Tacoma Satoshi Grills

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > HomerTaco

Notices

BECAUSE FENDER FLARE!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
BECAUSE FENDER FLARE!

Here's why:

I had been toying around with the idea of developing a new fender flare for my second gen.

There are limited options for what is available as an alterative to the stock flares - Basically Bushwhacker "pocket" style flares and a Canadian outfit known as "Jungle Flare"

I have misgivings with both from research and also having the opportunity to see & feel both products first hand.

For the Bushwhacker:
My main complaint is the stupid exposed bolts! For shits sake they are only on there for looks! They serve NO OTHER FUNCTION! Now - I don't think the look bad... But they should still DO something.
This flare retains the stock inner fender mounting holes which is not compatible to my plans...
However - they are ABS thermoplastic construction, which is essentially the same as our stock flares - that is an advantage I'll explain later.

For the Jungle Flare:
The issue here is with fitment. They are a fiberglass flare and the finish I saw was nice but the fit was not 100%. Being fiberglass, modification of these to suit my plans was not an option.

For many Members who have upgraded to a larger-than-stock tire (bigger than 265/75 r16 or equivalent) the issue of rubbing and clearance comes into play.

Some have chosen to modify the stock flares to compensate for needed space (n0rth, maxmillion2345) some have chosen to eliminate them altogether (Mr.Grimm).

I have nothing but the utmost respect for these members builds and it was through reading them that I started to formulate a plan for a different solution.

I recently purchased a set of Bushwhacker flares from another member.

Now the fun begins.....

On a recent trip to RC I had a rogue tree attack me for no reason...

Now... instead of looking at this as a problem, I chose to see it as an opportunity!

Now I have a valid excuse to Mrs.Taco for the purchase new fender flares!

My current suspension setup is as follows:
Front: 5100's set at 2.25 with stock coils
Rear: 5100's and a non-tsb leaf pack w/ Wheelers 3leaf Progressive AAL

Nothing to crazy - just a couple inches up from stock.

I want to go to 285's

I obviously have no problem cutting up the truck....

End Result of Thought Process:

Fabricate a custom fender flare that mounts from the outside and allows for removal of approx. 2" of sheet metal off of the stock fender.

Disclamer: ***This is simply an experiment at this point still...***

So far, here is where I'm at:

Front passenger flare with silly 2012 bumper piece removed:

Here are all the silly "show-bolts" from both front & rear of one side...

Side by side comparison of the stock passenger rear flare (left) vs. the Bushwhacker

My preliminary marking on the back of the flare for what would be removed:

My goal is to retain the extended coverage of the flare over the tires but add clearance in the fender well itself.

I intend to seek out alternate hardware to replace the "show-bolts" and use them to fasten the flare from the outside. This would eliminate the need to fasten the flare from the inner fender which I want to modify anyway.

I've become rather adept at plastic fabrication. I've built a couple of grills you see...

This is a work in progress and I've got some time off due to the recovery for surgery so I intend to make good use of it. (besides building grills -I'm still doing that!)

I'd welcome any feedback, tips, or questions.

As with some of my other threads here on TW - I'm here to learn things too.

More to come....

Thank you,
~ Craig
Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
About time Craig
Old 07-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for fine craftsmanship.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I cut mine roughly 2" and I rub the front flares EVER so SLIGHTLY. I'd love to see 2 1/4 or 2 1/2". The other Max, TheDuck911, did his 3" if you haven't seen them, they're in my thread somewhere, they look good.

Just saying...

I'm very excited to see the outcome of this. I've often wondered would would happen if I got in a wreck and destroyed my 6-700 dollar custom flares!

Very cool!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I cut mine roughly 2" and I rub the front flares EVER so SLIGHTLY. I'd love to see 2 1/4 or 2 1/2". The other Max, TheDuck911, did his 3" if you haven't seen them, they're in my thread somewhere, they look good.

Just saying...

I'm very excited to see the outcome of this. I've often thought would would happen if I got in a wreck and destroyed my 6-700 dollar custom flares!

Very cool!
I knew there were a few others.... I could not remember.

All of the efforts of you guys is inspiration to me.

I simply want a better way to install a flare on my truck then with those stupid effing plastic cheap ass clips!

I know you know where I'm coming from.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Don't you have some grilles you should be working on?

Seriously... I'm with you. I never "got" the idea of "pocket flares". I remember when they started showing up, and I always thought they looked like cheap bolt-on aftermarket parts and thought they'd look better glassed in.

Looking forward to seeing your finished fenders!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
3" seems to be the perfect amount from what I've seen (when running a 35" tire) if you plan on running a flare. 2" will work if you are only planning on cutting up the fender and not running a flare.

Definitely interested to see how this turns out, after seeing your skills with Grille making, have no doubt this will have the same quality
Old 07-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
I knew there were a few others.... I could not remember.

All of the efforts of you guys is inspiration to me.

I simply want a better way to install a flare on my truck then with those stupid effing plastic cheap ass clips!

I know you know where I'm coming from.
I certainly do know, I hate those damn clips.

Yeah, Relentless, All.On.Black, theduck911, me, n0rth, donnoD (he just cut his). I can't think of anyone else. Anyway! Looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
3" seems to be the perfect amount from what I've seen (when running a 35" tire) if you plan on running a flare. 2" will work if you are only planning on cutting up the fender and not running a flare.

Definitely interested to see how this turns out, after seeing your skills with Grille making, have no doubt this will have the same quality

I'm running 2"
Old 07-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
TOYWERX Grill Sargent

Quote:

As of now I intend to remove 2" from the fender flare and fender itself and then install them.

I currently have 265/75 r16 but will bump up to a 285/75 r16

At least that's my preliminary plan...

Once I drank the kool-aid and took a dremmel to my truck for that snorkel install, any other cutting just does not seem like a big deal...

I may be just me - but I don't think so...
Old 07-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

from the guy who purchased the first piece of mesh ever from me - then bought a whole grill a few months later.....

What's the rush Pete?
Hahaha

I still have that mesh
Old 07-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
INSTAGRAM: sytfu510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
hmm tag'd
Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
As of now I intend to remove 2" from the fender flare and fender itself and then install them.

I currently have 265/75 r16 but will bump up to a 285/75 r16

At least that's my preliminary plan...

Once I drank the kool-aid and took a dremmel to my truck for that snorkel install, any other cutting just does not seem like a big deal...

I may be just me - but I don't think so...
For 285/75 you should be fine for any clearance!

Yeah, I still haven't installed my snorkel wasn't sure about drilling my fenders...a few months later I just took a grinder to my whole truck and did a bunch of cutting
Old 07-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
Max's Canadian Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post

I'm running 2"
You don't say
Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #18
TOYWERX Grill Sargent

Quote:
For 285/75 you should be fine for any clearance!

Yeah, I still haven't installed my snorkel wasn't sure about drilling my fenders...a few months later I just took a grinder to my whole truck and did a bunch of cutting
I may go the 315 route if I can snag a DD.

Then I'll do a 1"BL as well as suspension...

work in progress...
Old 07-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Hahaha

I still have that mesh
It's camoflaging the 2-year-old bumper in the corner of his garage...
Old 07-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
Max's Canadian Twin

Quote:
work in progress...
Aren't they all