Tacoma Satoshi Grills

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > HomerTaco

Notices

Satoshi Bumper Information

Old 12-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #21
nvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to all

Navy: Petty Officer First Class
Name: Matt
nvrenuf's Tacoma Gallery
Started this mod this evening. I plan on taking my time and doing it over the next several days. I didn't realize that the bumper "insert" was going to be so involved. We'll see what happens!

(thanks for the mesh, Craig)
Old 12-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #22
ON VACATION!
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrenuf View Post
Started this mod this evening. I plan on taking my time and doing it over the next several days. I didn't realize that the bumper "insert" was going to be so involved. We'll see what happens!

(thanks for the mesh, Craig)
It takes a while but I think it is one of the most inexpensive ways to customize the front end of the truck...

There aren't a lot of these out there....
Old 04-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmeyer View Post
Ok, I finally took the plunge and did the mod/install on Saturday. I got the mesh from homertaco (thanks, Craig!). It wasn't too hard, but it took me most of the day due to having to look at the pieces and figure out what I wanted to do, not to mention things like epoxy/glue and paint drying time.

Here was my starting point:

Below is the result:
-- Apologies for the poor lighting. It was dark when I finally finished!

Below is the backside of the bumper. As you can see, the "insert" isn't an insert at all. It's just a part of the bumper that goes unpainted.

Below is the bumper immediately following the removal of the inner piece:

Also, a dremel works OK, but not at these angles. Instead, I used my angle grinder with a cut off wheel. It went thru the plastic like butter... just need to have a steady hand!

It took a bit of sanding to get the surface flat:

Here's the side, where there is a pretty large hole left over. I recycled some of the inner plastic to "fill" the hole since the thickness was pretty close. It's actually 2 pieces - 1 to roughly match the size of the hole, and a backing piece to give it better structure/support. The pictures below shows it just after I glued the pieces together. I filled the remaining gap with some gorilla glue. After letting it dry I was able to sand it down relatively flat.

The next step was paint. The image below is the etch primer I used. The only color my local home depot had was "green" etch , making my painting a 2 step process

While I was waiting, painted some screws black too. I used these screws to fasten the top part of the mesh to the bumper. I ended up drilling new holes to match the locations on the mesh.

Another comment is that since the bumper is curved, that you also need to curve the mesh. It's not too hard to do, but it's tricky because the top half of the bumper is not as deep as the bottom half. That makes it harder to get the screws to mount into the bumper and mesh.

subbed. have a grillcraft in place now but looking forward to some matching mx mesh coming from homer, whom directed me to this write-up. uncertain offhand how the grillcraft removal will affect this install. guess i get to remove the bumper again, lol. thanks for the info, alan
Old 11-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #26
azjay is on a distinguished road
azjay's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write up alanmeyer, thank you! You're gonna save me a lot of time. and thanks for posting that link to the bumper skin removal.

I just placed my order with Craig, man I can't wait to get this finished!

Thanks again fellas.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #28
alanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
alanmeyer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjay View Post
Excellent write up alanmeyer, thank you! You're gonna save me a lot of time. and thanks for posting that link to the bumper skin removal.

I just placed my order with Craig, man I can't wait to get this finished!

Thanks again fellas.
Glad I could help! BTW, my HT grill still looks great 2 years later!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #29
Sankofa is on a distinguished road
Sankofa's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your great write up. As soon as i get my lower piece from Craig I'm on it.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #30
alanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
alanmeyer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankofa View Post
Thanks for your great write up. As soon as i get my lower piece from Craig I'm on it.
Pics or it didn't happen