Tacoma Satoshi Grills

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > HomerTaco

Notices

Satoshi Bumper Information

Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Grills for days...
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Satoshi Bumper Information

I figured I would try to not crap up the GB thread with more pics and information...
Here is some better pics of the BUMPER piece for the Satoshi GB Mesh...
My Truck:

(obviously this pic is from before I put the triangle pieces in...)

closer:

Another:

And Another:

From the inside...

As you can see, this in NOT an insert...

I removed all of the plastic cross pieces & formed the mesh to attach from the BACK of the bumper.

The best method I could come up with to install this was zip ties on the ends and 4 screws into the top of the opening to hold it on.

This post is for those of you who are interested in matching the bumper to the grille and/or scoop.

It will probably take longer to do this then install the satoshi insert on the main grill...

I wanted to get full disclosure on this so everyone that has committed to this knows EXACTLY what is involved.

Read post #17 for great how-to info & pics by alanmeyer!

Feel free to post any questions!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
e money is on a distinguished road
e money's Tacoma Gallery
Looks nice man!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the extra info
Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
To clarify, this is not reversible when done, correct?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Grills for days...
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post
To clarify, this is not reversible when done, correct?
You could remove the mesh, then there would just be an open space in the bumper...
The bumper "grill" can't be separated like the upper grill can.
I know this because I disassembled the entire front end when I first completed the Mod.
Why would you want to reverse it anyway?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
Why would you want to reverse it anyway?
I like things back to stock when its time to sell.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
RINZLER
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Stefen
T4C0CH40S's Tacoma Gallery
As far as "removing" the bumper pieces, i havent looked at it yet but how exactly did you remove them?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
RINZLER
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Stefen
T4C0CH40S's Tacoma Gallery
Alright thats what I assumed. Im gunna gave to steal my dads.

The key to all gifts I get for my dad: I always get him something ill probably need to borrow down the road
Old 04-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
06TXED has a spectacular aura about06TXED has a spectacular aura about

Name: Tony
06TXED's Tacoma Gallery
homer, what mesh do you have in the pics above? In the GB it looks like #1 or #2
Old 04-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #13
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
what you used to fill in the holes with???
Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
alanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
alanmeyer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
The handy dandy Dremmel Tool!
Can you provide more details about this? Specifically:

(1) Do you have to remove the bumper or did you make all your mods in place?
(2) Once you dremmeled the old insert out, did you need to fill any gaps or touch up any paint?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #15
CQB 1911 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
CQB 1911's Tacoma Gallery
^
Once you cut out the bumper insert do you need to fill any gaps or touch up any paint?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #16
Grills for days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQB 1911 View Post
^
Once you cut out the bumper insert do you need to fill any gaps or touch up any paint?
Yes, there will be two slots to fill in on either side... There are some small slots left on the top, but I used them to fasten the mesh with a few screws...

I took the damn thing off the truck to do it...
Old 11-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #17
alanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedalanmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Ok, I finally took the plunge and did the mod/install on Saturday. I got the mesh from homertaco (thanks, Craig!). It wasn't too hard, but it took me most of the day due to having to look at the pieces and figure out what I wanted to do, not to mention things like epoxy/glue and paint drying time.

Here was my starting point:

Below is the result:
-- Apologies for the poor lighting. It was dark when I finally finished!

Below is the backside of the bumper. As you can see, the 'insert' isn't an insert at all. It's just a part of the bumper that goes unpainted.

Below is the bumper immediately following the removal of the inner piece:

Also, a dremel works OK, but not at these angles. Instead, I used my angle grinder with a cut off wheel. It went thru the plastic like butter... just need to have a steady hand!

It took a bit of sanding to get the surface flat:

Here's the side, where there is a pretty large hole left over. I recycled some of the inner plastic to 'fill' the hole since the thickness was pretty close. It's actually 2 pieces - 1 to roughly match the size of the hole, and a backing piece to give it better structure/support. The pictures below shows it just after I glued the pieces together. I filled the remaining gap with some gorilla glue. After letting it dry I was able to sand it down relatively flat.

The next step was paint. The image below is the etch primer I used. The only color my local home depot had was 'green' etch , making my painting a 2 step process

While I was waiting, painted some screws black too. I used these screws to fasten the top part of the mesh to the bumper. I ended up drilling new holes to match the locations on the mesh.

Another comment is that since the bumper is curved, that you also need to curve the mesh. It's not too hard to do, but it's tricky because the top half of the bumper is not as deep as the bottom half. That makes it harder to get the screws to mount into the bumper and mesh.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #18
Grills for days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmeyer View Post
Ok, I finally took the plunge and did the mod/install on Saturday. I got the mesh from homertaco (thanks, Craig!). It wasn't too hard, but it took me most of the day due to having to look at the pieces and figure out what I wanted to do, not to mention things like epoxy/glue and paint drying time.

Here was my starting point:

Below is the result:
-- Apologies for the poor lighting. It was dark when I finally finished!

Below is the backside of the bumper. As you can see, the "insert" isn't an insert at all. It's just a part of the bumper that goes unpainted.

Below is the bumper immediately following the removal of the inner piece:

Also, a dremel works OK, but not at these angles. Instead, I used my angle grinder with a cut off wheel. It went thru the plastic like butter... just need to have a steady hand!

It took a bit of sanding to get the surface flat:

Here's the side, where there is a pretty large hole left over. I recycled some of the inner plastic to "fill" the hole since the thickness was pretty close. It's actually 2 pieces - 1 to roughly match the size of the hole, and a backing piece to give it better structure/support. The pictures below shows it just after I glued the pieces together. I filled the remaining gap with some gorilla glue. After letting it dry I was able to sand it down relatively flat.

The next step was paint. The image below is the etch primer I used. The only color my local home depot had was "green" etch , making my painting a 2 step process

While I was waiting, painted some screws black too. I used these screws to fasten the top part of the mesh to the bumper. I ended up drilling new holes to match the locations on the mesh.

Another comment is that since the bumper is curved, that you also need to curve the mesh. It's not too hard to do, but it's tricky because the top half of the bumper is not as deep as the bottom half. That makes it harder to get the screws to mount into the bumper and mesh.

Awesome Job Alan!
This is the write up I wanted to do but never did....
Great detail & effort!
Thank you!
~ Craig
Old 11-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #19
Also, here's the instructions for removing the front bumper:

Tacoma-FrontBumper.pdf

I found it via this link

Enjoy,
-Alan
Old 12-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #20
Sankofa is on a distinguished road
Sankofa's Tacoma Gallery
Looks really nice. Thank you for the write up.