunct33.7 %
5 lbs 8.0 ozPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)Grain440.7 %
3 lbs 12.0 ozGerman Rye Malt (2.5 SRM)Grain527.8 %
3 lbs 12.0 ozWhite Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM)Grain627.8 %
1.00 ozCentennial [8.70 %] - Boil 60.0 minHop724.8 IBUs
0.50 ozAmarillo [8.80 %] - Boil 15.0 minHop86.2 IBUs
0.50 ozCentennial [8.70 %] - Boil 15.0 minHop96.2 IBUs
0.50 ozAmarillo [8.80 %] - Boil 10.0 minHop104.5 IBUs
0.50 ozCentennial [8.70 %] - Boil 5.0 minHop112.5 IBUs
1.0 pkgAmerican Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [125.00 ml]Yeast12-
1.00 ozAmarillo [8.80 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 DaysHop130.0 IBUs

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %
Bitterness: 44.2 IBUs
Est Color: 4.1 SRM
Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.6 %
Calories: 179.4 kcal/12oz

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Sparge Water: 4.81 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE

Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 8.0 oz
Grain Temperature: 65.0 F
Tun Temperature: 65.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20
Mash Steps Name Description Step Temperature Step TimeMash InAdd 18.94 qt of water at 165.2 F150.0 F60 min
Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.81 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Keg
Pressure/Weight: 8.72 PSI
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 35.0 F

Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Carbonation Used: Keg with 8.72 PSI
Age for: 7.00 days
Old 02-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #53
Pork eating crusader. An "infidel".
Jib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant future

Army: 99Z Combat Ninja
Name: Ari
Jib Bandits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
For "Super Brew Sunday" im making a Rye-Wheat IPA based on a Rye-Wheat beer I made that summer. A friend is coming over and brewing a Doppelbock at the same time.
Hop in the Saddle

American IPA (14 B)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.43 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.76 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.50 gal

Date: 02 Feb 2014
Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.1 %
Taste Rating: 29.0

Taste Notes: untasted

Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 gGypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins)Water Agent1-
4.00 gCalcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)Water Agent2-
8.0 ozRice Hulls (0.0 SRM)Adjunct33.7 %
5 lbs 8.0 ozPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)Grain440.7 %
3 lbs 12.0 ozGerman Rye Malt (2.5 SRM)Grain527.8 %
3 lbs 12.0 ozWhite Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM)Grain627.8 %
1.00 ozCentennial [8.70 %] - Boil 60.0 minHop724.8 IBUs
0.50 ozAmarillo [8.80 %] - Boil 15.0 minHop86.2 IBUs
0.50 ozCentennial [8.70 %] - Boil 15.0 minHop96.2 IBUs
0.50 ozAmarillo [8.80 %] - Boil 10.0 minHop104.5 IBUs
0.50 ozCentennial [8.70 %] - Boil 5.0 minHop112.5 IBUs
1.0 pkgAmerican Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [125.00 ml]Yeast12-
1.00 ozAmarillo [8.80 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 DaysHop130.0 IBUs

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %
Bitterness: 44.2 IBUs
Est Color: 4.1 SRM
Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.6 %
Calories: 179.4 kcal/12oz

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Sparge Water: 4.81 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE

Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 8.0 oz
Grain Temperature: 65.0 F
Tun Temperature: 65.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20
Mash Steps Name Description Step Temperature Step TimeMash InAdd 18.94 qt of water at 165.2 F150.0 F60 min
Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.81 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Keg
Pressure/Weight: 8.72 PSI
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 35.0 F

Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Carbonation Used: Keg with 8.72 PSI
Age for: 7.00 days

Somebody's been using BeerSmith haha. Sounds good though, I've been wanting try a rye beer for a while. Maybe my next batch...
Old 02-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #54
Pork eating crusader. An "infidel".
Jib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant future

Army: 99Z Combat Ninja
Name: Ari
Jib Bandits's Tacoma Gallery
As far as what I've got brewing lately.. A black IPA is sitting in secondary getting dry hopped. Probably bottle tomorrow. I have coffee milk stout that's ready for a secondary with coffee beans soon, and then I just brewed a cream ale that I'm trying to do a lager yeast on; first attempt at lagering.. I usually try to have 3 different batches fermenting in a cycle so I can always keep my fridge stocked!

What's in the fridge - barrel aged double chocolate stout, a ridiculously tasty Guinness clone, and a blackberry honey hefeweizen.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #55
Taco Time
MJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MJS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jib Bandits View Post
Somebody's been using BeerSmith haha. Sounds good though, I've been wanting try a rye beer for a while. Maybe my next batch...

Yep
Old 02-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #56

what is everyone brewing?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1391563151.523733.jpg
My latest stout
Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #57
Smashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmashing is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kegging my latest IPA this afternoon. Here it is sitting outside prechilling/cold crashing

Old 02-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #58
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
I do enjoy this time of year being able to cold crash outside. My wife and I cut up and started a strawberry wine tonight. Currently doing research/drinking for a vanilla porter.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #59
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Northern Brewer world wide lager in secondary and maibock about to got to secondary in my basement right now. I really like being able to make lagers this time of year.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
I do enjoy this time of year being able to cold crash outside. My wife and I cut up and started a strawberry wine tonight. Currently doing research/drinking for a vanilla porter.
I screwed up this time and the sucker froze! Oops!