Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Anyone else brew beer?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #101
pequeno keeblero
El Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
El Taco Sucio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
Are you on any brew forums? There is a lot of good (and bad) info out there; but usually there are a lot of good "beginner" threads. That said; give us a run down on what you are doing.
The best I've found is homebrewtalk.com
Old 11-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #102
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Taco Sucio View Post
The best I've found is homebrewtalk.com
Yeah; I've been a lurker over there for a while and recently made a user under the same forum name as here.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #103
pequeno keeblero
El Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Taco Sucio is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Yeah; I've been a lurker over there for a while and recently made a user under the same forum name as here.
I'm n2fooz over there.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #104
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The have some pretty good Cyber Monday deals listed over there. I ordered a keg and some more faucet hardware for less than $50.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #105
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you on any brew forums? There is a lot of good (and bad) info out there; but usually there are a lot of good "beginner" threads. That said; give us a run down on what you are doing.
Yea, I'm on home brew talk and have found them very usefull!

Quote:
By cidery do you mean sour? Any of them gushers or excessively carbonated?
My first batch was sour and every beer was a gusher. This time around they are slightly sweet and taste of cider like a Strongbow or even apple juice.
As for what I did the second time, I followed the instructions on the kit. I used 1kg of dextrose for the fermentation and a cup and a quarter to a half for priming. I've heard that by using Dextrose and not DME as well as the supplied yeast you can get these off favours.....when I crack a beer there is smoke in the neck of the bottle like any other beer. When I pour it in the glass there is a nice head but that disappears quickly and the beer tasted like its been sitting out for a while, ie semi flat and it lacks any body/mouth feel. Next time around I'll be using DME, a much better yeast and I might even do a partial extract brew but that might be a little advanced for me just yet.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #106
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here's the system I've been building:

I decided to automate my HLT and MLT temps so I added auto gas valves and wired up a control box:

Should be ready to brew in a couple weeks...

Nice!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #107
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigB View Post

My first batch was sour and every beer was a gusher. This time around they are slightly sweet and taste of cider like a Strongbow or even apple juice.
As for what I did the second time, I followed the instructions on the kit. I used 1kg of dextrose for the fermentation and a cup and a quarter to a half for priming. I've heard that by using Dextrose and not DME as well as the supplied yeast you can get these off favours.....when I crack a beer there is smoke in the neck of the bottle like any other beer. When I pour it in the glass there is a nice head but that disappears quickly and the beer tasted like its been sitting out for a while, ie semi flat and it lacks any body/mouth feel. Next time around I'll be using DME, a much better yeast and I might even do a partial extract brew but that might be a little advanced for me just yet.
Either you have some infection or maybe you are way under hopping. I don't think DME vs Dextrose is your issue, but DME is preferred. You may be waiting too long to bottle and have little live yeast for carbonation.

Fresh yeast is pretty important, if you have any brewpubs or craft breweries near you start making friends. They can hook you up with yeast, a 10 oz slurry of yeast is about right for a 5 gallon batch. A little fresh yeast at bottling time can ensure carbonation too.

A lot of unknowns.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #108

Yeast was the first thing that came to mind when I read that also. It is really important that there is still a decent enough amount of active yeast once bottled to begin the carbonation. Along those lines; are you storing the fresh bottles at the right temp for yeast or are you storing it out of the fermentation temps?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #109
pequeno keeblero
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigB View Post

• Ferment temp?
  • how long?
  • Did you measure both starting and ending specific gravity? Were the numbers what you expected?
  • What yeast did you use?
  • Bottle conditioning temp?
  • How long since bottling?
  • What style of beer is it supposed to be

it sounds like you may need to let the ciderey batch sit longer. Green Apple flavor is common when tasting beer that's too young.
The fact that you said the head goes away also points to your bottle condition time not being long enough.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #110

My keggle passed it's water test today. Hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday I will brew my first beer with it. I'm waiting on FedEx with the last of my needed parts.