Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

The Beer Nerd - what are you drinking / brewing thread

Old 07-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #201
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPreRunner View Post
Drinking my very first Alaskan black ipa (posted In live) and I'm really liking it
Saw that, looks good
Old 07-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #202
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
Saw that, looks good
It is really good, I am extremely impressed
Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #203
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
I was pleasantly surprised with this brew:
Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #204
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I tried an Alaskan Brewing Birch Bock last night. Interesting flavor but I'm not sure I liked it. Kinda syrupy.

Here's the label.

Alaskan Brewing says the beer is made with Birch syrup. That would explain the syrupy feel. They also suggest pairing with sweet food (like apple pie) or cheese.

Might try another and their suggestion of food.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #205
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeetee View Post
I was pleasantly surprised with this brew:
I love the Nutty Brown, a fav of mine for sure.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #206
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Somedays are better than others. Today was not one of those. But good beer certainly improves things. First beer is a longtime favorite of mine:
Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #207
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
I love the Nutty Brown, a fav of mine for sure.
IMO Rogue makes a lot of beer that sucks (EG bacon beer), but their brown, brutal ipa and northwestern ale are quite good
Old 07-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #208
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
What are the laws on shipping beer? I'd love to try some of these brews but can't get them close to me
Old 07-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #209
Mustard Tiger
OrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
OrlPreds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
What are the laws on shipping beer? I'd love to try some of these brews but can't get them close to me
What you need to know when ordering beer online:
  1. What are the laws in your state: Not every state permits shipments of alcohol to residents so if you live in PA, TX, MA, UT, MD, DE, AR, OK, MT, ME, SD, KY, AK, HI, WV or MS then you canít have alcohol of any kind delivered to you. There are companies out there that do not adhere to or are not aware of laws from state to state and may be shipping to residents of these states which could land them and possibly even the resident in legal trouble. Even states that do permit shipments of alcohol to residents have certain legal restrictions and requirements that must be met. Some states donít allow anything with an alcohol content greater than a set percentage and many others put a monthly or annual limit on the amount of alcohol a person or household can receive from out of state retailers.
  2. Who can ship: There are only two legal ways to ship alcohol in the United States. A retailer must be licensed to sell alcohol by a state that permits shipments in and out of that state and must have an alcohol shippers contract with either UPS or FedEx. The US Postal Service does not permit shipments of alcohol. It is illegal for a non-licensed individual to ship alcohol.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #210
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Somedays are better than others. Today was not one of those. But good beer certainly improves things. First beer is a longtime favorite of mine:
Brother T is a great beer I drink it a couple times a year
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #211
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPreRunner View Post
Brother T is a great beer I drink it a couple times a year
Old 07-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #212
Mustard Tiger
OrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
OrlPreds's Tacoma Gallery
Troegs Brewery Tour Friday if anyone in PA wants to tag along.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #213

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlPreds View Post
  1. What are the laws in your state: Not every state permits shipments of alcohol to residents so if you live in PA, TX, MA, UT, MD, DE, AR, OK, MT, ME, SD, KY, AK, HI, WV or MS then you canít have alcohol of any kind delivered to you. There are companies out there that do not adhere to or are not aware of laws from state to state and may be shipping to residents of these states which could land them and possibly even the resident in legal trouble. Even states that do permit shipments of alcohol to residents have certain legal restrictions and requirements that must be met. Some states donít allow anything with an alcohol content greater than a set percentage and many others put a monthly or annual limit on the amount of alcohol a person or household can receive from out of state retailers.
  2. Who can ship: There are only two legal ways to ship alcohol in the United States. A retailer must be licensed to sell alcohol by a state that permits shipments in and out of that state and must have an alcohol shippers contract with either UPS or FedEx. The US Postal Service does not permit shipments of alcohol. It is illegal for a non-licensed individual to ship alcohol.
Fortunately LA isn't on the list. Might have to order some of these Brews online.

In other news, found these today
Old 07-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #214
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlPreds View Post
Okay there is the letter of the law, I wouldn't recommend the US Postal Service.

On the other hand UPS and FedEx don't seem to care what you mail and do not expect an honest answer when they ask you. Just make sure you package it well so that it doesn't break in get precious beer everywhere.

There is a lot of beer trading that goes on through ratebeer.com and beeradvocate.com and I've never heard of anyone getting busted.

At Avery we frequently mail beer for many reasons including just sending some to a friend, and never have any issues with UPS or FedEx. They may ask and we might say "Yeast samples" but I've also said "glassware", "framed pictures", etc. They don't care.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #215
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Tomorrow is IPA Day. Anyone have a preferred IPA for the day?

I'm going to enjoy some Lost Gold IPA by Real Ale.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #216
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post

Pliny the elder
Old 07-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #217
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post

Guess I have to go to central market tomorrow and get some IPA since I drank my last one tonight.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #218
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having another Avery 20th Anniversary Double IPA right now.

I'll be doing the same for IPA day tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #219
Micatom33 has a spectacular aura aboutMicatom33 has a spectacular aura aboutMicatom33 has a spectacular aura about
Micatom33's Tacoma Gallery
This is one of my best. I call it RedSled ESB. Homegrown dryhopped!
Attached Thumbnails
The Beer Nerd - what are you drinking / brewing thread-redsled-hops.jpg   The Beer Nerd - what are you drinking / brewing thread-red-sled-ale.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #220
Micatom33 has a spectacular aura aboutMicatom33 has a spectacular aura aboutMicatom33 has a spectacular aura about
Micatom33's Tacoma Gallery
Home brew :)

about 4 /2 gallons.
Attached Thumbnails
The Beer Nerd - what are you drinking / brewing thread-oh-yea...jpg