1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Temp Control For 3 Gallons.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Runn0r, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Sep 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    Runn0r

Runn0r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    I'm a noob home brewer, having only completed a Mr. Beer kit, but im looking into a 3 gallon carboy and soda keg, possibly a 2.5 gal secondary. Anyhow I was wondering if any of you guys brew small 3 Gallon batches and what your temperature control methods are?

Aside buying a small gutted fridge, I am contemplating the idea of building a wood frame....which will contain a 2-layer (blue foam) box to hold the carboy. Then, I would heat/cool the box with a peltier module on each side, one hot one cold, connected to a digital thermostat, that would cut them on/off to maintain perfect fermentation temp.

I was just curious as to what methods are used. I have seen 60 watt light bulbs etc.. I want to create the ideal environment.

2. Sep 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    like you have a pretty good idea on what you want to accomplish. May want to give Northern Brewer a look. They have some pretty quality stuff good prices and ship fast.
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/johnson-controls-a419-digital-temp-controller.html

3. Sep 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    Runn0r

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
  4. Sep 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I use a heating pad for my mead, but I keep it around 80 degrees for 3 months.

5. Sep 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    Runn0r

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    I've thought about many different cheap ways to control the temp. I guess the main thing is that sometimes my apt. is too hot and other times too cold to be optimal. These peltier plates have gotten a lot cheaper recently. For example:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10080

These may not work on 6-gal batches but maybe on small ones. This way you could have hot/cold control all year hopefully.

6. Sep 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Make a "cooler" out of foam (buy the cheap coolers from the grocery store and cut the sides out to get panel material).
    Put the carboy inside and the foam will help to isolate from the temperature variances of the house.

Peltiers work, but they require a bit of a support structure... heat sinks on both sides and fans to circulate the air on both sides.

7. Sep 24, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    Runn0r

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    Roger that. Im thinking about using a 12V computer power supply or transformer. I found a cheap digital thermostat on ebay with a relay output that should work well. I think its able to be calibrated too which i could check with another thermometer.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
To Top