Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Homebrewing basics.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Homebrewing basics.

Homebrewing... Where to begin.

Home brewing beer became federally legal in 1978 and one can legally brew up to 200 gallons of home brewed beer a year, depending on state and local laws please consult with localities before pursuing.

Now keep in mind this is home brewed beer, mead or wine not the fermentation and distillation of spirits. No moon shining folks, don't want to see any Popcorn Sutton's on here.

A basic kit for homebrewing beer will include a primary fermentation vessel (carboy or food grade bucket) a bottling bucket (food grade). Various items including brushes, hydrometers, airlocks, thermometer strips, siphons, bottle capper and instructions. These can be picked up for anywhere between $80 and $100 or so. The more complicated or advanced the kit the more the price will run you. Other items you will need are a 20 quart stainless steel pot for brewing the wort and a thermometer for measuring the temp of the wort. Another item I found that works well... A propane turkey fryer sans aluminum pot. That lil mug will get your water and wort up to a reasonable temp and maintain it well better than a stove.

After you aquire your kit get with a local brew shop and learn the lingo. They are your best bet for help and advice. Get a book from them and read it, I recommend "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing".

Understand that cleanliness has nothing on sanitation when it comes to homebrewing. Sanitaize, Sanitaize and Sanitize. DO NOT USE SOAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! During the brewing/fermentaion process and soap residue will leech into the wort/beer as it ferments and you will be stuck with a nice Dawn or Palmolive Pale Ale that tastes like shit. Use sanitizers like Iodophor or a one step cleanser. I have found that bleach works fairly well in extreme circumstances.

Bottles, use the non twist off type and the browner the better. UV light kills the brew. Avoid clear bottles and green bottles, UV light will skunk your beer.

Now personally I am only into the malt extraxt for now and have not delved into mashing and sparging yet.

A few business's I have dealt with in the Northwest are:
The Cellar
Mountain Hombrew

Another thread will cover lingo and beer types.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Neato!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
There will be more...

As I sober up...
Old 05-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
sliverworm is a jewel in the roughsliverworm is a jewel in the roughsliverworm is a jewel in the rough

sliverworm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sliverworm
You can purchase kits online at.

www.austinhomebrew.com

I personally used to do beer but id rather move to soda as I enjoy that more
Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I've made my own wine before using the proper stuffs. Not too hard, just didn't turn out that good, but for the price its right.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
i'll be keeping an eye on this forum. i've always wanted to try brewing but i've never had a really good temperature controlled place to try it
Old 05-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Sinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Logistics, Beans, Bullets and spare parts..
Name: Mike
Sinister's Tacoma Gallery
ND, I hear you. So here in Vegas I keep the beer in a closet under the stairs. Dark and cool. Also, you can use the "swamp cooler" method of having the wort bucket sit in a pan of water. And they make a chiller that looks like a piece off a Moonshine Still.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
Desert Riding Ninja
A.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Graphics Artist
A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
I have all the gear, but no one around me knows how to do it, and i am kinda scared to try it out on my own. Bought a nice setup from a home brewer that PCS'd outta here and he didn't need it anymore.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
Sinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of light

AD,

Its not that hard to get started.. can you boil water? Then you can make beer with the basic of ingrediants. Google homebrewing and see what shops popup and head down to one or two of them and hangout. Im sure they would be more then happy to help you out.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, How much space is required for a brewing kit? I want to try in my apartment next year, but am lacking a large space
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #12
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
i have the mr beer kit and bottles i would sell for like 20 bucks + shipping all you need is the refill kit i tryed it once and now im done ill just buy my beer from now on hha
Old 08-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #13
Flyin' Squirrel is a jewel in the roughFlyin' Squirrel is a jewel in the roughFlyin' Squirrel is a jewel in the roughFlyin' Squirrel is a jewel in the rough

Flyin' Squirrel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Hey guys, How much space is required for a brewing kit? I want to try in my apartment next year, but am lacking a large space
I started brewing in a small apartment. You'll need to be able to store a large stainless kettle, one or two 5 gal fermenters and a little over 2 cases of bottles plus some other misc equipment for a single batch of beer. A dark, temperature regulated closet works great for fermenting and storing the beer. You'll also need to take over the kitchen for several hours, so it helps to have tolerant roommates.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #14

don't forget about being able to regulate the temperature of your closet/storage area.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #15
Husker_in_KC has a spectacular aura aboutHusker_in_KC has a spectacular aura about
Husker_in_KC's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody in KC wants to learn to brew, PM me....
Old 10-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #16
yowow is on a distinguished road
yowow's Tacoma Gallery
Carbon filter water and star san. Is the only two things u need to make 'decent' beer. Decent meaning drinkable and taste better then the miller/bud craft beer.

Products Discussed in this Thread