Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Homebrewing

Notices

New To This...

Old 07-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Member Extraordinaire
SoCal Tom has much to be proud ofSoCal Tom has much to be proud ofSoCal Tom has much to be proud ofSoCal Tom has much to be proud ofSoCal Tom has much to be proud ofSoCal Tom has much to be proud ofSoCal Tom has much to be proud ofSoCal Tom has much to be proud ofSoCal Tom has much to be proud of

SoCal Tom's Tacoma Gallery
New To This...

I've been thinking about brewing my own beer for a while and my buddy recently moved out of state and left me his brewing equipment.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What kind of beer should I try to brew first?
2. How difficult is it going to be?

Any help would be great!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Flyin' Squirrel is a jewel in the roughFlyin' Squirrel is a jewel in the roughFlyin' Squirrel is a jewel in the roughFlyin' Squirrel is a jewel in the rough

Flyin' Squirrel's Tacoma Gallery
That's awesome! The equipment is the biggest investment, ingredients are relatively cheap. I would suggest picking up a book with the basics of homebrewing. Brewing is not very complicated, but there are some very important basics that you need to understand (sanitation, styles, terminology, etc.) Then go to your local homebrew store and pick out out a recipe of whatever type of beer you like to drink. They should have plenty of clone recipes to choose from. Stick with ales, because they ferment at room temp where lagers need cooler temps. I would suggest a pale ale, blonde or amber for a start. Also, start with malt extracts or mini-mash batches before attempting all grain batches which require more time and more equipment. Its a very rewarding hobby. Enjoy!