Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

Root Beer

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Root Beer

I have never made beer at home, but always thought it was neat. A few micro brew houses that I have been to also had their own root beer on tap. It tasted awesome!

Anyone ever made root beer? On tap? I would love to try this one of these days....
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
my dad used to as a kid. Something about having to take it immediately from being sun brewed to the freezer or vise versa would cause them to explode and make his dad angry haha. I assume you would be using more sophisticated methods but I will ask him anyway
Old 07-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
hamradio is on a distinguished road
hamradio's Tacoma Gallery
I made it a lot years ago, great stuff. Simple to make, just add the extract, sugar, yeast and water, mix in a 5 gallon plastic pail, let it ferment, bottle and enjoy. It has to be used up fairly quick or it goes bad, but that was never a problem.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Root Beer

Mmmmm Root Beer. I would also love to know who in here has done this.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
are we talking about root beer or actual beer here?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
which is better, IBC or A&W??

personally I like both
Old 07-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
I used to make it in grammar and high school - It was GREAT! We used to save our glass bottles and buy some bottle of stuff from the local Hires Stand and brew it up.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I prefer IBC...
I like MUG root beer, but any kind of root beer is good to me.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
hamradio is on a distinguished road
hamradio's Tacoma Gallery
making root beer

If you want to make your own root beer, look at your biggest grocery store for Hires Root Beer Extract. It comes in a small bottle. If you can't find it there it is still available on the internet, just do a search, but the shipping will probably cost more than the extract. You will need a big 5 gallon plastic pail and bottles, and caps and a capper to put the caps on the bottles. You can use beer bottles or something similar. The directions are usually on the box that the extract comes in. A batch will make about 4 gallons or root beer.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #15
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
rep points to harshest, nice find dood. ima try this as soon as i find all the crap for it oh and good store bought stuff, is virgils root beer. i got some at bevmo mmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-31-2009, 09:19 PM   #16
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
If you're ever near Eagle River, WI check out Steggy's. It's a mom and pop drive-in/restaurant that has home made root beer. You can buy it in gallon jugs. It's quite possibly the best I've ever had (just my opinion). Makes awesome floats. Tastes great even after it goes flat.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:41 PM   #17
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Take the roots out and I'm interested...j/k, I love RB too. Lately I'm collecting Grolsh bottles with the clips on top because I want to start brewing some brewskies too....porters and stouts!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #18
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Those grolsh bottles are the shit man. They hold more and you don't have to buy caps!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #19
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds tasty, I'm gonna have to look into this. Since I don't drink "real" beer this is right down my alley
Old 03-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #20

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I've ordered beer stuff from these guys, but they carry root beer/soda stuff too
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/miscellany/soda

Products Discussed in this Thread