Tacoma Satoshi Grills

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > HomerTaco

Notices

HomerTaco's Satoshi 101

Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
HomerTaco's Satoshi 101

It's time I put together all the terms & information in one thread. I get these questions over and over so from now on I'll direct folks here who may have questions on the mod.

First off what is "satoshi"???

If you look it up on Wikipedia you get this simple answer: is a masculine Japanese given name.

We on TacomaWorld refer to a satoshi as a custom modified grill that looks like this:

I'm not sure where or when the name was coined for this grill modification, all I know is the first one I saw in person was on a 05' Double Cab that belongs to a former TW Member "Secret Squirrel".
Apparently he was one of the first people to do this mod & it originated elsewhere.

There are many threads posting "how-to's" on different ways to achieve the "Satoshi" look. This thread will concentrate on the terms I use to describe the parts & process.

I am not ready to create a "how-to" of my own process. This thread will serve simply as a reference point to members who want to know more about the mod.

First lets discuss the actual 2nd Gen Grill.
There are two parts to all grills from 2005 to 2011. (2012 is a different design)
The outer surround:

And the inner surround:

The examples shown are aftermarket replacement grills. The OEM grill is plastic welded together.
(It can be separated & re-attached though - see this thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...en-grille.html )

The back of the outer surround has plastic "tabs" that get plastic welded to the inner surround & hold the two together:

__________________________________________________ __________

Now in order to achieve the "satoshi" look, one must remove the center part of the inner surround...

The result of removing that part leaves you with this:

The part that make many people bug out of doing this mod is the body work required to fill in these holes that are left after removing the center of the grill.

There are methods of using Bondo, epoxy, and/or plastic to achieve this.

The end result being an inner surround that looks like this:

__________________________________________________ ___________

Once you have completed all of this the next part of the process is to fill in this open space with mesh. (I have several that I sell here but it is also available online from other vendors)

There are also many methods for securing the mesh to the inner surround. Most of these also involve epoxy in some form or another.

Here process that I use to secure the mesh. It is simple, quick, and very secure.

For those that decide to open the two triangle pieces:

The holes are drilled with a 1/8 bit

For the top of the triangle another hole in the little plastic "bridge" support:

For the main section of the grill you can drill holes in a few strategic locations that will allow you to securely fasten the mesh:

These I did with a 1/4" bit.

The sides:

The bottom:

The top:

This does not require drilling - you can just loop the zip-tie around the factory supports to secure the mesh.

Here is a picture of some M1 mesh mounted using this method:

I have lost count of how many grills I have made, but here are a few more examples of variations on the theme:

A "thin-lip" satoshi, where instead of the mesh being recessed a full 2 1/2" from the front of the grill, it is set back only 3/4".

A "reduced-depth" satoshi where the recess is set at 1 1/2" from the front lip:

(thanks OZ-T)

A "Homeroshi" Grill where the plastic cut outs on the sides are not filled in, but instead mesh is shaped to the new contour of the inner surround:

(thanks rcbs204)

A flush mount mesh grill where a thinner gauge mesh is "sandwiched" between the inner & outer surrounds creating a look similar to a GrillCraft insert:

A Custom cut out of the recessed sides to accommodate custom mesh design:

(My signature "TRD" Grill)

Thank you for looking! I'll post more info here if there is a need.

~ Craig
Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Satoshi is the name of the inventor of this type of grill

http://satoshigrill.blogspot.com/
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
Nice thread
Old 04-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
Greenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Greenbergler's Tacoma Gallery
So you just use zip ties to attatch the mesh?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I might need a satoshi for my F150..
Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
Greenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Greenbergler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
Yes. I had the same Satoshi on my truck for like two years with zero issues using that method.

Can't really help you there.
Cool! Thanks!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #15
mo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant future
Navy: AD2
Name: Marc
mo13's Tacoma Gallery
Is there any help you can give me as to where exactly to cut the grill to make a thin lip satoshi? Is Ive been trying to figure it out and all I can think of is tape the inside and measure about 1.5" from the back and drawing a line and cutting and hoping it works.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #16
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Why don't you at least use Stainless Steel Zip ties for mounting the mesh? When I used to build them I used L-brackets that I fiberglassed into the back of the grille and riveted the mesh to them. I have gotten to see a few of yours in person including a high end Raptor style and you do nice work Homer. Just wondering why cheap out on how the mesh is held?

None the less nice write up and you have a huge waiting list so its working.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #17
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo13 View Post
Is there any help you can give me as to where exactly to cut the grill to make a thin lip satoshi? Is Ive been trying to figure it out and all I can think of is tape the inside and measure about 1.5" from the back and drawing a line and cutting and hoping it works.
Measure in from the front lip of the grill 5/8" or so and cut all the way around.
Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
Why don't you at least use Stainless Steel Zip ties for mounting the mesh? When I used to build them I used L-brackets that I fiberglassed into the back of the grille and riveted the mesh to them. I have gotten to see a few of yours in person including a high end Raptor style and you do nice work Homer. Just wondering why cheap out on how the mesh is held?

None the less nice write up and you have a huge waiting list so its working.
The reason is simple:
My first grill I made I used the standard zip ties. It stayed on my truck for years with zero issues of holding on.
It's not "cheaping out" on how it is fastened - it works well and they are readily available for everyone

You've got to keep in mind that we are attaching two very different materials together here - plastic and metal. I have always erred on the side of caution and have used a fastener that will allow for natural expansion and contraction due to temperature changes.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #19
joshuarubin09 is on a distinguished road
Army: 31 B
Name: Joshua
joshuarubin09's Tacoma Gallery
What are other ways ppl attach the grill that work also? I'm about to do this mod this week and was wondering what other options there were?