Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

The Beer Nerd - what are you drinking / brewing thread

Old 09-20-2013, 04:40 AM   #461
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Kegged my German Altbier last night. I haven't decided what I want to brew next yet.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #462
You don't frighten us, English pig dogs!
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS78 View Post
Yeah let me go grab it quick and I'll send you a link. I added and adjusted a little for the pumpkin though

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/legend-brown-clone

Instead of chocolate malt I used Extra Dark Crystal malt, and the additions were a large can of pumpkin at 10 min left in boil, 1 1/2 TBSP pumpkin pie spice on day 3 of fermentation and mixed that with a splash of vanilla and some water to liquefy the dry spice. Ill know how it tastes here in three weeks!!!! Cheers
Great! Thanks much. Perhaps I'll wait to hear how it turns out on your end first, though. Sounds good, but you never know.

Hell, you'll probably have bottled it off and sampled it before I even find the time to start a batch of it anyway...
Old 09-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #463
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
I've gotten all my friends addicted to Stone. India Pale and also Arrogant Bastard haha.

Anybody try the Apple Ale? heard it was delicious!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #465
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyComa92 View Post
I've gotten all my friends addicted to Stone. India Pale and also Arrogant Bastard haha.

Anybody try the Apple Ale? heard it was delicious!

Ha just posted about it. Yeah pretty good.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #466
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
OK got a question for the home-brew crowd:

Where do you buy your ingredients? I'm looking for an "all-in-one" ingredient kit for my first batch. There are no local stores, so it's looking like it's going to be online.

I originally bought a kit with all the necessary stuff + ingredients from Oak Barrel in Berkeley when I was living up there, which is a rad place. But, to make a short story longer my sister spilled the malted barley all over my storage unit a couple months ago. So, I'm back to square one.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #467
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
OK got a question for the home-brew crowd:

Where do you buy your ingredients? I'm looking for an "all-in-one" ingredient kit for my first batch. There are no local stores, so it's looking like it's going to be online.

I originally bought a kit with all the necessary stuff + ingredients from Oak Barrel in Berkeley when I was living up there, which is a rad place. But, to make a short story longer my sister spilled the malted barley all over my storage unit a couple months ago. So, I'm back to square one.
I prefer Northern Brewer to my LHBS.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/?gclid...FUhk7AodWW8Apw
Old 09-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #468
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
I prefer Northern Brewer to my LHBS.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/?gclid...FUhk7AodWW8Apw
Thanks! Any suggestions for best first kit to do? I like most types of beers.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #469
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks! Any suggestions for best first kit to do? I like most types of beers.
Dead Ringer. Not too expensive, simple brew and a damn tasty American IPA. Bell's Two Hearted clone.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...tract-kit.html
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #470
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Dead Ringer. Not too expensive, simple brew and a damn tasty American IPA. Bell's Two Hearted clone.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...tract-kit.html
+1. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #471
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
+1. Thank you!
I haven't had a bad kit from them. Been brewing on and off for about six years. Let us know how it turns out and don't be afraid to play with their recipes.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #472
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
I have used Northern Brewery, Austin Homebrew Store, and my LHBS all with good beer success. Overall I like Austin Homebrew because the ingredients are fresher and they use vial yeast. I have had better starters with their yeast. Yeast is important.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #473
ndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ndsgr's Tacoma Gallery
Jolly Pumpkin sour bottle dregs, stepped up from 400mL to 1L. Smells awesome. I wasn't expecting krausen though.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #474
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought stuff to do 3 gal of hard cider. Can't wait. Basically have no idea what I'm doing, lol.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #475
SilverBack76 is on a distinguished road

Army: 1SG, RSLC, Fort Benning, Ga
Name: Brian
SilverBack76's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlife View Post
anyone tried Redds apple ale? It's actually pretty good. Got a 6 pack the other night and kinda like apple juice with a bite
Try Angry Orchard crisp apple...good stuff, and you can put a shot of cinnamon whiskey and it's like a apple pie...the Captain works well too.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #476
SilverBack76 is on a distinguished road

Army: 1SG, RSLC, Fort Benning, Ga
Name: Brian
SilverBack76's Tacoma Gallery
As you can see in my avatar. Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. Have a bottle of Yetti in the fridge aging.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #477
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Just bought stuff to do 3 gal of hard cider. Can't wait. Basically have no idea what I'm doing, lol.
Cleanliness is Godliness.
Disinfect EVERYTHING that touches your brew. Odds are you don't have anything that'll ruin it, but you don't want to run that risk.
I got sloppy with my bleaching a while ago, on a 6-gallon run of hard cider. Six months in the fermenter and $35 of cider, all I had to show for it was 6 gallons of low-acid vinegar.
So make sure EVERYTHING is clean!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #478

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack76 View Post
As you can see in my avatar. Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. Have a bottle of Yetti in the fridge aging.
Love Young's. Don't drink it that often because it's pricey (I can brew 5 gallons for what it costs me for a 4-pack!), but I did a knock-off a while back that turned out pretty good. I used to much cocoa though, and gave the beer a sour note, so I had to toss some lactose into it. It ended up a little sweeter than the Young's, but still was damn tasty. That batch didn't last quite as long as I would have liked....
Old 09-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #479
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
Cleanliness is Godliness.
Disinfect EVERYTHING that touches your brew. Odds are you don't have anything that'll ruin it, but you don't want to run that risk.
I got sloppy with my bleaching a while ago, on a 6-gallon run of hard cider. Six months in the fermenter and $35 of cider, all I had to show for it was 6 gallons of low-acid vinegar.
So make sure EVERYTHING is clean!
Thanks. I'm doing 3 gal in individual jugs so if I taint one, hopefully they won't all be wasted. I have several friends who brew beer but no one I know does cider. I really like cider so I'm hoping I can get something drinkable out of it.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #480
KnoxTac0713 is a splendid one to beholdKnoxTac0713 is a splendid one to beholdKnoxTac0713 is a splendid one to beholdKnoxTac0713 is a splendid one to beholdKnoxTac0713 is a splendid one to beholdKnoxTac0713 is a splendid one to beholdKnoxTac0713 is a splendid one to beholdKnoxTac0713 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
KnoxTac0713's Tacoma Gallery
Drinking New Belgium Pump Kick right now. Have this line up waiting: