Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Alcohol: Wine, Beer, Sorry, I'm Bored

Old 11-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
Alcohol: Wine, Beer, Sorry, I'm Bored

So, in my post-Thanksgiving boredom, I came to my favorite website and was looking through the forum list and saw the homebrewing room. There isn't a lot of action in there, so I decided I'd add to the inactivity with my own thread

I've brewed beer twice, wine numerous times, as well as some other "brewing"

I figured I'd share my (in)experience with anyone willing to read about it.

I got my first beer brewing kit as a 21st birthday present and that started it all. I ventured off from the Mr. Brew kit and started doing my own 'real' beer and it turned out okay. I'm nota beer drinker, so I started reading up on other home-brewing stuff and decided to give wine-making a try. Fortunately for me, I have a lot of family and family friends who have been making wine (and other stuff) since my parents were in diapers, so they helped A LOT. My first batch was an apple wine, made simply from Welch's apple juice; I did this batch without help and it turned out to be around 5%, but tasted pretty good. After getting 'shown the ropes', I tried the exact same recipe with a little more knowledge on acidity, sugar, yeast, and fermentation, and it came out at 15% and tasted like something you'd actually pay for; it yielded about 3 gallons and I still have 2 aging...we got impatient and drank the first gallon after about 2 months. Sticking to the same basic recipe, I've made wine from all kinds of different bases: apple juice, white and purple grape juice, muscadines, peaches, and pears. Well, wine got boring, so I ventured into "other" stuff and it came out at an EXTREMELY high alcohol content; making this stuff has a hell of a lot more twists and turns and is way harder to yield good results, but, after about 4-5 tries, I finally got something drinkable. After proving to myself that I could make that, I've simply gone back to wine and am happy making it.

Here's my favorite recipe:

Apple Wine (makes 5 gallons)
- 5 gallons apple juice/cider
- 2 lbs sugar
- 1 pack of yeast
- 1 tbsp yeast nutrient
- 100 mL potassium/sodium metabisulfite