Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Anyone else brew beer?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #21
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
I used to brew beer but my wife hates the smell of hops. As much as I love it I mainly do wine now and an occasional batch of Mead. Last year I made close to 300 bottles.
my girlfriend hates the smell of hops when i'm boiling. I just got a garage and will set up my brewery this weekend (or next if i can) and will be boiling out there from now on.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #22
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
fermented fruit makes the most alcoholic brew. I made some apple beer about a year ago. It fermented for 6 weeks, bubbling away in the corner. I have no idea what the percentage is, but I swear drinking just one bottle makes me pretty drunk, and I drink pretty regularly.Plus its dirt-cheap to make.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #23
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm looking for an outdoor propane burner for brewing so i can set up my garage brewery. What do you guys use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
fermented fruit makes the most alcoholic brew. I made some apple beer about a year ago. It fermented for 6 weeks, bubbling away in the corner. I have no idea what the percentage is, but I swear drinking just one bottle makes me pretty drunk, and I drink pretty regularly.Plus its dirt-cheap to make.
Okay good to hear.. my strawberry wheat knocked me on my ass.. I'm gonna do a watermellon wheat next.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm looking for an outdoor propane burner for brewing so i can set up my garage brewery. What do you guys use?
I don't have one myself. I'm still using the gas stove... which takes FOREVER. But I've thought about getting one of those huge gas burners they sell at a flea market near me. That or maybe one of those burners you see for peanut boilers.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #25
Desert Rat
AzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to all

AzPrerunner05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycumulus View Post

Okay good to hear.. my strawberry wheat knocked me on my ass.. I'm gonna do a watermellon wheat next.
The Bayou Classic is a great outdoor burner, simple and well built. Think it was like $60 bucks, goes strait to propane tank. Burns efficiently too
Old 04-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #26
Desert Rat
AzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to all

AzPrerunner05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
You using kegs or bottles? I'm thinking of shifting to kegs because keeping all the bottles and cleaning them is a royal pain. As far as cloning, I've done a few and none turn out exactly like the beer I'm trying to recreate. I know that New Belgium has their own special yeast, which gives it that unique biscuit-like flavor. So the clone I have uses a different yeast and grain ingredients to supposedly get the right flavor. It'll probably be good no matter what.

My Wife makes wine. Her latest one was super good.
Kegging my beer. Less bottles to deal with, no capping. Getting the carbonation right was a bit of a trick at first, getting it down though with the CO2 tank. If you want to keg you can always naturally carbonate it with sugar and then tap, you won't have to pressure with CO2.

As for New Belgium's yeast, that is def an issue with cloning. I'm guessing that most these craft beers that distribute probably culture their own yeast, something I'm looking at right now.

Oh and my hop crowns shipped today
Old 04-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #27
Sinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Logistics, Beans, Bullets and spare parts..
Name: Mike
Sinister's Tacoma Gallery
Just picked up my starter kit today. Got the water boiling on the stove and everything is sanitized. Decided on my first brew is going to be Newcastle Brown by Brewcraft. Figured couldnt go wrong with ale. You guys got any pics of your setups?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #28
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
all these posts made me thirsty and wanting to make my own ish. go here to show off your stuff
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...tml#post561741
Old 04-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #29
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
so is this like moonshine?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #30
Sinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of light

Nope. This is beer brewed in your home..
Old 05-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Here I sit drinking a bottle of Yingling-and I could be brewing beer that'll knock me on my ass for 50 cents a bottle...WHERE THE FUCK DO I SIGN UP!!!!

(and by that I mean...What is a good way to start?)
Find a home brew store. a lot of breweries will know where one is, or just google it for your area and get a starter kit. Get something easy to start yourself on (like a basic ale or something) as you'll be learning how to play with all the new toys (it'll look like you're making meth!) and you'll be off and rolling right away. Its easy and fun and smells great and what an awesome gift when you go to a friends house and say "Yah, brought you some beer... I made it."

BEST PART: drink a beer while bottling.. then when you're done drinking the beer, sanitize the bottle you were using, and fill it with beer!! The ultimate form of recycling!!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #33

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...Cat=11166&fd=1

Check here for Starter Kits.. Decent kit for a great price.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #34

Just bottled my first batch of beer that was not made with MR BEER. NewCastle Brown.. Smelled like the real stuff..

What do you guys use for sanitizing your equipment before and after the brew?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:13 AM   #35
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Here's the process I try to stick to.
First clean, you can't sanitize something that's dirty. Wash with soap and water and a non abrasive sponge. you don't want to create any grooves in the plastic bucket (if that's what you're using). They create places for bacteria to hide and grow.

Now sanitize. I usually wait to do this until the day I'm ready to use the equipment. I'll usually wash it again just before I sanitize it, if it's been a long time since the last time it was washed. I use StarSan concentrated liquid. Dilute 1oz in 5 gallons of water. It's really foamy, but they say that helps. It's no rinse and they say the surfaces don't have to be completely dry before using them. I use it on everything but my brewpot. I've used diluted bleach too, but it takes longer to sanitize and you have to rinse afterwards.

Another tip for the Star San, I soaked some copper bottom pots and pans in it and it took off alot of the oxidation on the copper. Also it works pretty well in a spray bottle as a mild around the house cleaner.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #36
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I use one that came with a turkey fryer kit. Don't remember who makes it, but it rocks. It's easy to get a really good boil, just hard to maintain it so it doesn't boil over. Overall, much better than the kitchen stove or my coleman propane stove.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #37

Thanks Afd23a. I used a diluted solution of iodine on the bottles, and some no rinse for the bucket on the first batch. But the burning sensation from the no-rinse made me think there was something better to use. Will have to check out the Star san when I go back to the brew store for more supplies. And a burner for outside is gonna be a must. My kitchen is just not layed out for brewing. Not enough counterspace. Plus its bad enough it Vegas, and summer is here. Don't need to heat up the house. Who/what are you using for extract or malt kits?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #38

So where does everyone get their equipment from?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #39
The Silver blurr...
Tracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TRACY
Tracy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ive been brewing for 3 years about.

heres a strawberry ale i was making. god damn it was good
UNHOLY! you have been holding out on us??? bring some to the next meet! lol.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #40
The Silver blurr...
Tracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTracy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TRACY
Tracy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
so is this like moonshine?
ahhh...moonshine! now that's some crazy homemade 100% alcohol that is gonna get everyone feeling all types of stuff. lol.