Tacoma Satoshi Grills

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > HomerTaco

Notices

Question(s) regarding cutting grill...

Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
White and Nerdy
theTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
theTupper's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to theTupper Send a message via Skype™ to theTupper
Question(s) regarding cutting grill...

1.) As I prepare to cut apart my grill I was just wondering if anyone (HomerTaco?) can offer some advice on how best to remove the triangles from the grill accurately. After inspecting the grill, it all seems pretty straightforward, but my Dremel obviously won't fit the angle needed to cut the triangles from the front. Could you tell me how you accurately remove the pieces for the triangle inserts? I have a tendency to overthink things like this and I'm currently envisioning drilling "marking" holes from the front to trace a template on the reverse and then Dremel it out, but surely there must be an easier way.

2.) As I didn't wish to sacrifice my "working" (read: non-destroyed) grill on this experiment, I ordered a replacement on which to complete the work. It came in two pieces, as expected; the outer surround and the insert - to be connected by melting points. Thing is...I have no soldering gun/iron...any suggestions on alternate ways to attach the two pieces? The redneck in me says blow torch and knife, but I don't want to trash my work if I can avoid it!

Any help you can offer would be gratefully accepted! TIA
Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
White and Nerdy
theTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bump for the night crowd
Old 03-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
White and Nerdy
I thought there must have been someone else to figure this out...guess I may have the topic of my first write up...if I can figure it out myself! ha!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTupper View Post
1.) As I prepare to cut apart my grill I was just wondering if anyone (HomerTaco?) can offer some advice on how best to remove the triangles from the grill accurately. After inspecting the grill, it all seems pretty straightforward, but my Dremel obviously won't fit the angle needed to cut the triangles from the front. Could you tell me how you accurately remove the pieces for the triangle inserts? See Pic below for the tool I use... I have a tendency to overthink things like this and I'm currently envisioning drilling "marking" holes from the front to trace a template on the reverse and then Dremel it out, but surely there must be an easier way.

2.) As I didn't wish to sacrifice my "working" (read: non-destroyed) grill on this experiment, I ordered a replacement on which to complete the work. It came in two pieces, as expected; the outer surround and the insert - to be connected by melting points. Thing is...I have no soldering gun/iron...any suggestions on alternate ways to attach the two pieces? The redneck in me says blow torch and knife, but I don't want to trash my work if I can avoid it! Any Plastic Epoxy will work fine... See pic Below...

Any help you can offer would be gratefully accepted! TIA

This is the tool (and blade) I use for the triangles... Remember to always cut from the front side - trust me, you have less of a chance to eff it up that way...

Tip: take a 3/16 Drill bit and drill holes in the corners first - this makes it much easier to just "connect the dots" with the Dremmel.

It is also possible to cut them out with this:
(but much harder to control)

Tip: Do NOT run the Dremmel faster than 15K RPM's - you will do more melting than cutting.

If you do not have a soldering iron to connect the two piece aftermarket surround as illustrated in this thread.
This is a suitable alternative:

Hope that helps!
~ Craig
Old 03-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
White and Nerdy
Thanks, dude. I can't see the picture of the first tool you posted as I get a blue question mark...could you check the link or just tell me the name of it?

Also...do you happen to know the melting point of the plastic? How hot of an iron do I need...wattage etc? I can borrow one from a buddy. Thanks again for your input!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTupper View Post
Thanks, dude. I can't see the picture of the first tool you posted as I get a blue question mark...could you check the link or just tell me the name of it?

Also...do you happen to know the melting point of the plastic? How hot of an iron do I need...wattage etc? I can borrow one from a buddy. Thanks again for your input!
It is a Dremmel Mullti-Max tool.

IIR melting point of the ABS is 400*

I can tell you the boiling point of ABS is 900* (don't ask)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
White and Nerdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
I can tell you the boiling point of ABS is 900* (don't ask)
Isn't the rule that when someone says, "don't ask," one always asks?