Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

The Beer Nerd - what are you drinking / brewing thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #901
Beerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Beerrun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
Yeah buddy!!! Just got a half pallet of my favorite double IPA Myrcenary. Sadly I only have two cases at my current location. Stocked up a few other places I'm hoping to get snowed in the next few weeks.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #902
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrun View Post
Yeah I said it. I had to do it once in my life. I was with my buddy when he ordered a full pallet. I'm not that baller yet.

I'm having a Ranger IPA right now. Gotta support the locals.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:33 AM   #903
Mr Lazy
mr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
mr optimist's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah buddy!!! Just got a half pallet of my favorite double IPA Myrcenary. Sadly I only have two cases at my current location. Stocked up a few other places I'm hoping to get snowed in the next few weeks.
You do not screw around with your volume...
Old 01-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #904
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr optimist View Post
You do not screw around with your volume...
This is a recent thing for me. Just trying it out. I normally buy the ones I like by the case.

Found a place the other day that had 3 philosophers on tap. Which is crazy for being in Colorado and to get that beer on tap, I enjoyed a few.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #905
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Post Porterhouse. On to dessert.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #906
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Today I went back to work for the first time in like a month. This seemed appropriate last night:

Also, had a job interview this morning, that I didn't screw up. So I figured busting out something nice was in order:

One of my favorite beers right now ^^^
Old 01-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #907
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Holy shit! I'd be worried about it losing flavor.... you don't exactly want to age doubles.... or do you have big parties all the time

Quote:
This is a recent thing for me. Just trying it out. I normally buy the ones I like by the case.

Found a place the other day that had 3 philosophers on tap. Which is crazy for being in Colorado and to get that beer on tap, I enjoyed a few.
That's a good beer. I've had it on tap a number of places in CA though
Old 01-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #908
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Holy shit! I'd be worried about it losing flavor.... you don't exactly want to age doubles....
I agree with this statement with a run of the mill IIPA , but IMO a two or three year old 120 minute works damn well with me.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #909
metrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/Paramedic
metrick1215's Tacoma Gallery
well i thought i would contribute.. I make my own rum and love rum, but that being said, i went to england over Christmas, and tried some really good beers. I dont remember all the flavors but the few that stuck in my brain were Strongbow which is like an cider, we had apple flavored and pear. Green Goblin which was really nice and not to stout.. Hobgoblin was really good, a darker beer but had a great flavor.

Also brought back some true Wormwood absinthe Really really good stuff.. but you have to like licorice..

Old 01-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #910
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
I agree with this statement with a run of the mill IIPA , but IMO a two or three year old 120 minute works damn well with me.
I have heard of folks doing that with the 120. I still don't think it's a good idea, personally. To me, Pliny is the pinnacle of doubles. First time I went to RR I asked 'em about aging it and they said not to. So, I don't. IMO any IPA is better the fresher it is.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #911
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

American double IPAs main character is massive hop aroma. A 2-3 year old 120 minute or any other heavily dry hopped beer will have very little hop aroma left. You may like that but it is not at all what the brewer wants you to do with the beer.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #912
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have heard of folks doing that with the 120. I still don't think it's a good idea, personally. To me, Pliny is the pinnacle of doubles. First time I went to RR I asked 'em about aging it and they said not to. So, I don't. IMO any IPA is better the fresher it is.
I am a moderately large fan of barleywines, so some II's do well for me aged. This weekend, a three year old 120 along with a four year old Hopslam are coming out, can't hardly wait. I also have a bad habit of hoarding and experimentally aging things that are not "supposed" to be aged. Some are spectacular, some are utter failures.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #913
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
American double IPAs main character is massive hop aroma. A 2-3 year old 120 minute or any other heavily dry hopped beer will have very little hop aroma left. You may like that but it is not at all what the brewer wants you to do with the beer.
This is not always true. I have met a few brewmasters ( Dogfish, Rogue, Duck-Rabbit, etc.) that are all for experimentation with their beer. It's not about what it is, it's about what it may be. I am all for enjoying a strong fresh IIPA in it's intended time frame, but Beer is an art that should be experimented with. Sure, it may not be the intended flavor profile, but change is good. and I'm sure that you have enjoyed a 120, and massive hop it is not.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #914
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am a moderately large fan of barleywines, so some II's do well for me aged. This weekend, a three year old 120 along with a four year old Hopslam are coming out, can't hardly wait. I also have a bad habit of hoarding and experimentally aging things that are not "supposed" to be aged. Some are spectacular, some are utter failures.
Barleywine != double IPA. Whatever floats yer boat I guess. I stand by my previous statements.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #915
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Barleywine != double IPA. Whatever floats yer boat I guess. I stand by my previous statements.
I will agree that with hops, dry or wet, fresh= better. I just enjoy letting unintended flavors meld and develop over time. Do I want a three month old Rampant, fuck no. Do I like experimenting with my own and others beer, fuck yeah.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #916

