LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Filtration

Old 10-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Filtration

I diddint see a thread right off on filtration, but I thought i'd ask; does anyone filter their final product? I was watching a guy who ran his cider from carboy to keg to filter to keg. It seemed to remove quite a bit of sediment. He was saying it removed much of the (dead yeast). From what I gather, secondary fermentation in a smaller carboy is also done to clean up the beer.

The question is: Skip secondary fermentation, and just filter the final beer instead?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
I have found best results by leaving my beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks. I generally give it a thorough shake after 10-12 days so as to put all of the original trub into suspension again. By the time this has fallen out again the beer is generally pretty clear.

Before I keg my beer I try to move it to the elevated position at least four days prior so as everything can be settled. When I rack it off of the trub I also tend to leave a little more than necessary so as to not pick up sediment.

Disclaimer: This has been my personal experience based on my experience brewing on my own and with other (read that - good ) brewers. Your mileage may vary; but it still makes beer.