Tacoma Satoshi Grills

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > HomerTaco

Notices

How To: Separate & Reattach the two piece 2nd Gen Grille

Old 07-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #21
King of the grill
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
ok homer ? when you grind out the insert and reattach where does the new melt points come from if you ground all of them down do you buy another insert or what sorry man cant find it on the other post as to how to do that step ive seen how people do it with bondo but just not getting the grind and melt way of doing it any help would be nice thanks homer!!
Punctuation would help....

You do not need to buy a new outer surround. The one you removed by grinding can be reattached with this method. Just simply use masking tape to hold the two pieces together and push the soldering iron into the plastic Bout 1/8 of an inch more to attach it to the same point.
I've done this a bunch of times & it will hold on like factory.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #22
Pillsbry10 is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
Pillsbry10's Tacoma Gallery
just a thought, and keep in mind i dont know how strong the plastic weld holds, but could you not toss it in an oven if you had one big enough to separate the two factory parts?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
King of the grill
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillsbry10 View Post
just a thought, and keep in mind i dont know how strong the plastic weld holds, but could you not toss it in an oven if you had one big enough to separate the two factory parts?
No. The melting point of the ABS Thermoplastic is far too high for that to be effective. It is a grill, not a set of headlights. The individual tabs need to be taken down in order to separate it. The oven trick softens the sealant between the headlight pieces. Your talking two totally different things.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #24
DizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant future
Navy:
Name: Dennis
DizzyZ's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for future reference
Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #26
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
So, am I to assume you are making progress towards producing a 2012 homertoshi???? Pant-pant-pant...
Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #28
King of the grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Garage View Post
So, am I to assume you are making progress towards producing a 2012 homertoshi???? Pant-pant-pant...
I'm picking it up next Tuesday...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Why is there no video for me ?
Pete, the photobucket video won't show on my iPad but when I surf on my laptop or desktop it is here...
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post

Pete, the photobucket video won't show on my iPad but when I surf on my laptop or desktop it is here...
OK Craig , I'll check it out later , thanks
Old 03-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #30
Polar Bear
Stormtrooper23 is on a distinguished road

Stormtrooper23's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks bro. I just got my aftermarket grille assembly, already have it cut out. Satoshi mod finally underway. Had no idea how I was going to fasten the outer part of the grille to the inside part. Those tabs are a bit of a pain in the ass. Your video is perfect. Now all I have to do is round up a soldering gun.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #31
King of the grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper23 View Post
Thanks bro. I just got my aftermarket grille assembly, already have it cut out. Satoshi mod finally underway. Had no idea how I was going to fasten the outer part of the grille to the inside part. Those tabs are a bit of a pain in the ass. Your video is perfect. Now all I have to do is round up a soldering gun.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #32
Polar Bear
Stormtrooper23 is on a distinguished road

Stormtrooper23's Tacoma Gallery
Hey HT. Sorry not really sure where to ask this one. Just have a quick question if you don't mind helping me out. I'm about to do the fiberglass on my Satoshi grille and was wondering if it is OK to put a strip of fiberglass over that notch in the center of the top inside part of the grille? It looks like it might be for the hood latch mechanism but it is not at all. Does it have a purpose?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #33
King of the grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper23 View Post
Hey HT. Sorry not really sure where to ask this one. Just have a quick question if you don't mind helping me out. I'm about to do the fiberglass on my Satoshi grille and was wondering if it is OK to put a strip of fiberglass over that notch in the center of the top inside part of the grille? It looks like it might be for the hood latch mechanism but it is not at all. Does it have a purpose?
None at all, but don't waste your time... Leave it be - you'll never see it once the grill is installed anyway.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #36
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Just a quick question.... as I'm sure this has been covered before.

How much of the tab is left (on the outter) to attach a new inner? Hard to see in the video...but does it poke thru the holes in the inner? Or is it below the hole? (thus taping it together will make them touch and melting can be done?)

Sorry....husband and I were discussing this and I think he's worried about the 'tabs' being cut off and not having enough material for a good hold on the new insert.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #37
King of the grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Just a quick question.... as I'm sure this has been covered before.

How much of the tab is left (on the outter) to attach a new inner? Hard to see in the video...but does it poke thru the holes in the inner? Or is it below the hole? (thus taping it together will make them touch and melting can be done?)

Sorry....husband and I were discussing this and I think he's worried about the 'tabs' being cut off and not having enough material for a good hold on the new insert.
If you grind down flush to the inner surround there is enough to get them back together with plenty of grab.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:09 AM   #38
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
If you grind down flush to the inner surround there is enough to get them back together with plenty of grab.
Thanks! Still looking around at what to get. Assuming all the aftermarket OEM replacements have the same tabs/slots? I just haven't had time to sit down at the computer and look around....
Old 06-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #39
Rez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rez's Tacoma Gallery
Hi Craig, looks like the vids are not working anymore? could you repost them please

Cheers