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Holy shit! I'd be worried about it losing flavor.... you don't exactly want to age doubles.... or do you have big parties all the time

That's a good beer. I've had it on tap a number of places in CA though
Yeah we are having a few large party's it will be gone by the end of the month. On the three philosophers we have so many local breweries it was a shock to see one from that far away on tap.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #917
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrick1215 View Post
well i thought i would contribute.. I make my own rum and love rum, but that being said, i went to england over Christmas, and tried some really good beers. I dont remember all the flavors but the few that stuck in my brain were Strongbow which is like an cider, we had apple flavored and pear. Green Goblin which was really nice and not to stout.. Hobgoblin was really good, a darker beer but had a great flavor.

Also brought back some true Wormwood absinthe Really really good stuff.. but you have to like licorice..

Sorry but that Strongbow is the worse shit I ever had! I had it on Tap at a pub in the UK and I wanted to punch myself. . . However a lot of the Cast Beers in York were amazing!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #918
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Awesome ^^^

I've been blowing it in posting in here myself....

I can't remember if I posted this one... but this was probably my favorite Christmas ale this season:

The "local" guys (not bad at all, but the pricing is sometimes ridiculous for what it is):

Got this for Christmas from my sister - somehow she found the only beer from Anderson Valley that I haven't had (and I thought I'd had 'em all!):

Also got this one from my sister... pretty good. But a little more "fruity" than I care for:

Thought this one was pretty good. Kinda run'o the mill double. Drinkable and tasty, but didn't blow my socks off.

Hadn't had 90 minute in a while.. mostly because the prices are absurd for what it is IMO, but it was on sale so I grabbed a four pack the other night:

...and I think I'm current. At least for what I uploaded to TW.

What have the rest of you guys been drinking lately?
Try 90 on Tap or 120 in the bottle. . . Thank me later.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #919

RAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudbuzz View Post
Love my Ol' Lady! Gifting me this bad boy for Christmas. Going to cellar this one for a special occasion! Cheers!

+1!

Did you try DBA? The Double British Ale or Sucaba? Merlin? Ohh dear lawd. . . . your taste buds will thank you all night long! Firestone does it proper. . .
Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #920
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah we are having a few large party's it will be gone by the end of the month. On the three philosophers we have so many local breweries it was a shock to see one from that far away on tap.
Hell yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD View Post
Try 90 on Tap or 120 in the bottle. . . Thank me later.
I've had both....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD View Post
+1!

Did you try DBA? The Double British Ale or Sucaba? Merlin? Ohh dear lawd. . . . your taste buds will thank you all night long! Firestone does it proper. . .
DBA = Double Barrel Ale, FYI. And most of what firestone puts out in a 6 pack is pretty mediocre IMO. They're fairly local to me... I've had most of their stuff. Velvet Marlin isn't that great either. IMO of course. I honestly don't get the growing hype about them over the last couple of years.