Tacoma Satoshi Grills

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > HomerTaco

Notices

Ask the Grill guy!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
How do I get my grill up to temp faster

Joking, do you have the hook up on getting them painted?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd.

Since a certain someone, who shall not be named, isn't making 2012 satoshi's I'll be starting mine soon and will def have some questions!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Why you no make 98-00 satoshi????

just kidding!!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Grills for days...
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
How do I get my grill up to temp faster

Joking, do you have the hook up on getting them painted?
I have mine done by a Pro Body shop but I've seen some pretty good DIY paint jobs.
I don't have the patience for it but for anyone who is interested this website has everything you need to do a color match paint job:

www.paintscratch.com

Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Painting.

Best paint/primer brand?
How many coats?

Tips to help make the paint last longer under various conditions/temperature.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Grills for days...
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAN808 View Post
Why you no make 98-00 satoshi????

just kidding!!
Honestly I had a very difficult time with the properties of the thermoplastic used on that year grill. It did not agree with my process and was very difficult to form.
I did one for MTgirl and that was it.
I simply don't have the time to really take on more work either.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
Honestly I had a very difficult time with the properties of the thermoplastic used on that year grill. It did not agree with my process and was very difficult to form.
I did one for MTgirl and that was it.
I simply don't have the time to really take on more work either.
Yea I've asked you this before but just making trouble...

Anywho, I'm planning on getting some mesh from you sometime before this summer. Might try to tackle this project (finally). Although I don't think I like the deep dish look. How does one go about make it more of a shallower mount, but not necessarily "flush"? Do you just cut the inside of the grille in closer to the front so the mesh rests on it closer?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Grills for days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
Painting.

Best paint/primer brand?
How many coats?

Tips to help make the paint last longer under various conditions/temperature.

Thanks!
If you are referring to how I do the inner surrounds the key is prep.
Even if it is still a factory smooth surface I sand with 220 grit and prime with Rustoleum Filler Primer. cleaning with an air gun then wiping down with a tack cloth is a must! Three coats of flat black & it's all set to assemble.

As far as temp - I heat up my shop nowadays just to be able to paint!
As far as durability to the end user in extreme temps - I have had no complaints.
I've shipped grills to all kinds of climates.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Grills for days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAN808 View Post
Yea I've asked you this before but just making trouble...

Anywho, I'm planning on getting some mesh from you sometime before this summer. Might try to tackle this project (finally). Although I don't think I like the deep dish look. How does one go about make it more of a shallower mount, but not necessarily "flush"? Do you just cut the inside of the grille in closer to the front so the mesh rests on it closer?
You got it.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You got it.
Awesome! Thanks, !!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
My grill is cold. Paint doesn't react to the cold in my experience. And we're talking well below zero temps a lot of the time.

Speaking of that Craig I should have pics of it all very soon. It's at the paint shop finally
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you are referring to how I do the inner surrounds the key is prep.
Even if it is still a factory smooth surface I sand with 220 grit and prime with Rustoleum Filler Primer. cleaning with an air gun then wiping down with a tack cloth is a must! Three coats of flat black & it's all set to assemble.

As far as temp - I heat up my shop nowadays just to be able to paint!
As far as durability to the end user in extreme temps - I have had no complaints.
I've shipped grills to all kinds of climates.
Thanks. My first paint job hasnt lasted as long i thought. The white paint is starting to stain from all the bugs and weather that its been exposed to. And no matter how much i wash it, its still stained an off white colour.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
Grills for days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
My grill is cold. Paint doesn't react to the cold in my experience. And we're talking well below zero temps a lot of the time.

Speaking of that Craig I should have pics of it all very soon. It's at the paint shop finally
I look forward to seeing it Ben!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
Grills for days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
Thanks. My first paint job hasnt lasted as long i thought. The white paint is starting to stain from all the bugs and weather that its been exposed to. And no matter how much i wash it, its still stained an off white colour.
For that I'd say this:
If you decide to redo it go double on a good clear coat. That's the way to go.
The shop that does mine puts a killer clear on them that is super easy to shine.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
ToyoTaco12 is on a distinguished road
Army: 1-17th INF 5 BDE 2nd ID
ToyoTaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am currently working on a mesh-only insert option for the 2012.

I have not forgotten you guys.

Once you have those done please let me know. I'm definitely interested!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Question about the 05-11 thin lips. There is the mounting point thing on the bottom of the grill in the center, do you have to cut it? Thinking about going from full depth to thin lip but i have a grillcraft insert, wondering if you leave the mounting point and notch the mesh around it.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #19
Grills for days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Question about the 05-11 thin lips. There is the mounting point thing on the bottom of the grill in the center, do you have to cut it? Thinking about going from full depth to thin lip but i have a grillcraft insert, wondering if you leave the mounting point and notch the mesh around it.
If your referring to that stupid little guide pin in the center bottom of the grill go ahead & lop the damn thing off - it's useless other than centering the grill when you put it on the truck.
I'm leaning towards removing them from every grill I produce.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
How do I get burned on chicken, off my grill?