Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Anyone else brew beer?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #42
Flyin' Squirrel is a jewel in the roughFlyin' Squirrel is a jewel in the roughFlyin' Squirrel is a jewel in the roughFlyin' Squirrel is a jewel in the rough

Flyin' Squirrel's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! It's so cool to see so many homebrewers on this site. I started homebrewing years ago, fell in love with craft brewing, stuck with it and now am an assistant brewer at a local brewpub. I haven't done much homebrewing since I started the job, but I can honestly say that I brew at least three times a week!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #44
bigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud of
Name: mike
bigyetti's Tacoma Gallery
you had me at brewing. i am a chef but never tried it myself. my good freind does it and i just buy what he tells me to .
Old 08-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #45
Sinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Logistics, Beans, Bullets and spare parts..
Name: Mike
Sinister's Tacoma Gallery
Unholy, can you post or pm me your recipe? Would love to try that..
Old 08-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #46
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Unholy, can you post or pm me your recipe? Would love to try that..
Yup

Start with a basic Belgian Wheat

6lbs Bavarian Wheat Dried Malt Extract
1.5 Liberty 60mins
0.5 Liberty 5mins

0.5 curacao
0.5 sweet orange peel
0.25 corriander

Ferment with white labs belgian wit ale yeast
Add spices in a hop bag at the last min of the boil and steep for 20 mins

7-10 days into initial fermentation, secondary 2.5-3 of those smaller sweeter pureed, then frozen watermelon. I found it easier to then re-puree the frozen watermelon (freeze to kill bacteria)

Secondary for a good 5-7 days

bottle with a full cup of corn sugar OR just keg that shit

The end
Old 09-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #47
Husker_in_KC has a spectacular aura aboutHusker_in_KC has a spectacular aura about
Husker_in_KC's Tacoma Gallery
hhmmm have to make at least 8-10 batches a year. My favorites are from Northern Brewery like he Baltic Porter and some of the new funky\seasonal brews. Dam I am stuck here at home while GABFEAST is going on.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #49
Western Alliance
bauermike is on a distinguished road

Army: 25th Inf Div STRYKER, 10th Mountain DIV
bauermike's Tacoma Gallery
I have been experimenting with Cherries. It works well in Octoberfest Lagers. Boosts the alcohol content pretty well too.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:05 AM   #51
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone likes fat tire, a local homebrew store makes their own clone of it (can be ordered over the net). I've made it a few times and it's really good. Not exactly like fat tire, but damn good. Some friends who don't really like beer and they asked me to make them a case!

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingc...xtract%29.html
Old 08-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #52
Three Percenter
SampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Steve
SampleFool's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my Mr. Beer for my bday and got some Blonde Ale brewing right now.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #53
Xshark will become famous soon enough

Name: Michael
Xshark's Tacoma Gallery
I've been brewing for several years now, but I'm still using extracts.

I have upgraded to kegging, however. That beats bottling.

This past weekend I moved my "Newcastle Brown Ale" clone into the keg and my "Negra Modelo" clone into the secondary fermenter. I'll keg that in about 2 weeks then force carbonate them both.

Maybe next spring I'll build a lauter tun and start all-grain brewing.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/
Old 10-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #54
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
**** I do not brew myself (at the time), but I have helped different friends brew a couple batches the different ways*****

A friend of mine just finished getting his 3 tier system setup to a 2 tier system with a pump and hot water circulator system. It used to be job for 2 people - but with the pump and the hot water circ system it is an easy job for one person. He has been doing the all-grain brewing for the last 4-5 years.

Sorry about the quality of the pic - I took it with my phone when we were waiting on the water to get to temp to start the mash soak. This pic is from the last batch we brewed before he added his pump and hot water circ.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #55
Hillbilly 4X4
Pat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to all

Pat 13's Tacoma Gallery
Another brewer here, have been for years, all grain all the time. Also do wine, mead and hard cider. Just finished keggin a Scottish heavy along with an oatmeal stout and just bottled a Syrah. Next I need to bottel a chocolate mead and gettin ready to start a hard cider.

Any other brewers in the area?

Anyone want to learn?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #56
desmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: State Trooper
Name: Dave
desmo2's Tacoma Gallery
My wife bought me a Mr. Beer for Christmas (love that woman!). It is very basic, but so is my brewing knowledge. My first batch is nearing completion, but I used softened tap water and am not expecting much. Next time I will use store-bought filtered water, and add an UME to get a more full-bodied beer.

I like amber beers like Fat Tire and Sam Adams (SA Octoberfest, especially), so that is the style of beer I want to brew. Anyone familiar with the Mr. Beer extracts who can tell me the best way to achieve this?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #57
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
My older brother has gotten pretty good at brewing. Been doing it for a few years now, here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone else brew beer?-img_0280.jpg   Anyone else brew beer?-img_0281.jpg   Anyone else brew beer?-img_0282.jpg   Anyone else brew beer?-img_0487.jpg   Anyone else brew beer?-img_0488.jpg  

Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #58
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
A few more outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone else brew beer?-photo-3-.jpg   Anyone else brew beer?-photo-4-.jpg   Anyone else brew beer?-img_0284.jpg   Anyone else brew beer?-photo.jpg  
Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #59
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat 13 View Post
Another brewer here, have been for years, all grain all the time. Also do wine, mead and hard cider. Just finished keggin a Scottish heavy along with an oatmeal stout and just bottled a Syrah. Next I need to bottel a chocolate mead and gettin ready to start a hard cider.

Any other brewers in the area?

Anyone want to learn?
Hell yea I want to learn. Not in the area but maybe I'll cross down that way on a road trip to a buddy's wedding in kentucky in july.

How much do you think it costs to get everything you need to start brewing? is there a particular kit you would reccomend? you google home brew kits and you get a million things, but I dont know anything about it so I dont know what is good or not.

Thanks for any help
Old 01-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #60
Hillbilly 4X4
Pat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to all

Pat 13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
Hell yea I want to learn. Not in the area but maybe I'll cross down that way on a road trip to a buddy's wedding in kentucky in july.

How much do you think it costs to get everything you need to start brewing? is there a particular kit you would reccomend? you google home brew kits and you get a million things, but I dont know anything about it so I dont know what is good or not.

Thanks for any help
You can start off with the basics for about $200. You can use extract or kit ($20-40), do a partial boil (large stock pot), and bottle (save the non-screw tops). You will need a few other things but it will depend on what you want to do.

Here is a free on-line book to get started with:
http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

There are also a few forums with lots of members to help out. You might be able to find someone local that can show you.