Tacoma Satoshi Grills

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > HomerTaco

Notices

BECAUSE FENDER FLARE!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hardware Options

I'm thinking that since I'll be retaining the "pocket" fastener location that maybe a plastic screw type fastener would be a better option?
Something that has the same head & thread size as the "show-bolts" but long enough to pass through the metal of the fender and attach...

These flares WILL stick out further than stock ones... Perhaps it would behoove me to allow for a certain amount of "breakaway" factor?

It's obvious from my tree incident the flare is much more resilient to damage than the sheet metal fender...

Thoughts anyone?
Old 07-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #24
Deathcure is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Deathcure's Tacoma Gallery
subed could be a future mod once i get my lift, but still waiting on the 2012 grill
Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #25
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Go Homer, go.... I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #26
10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
Name: Dillon
10.21's Tacoma Gallery
Kind of disappointed you didn't mention me with the "eliminating them all-together" Either way, aside from the holes left behind, I just threw my fender flares in the trash and let them be. Shitty thing is (and without mud flaps) if I travel through a gravel driveway at 2 MPH...I have shit all over my truck...Considering I enjoy the damaged, beat-up, POS looking truck look, I'm all about it. I just want to fill the holes in.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #27
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
gap weld, grind smooth, sand smooth, small amount of bondo? rhino line?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #29
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #32
Fish
ABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ABregenzer's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed. Because I want
Old 07-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #33
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Took some time & removed all of the stock flares and inner fender lining on the drivers side.

Two things of note on that:
First - a TON of yuck was jammed in the "dogleg" of the fender...
Second - Somewhere in Japan there is a mechanical engineer laughing at me because he designed those maniacal fender clips.
I ended up just cutting most of them - fuck it.

I had done this prior with the passenger snorkel install so I at least knew what I was getting into.

Here are pics of the process:

I took the yet-unaltered flare and test fit it to the fender in order to get an idea of where I'll need to be drilling...

They do not have an identical coverage to the stock ones...

I took a straight pic and as gently as I could marked where the flare holes will line up on the fender:

They are close but it really won't matter in the end because the flare will cover any screw up...

The rear was pretty much the point of no return...

Due to the fact I have already chopped 8" off of the bedside for the HC CBI rear hybrid the flares will have to be cut to match.

This pretty much locks me in to building these specifically for myself...

With that thought firmly in my head I proceeded to measure & cut the back of the rear flare and fit it in place:

I did the same thing as the front and marked where the pocket holes line up:

They are much further off in the back but once again - that won't matter...

Once concern is the bedside support to the front of the rear tire. I did not snap a pic of it but you can kind-of see it in the one above. It seems clear that if I remove 2" from the fender that it will no longer be able to attach. I'll have to work out a way to move it further forward - I can't see eliminating it completely without having a floppy bedside as a result!

I plan to pull apart the passenger side tomorrow time permitting.

That's all for now!

~ Craig
Old 07-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #34
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
WELL THAT ANSWERS MY OWN QUESTION.....
WANA DO A GROUP BUY ON FENDER CLIPS N SUCH
Old 07-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #35
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I bent mine, shoved it forward, drilled a new hole and bolted it. For the top brace I flattened it out and just moved the brace to the second set of holes on the bed side and on the fender side I think I drilled holes. Then I used a piece of flat strap and riveted it to the bed side and the fender right above my HC bumper.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #36
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
looking good so far..but meh, who needs flares anyways...they're gonna eventualy get tagged again and again and again....
Old 07-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #37
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #38
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
looking good so far..but meh, who needs flares anyways...they're gonna eventualy get tagged again and again and again....
THIS IS WHAT IM THINKING/....
I MIGHT DO WHAT CHRIS DID....
Old 07-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #39
TOYWERX Grill Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
WELL THAT ANSWERS MY OWN QUESTION.....
WANA DO A GROUP BUY ON FENDER CLIPS N SUCH
I won't be using the stock fasteners again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I bent mine, shoved it forward, drilled a new hole and bolted it. For the top brace I flattened it out and just moved the brace to the second set of holes on the bed side and on the fender side I think I drilled holes. Then I used a piece of flat strap and riveted it to the bed side and the fender right above my HC bumper.
I figured as much Max. I did not see it as a big obstacle, just want to be sure & note it as part of the process.
I have a set of flat strap that came with my CBI I'll be using to support the back part similar to your description.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #40
TOYWERX Grill Sargent

I quickly sectioned the drivers side front... I'm just really trying to work out in my head how I want them to look. The fronts will be more complicated than the rear because I'm trying to integrate the flare with the Elite bumper. Therefore it will be "fatter" in the front an the section will cut away on an angle.

Here's the 2" strip from the flare:

~ Craig