Tacoma Satoshi Grills

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > HomerTaco

Notices

HomerTaco Grill Install

Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dave
canyonchaser's Tacoma Gallery
HomerTaco Grill Install

I hadn't seen one of these so, as my new grill arrived, I thought I'd document the process for all to enjoy.

Look! The new grill! It's very brown and square;

Out of the box, this is a thin lip M4

Here's my truck before I started

As soon as you open the hood you'll notice these two clips on either ends of the grill.

Simply use a small flat-head screwdriver and slide it under the smaller of the two heads - It should pop right open. If it's stubborn you may need to slightly twist.

Open - Now simply, and carefully pull the entire plastic faster directly up and out.

Next, undo the two 10mm bolts. Careful, they are just threaded into plastic. When it's time to put thing back together be VERY careful not to over-tighten these.

At this point, the grill will be feel like it wants to come out, but there are two more fasteners - down on the actual headlight body.

Deliberate but careful force will release them. They hook into the headlight. My right one came out immediately, the left one took some negotiation.

The old grill will lift up and out of the truck - leaving you with this view. You'll notice the bare aluminum sides to the radiator/cooler as well as those unsightly horns.

Most people will want to relocate the horns. This too is quite simple. Start by removing the plastic radiator cover. It uses the exact same clips used by the grill.

Removed:

Unplug and remove the two horns using a 12mm socket and set them aside. The cable is routed underneath the radiator sub-frame. The cable's held in place with these black clips.

Simply squeeze them and they will release;

You'll also need to free this little sensor.

Works exactly the same way as the other clips;

The horn wiring should now free for you to relocate it

I went around through one of the small ports near the bottom of the left headlight. This gives you lots of extra cable to work with.

You can almost see the port I used.

I ran the cable along the lower brace of the radiator sub-frame. there is a suitable existing hole for the sensor clip to snap back into right next to the right radiator lower mount (the black thingie in the corner of the photo).

To reattach the horns, you'll need some nice giant fender washers and some lock-nuts. I just happened to have these on hand.

I chose the two center most oval holes and placed the horn towards the center. You can see my fender washer on the back side of the radiator sub-frame.

This places the horns immediately behind the lower grill. (only one horn fit here).

Another image of the new horn placement. I used a couple of long zip-ties to fasten the horn wires to the lower radiator sub-frame.

Now time to paint. I cleaned up the aluminum bits and sprayed them with some satin black heat paint. Not overly concerned as it's mostly to obscure stuff. It doesn't need to look perfect.

You insert the new grill from the top down and gently press the clips into the headlight (the HomerTashi grill comes with new clips - no need to remove them from your old grill).

All done.

Because nobody seems to mention. I chose the thin lip, M4.

From the right now...

The end result

Good luck!
dp
Old 04-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
canoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bill
canoeski's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job there Dave!!
I loved the pics and thorough explanation.

Just one question:
What is that "little sensor thing"?
Is it a thermometer, and will changing the location affect the readings?
Or if it were some sort of position sensor or part of the air bag system, would relocating it or changing it's orientation affect it's function?

~bill
Old 04-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
AbunaiXR is on a distinguished road
AbunaiXR's Tacoma Gallery
that looks tight!!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
TOYWERX Grill Sergeant
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeski View Post
Nice job there Dave!!
I loved the pics and thorough explanation.

Just one question:
What is that "little sensor thing"?
Is it a thermometer, and will changing the location affect the readings?
Or if it were some sort of position sensor or part of the air bag system, would relocating it or changing it's orientation affect it's function?

~bill
It is the temp sensor for the overhead outside temp gauge I've been told.
I personally left mine there bu I did relo the horns.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write uP + 1 for you
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Tbaytaco is on a distinguished road
EMS: Paramedic
Name: Nolan
Tbaytaco's Tacoma Gallery
quick question. When painting the rad do you need to clean it well or just wash and spray away?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
canoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bill
canoeski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
It is the temp sensor for the overhead outside temp gauge I've been told.
I personally left mine there bu I did relo the horns.
Thanks Homer.

How are the grills for the 2012's coming?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:15 AM   #9
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet write up
Old 04-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #10
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbaytaco View Post
quick question. When painting the rad do you need to clean it well or just wash and spray away?
clean any dirt off it, but don't have to go crazy...

or

just spray away...
Old 04-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbaytaco View Post
Yeah, I just did a quick wipe with a degreaser to get most of the shmutz off. It's not uber critical. If it starts to look shabby, you can just pull the grill and respray.

dp
Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #12
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Now you should show how you remove that sexy grille, repackage it, and send it to me
Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
I just can't wait till I get mine. I'm 24 on the list then I'll def be referring to this to see where to relocate the horn
Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
Aight
sernaj64 is on a distinguished road
Name: Juan
sernaj64's Tacoma Gallery
ditto^^^^
Old 05-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
eppy is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
eppy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys,

Was wondering how you place an order with Homer. I have a silver Taco myself and would like to order this same grill. Just looks Tits & Tacos!!!! Also, what's the cost????

Thnx,
Eppy
Old 05-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! Great write up!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
darktaco is on a distinguished road

darktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good !
Great step by step.
I like the thin lip over the satoshi . Do you plan to leave it neckid or put/paint any type of toyota emblem on ?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #18
Duae Rotarum per Sempre

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktaco View Post
Looks good !
Great step by step.
I like the thin lip over the satoshi . Do you plan to leave it neckid or put/paint any type of toyota emblem on ?
Thank you!

I think I really want to put an old FJ40 toyota badge on it.

But it's summer, so I haven't gotten around to it yet.

dp
Old 06-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #19
Mr. LaBeef is on a distinguished road

Mr. LaBeef's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. I'm getting mine soon and Ive seen a lot of people relocate their horns there. In getting the lower grill as well and didn't want to put them there. I have tried searching but couldn't find a different spot that isn't behind the grills.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
TOYWERX Grill Sergeant
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. LaBeef View Post
Looks good. I'm getting mine soon and Ive seen a lot of people relocate their horns there. In getting the lower grill as well and didn't want to put them there. I have tried searching but couldn't find a different spot that isn't behind the grills.
Mine are now back on the drivers side behind the fuse box... There are two threaded holes ready to go back there...