1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Filtration

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Runn0r, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Oct 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    Runn0r

Runn0r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    I diddint see a thread right off on filtration, but I thought i'd ask; does anyone filter their final product? I was watching a guy who ran his cider from carboy to keg to filter to keg. It seemed to remove quite a bit of sediment. He was saying it removed much of the (dead yeast). From what I gather, secondary fermentation in a smaller carboy is also done to clean up the beer.

The question is: Skip secondary fermentation, and just filter the final beer instead?

2. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    I have found best results by leaving my beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks. I generally give it a thorough shake after 10-12 days so as to put all of the original trub into suspension again. By the time this has fallen out again the beer is generally pretty clear.

Before I keg my beer I try to move it to the elevated position at least four days prior so as everything can be settled. When I rack it off of the trub I also tend to leave a little more than necessary so as to not pick up sediment.

Disclaimer: This has been my personal experience based on my experience brewing on my own and with other (read that - good ) brewers. Your mileage may vary; but it still makes beer.

Luv my yota likes this.
  3. Oct 1, 2014 at 4:39 PM
    yowow

yowow Well-Known Member

Member:
    I tried the 1 micron filter. The acordien paper type. I did not notice any difference in the ale quality. And no true yeast filteration verses the cold crashing /irish mosd.

Now if you are making a killer IPA. THEN it will filter the hop parts out.

To Top