1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The 2012 Satoshi

Discussion in 'HomerTaco' started by HomerTaco, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Sep 30, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I had a thread on this topic a while ago... Figured its time to restart.:eek:

This is for information and updates to my progress with the 2012 style grill. :yay:

Please note: I do NOT take orders for this style grill!

When the front end was redesigned for the 2012 Model year the grill change was quite dramatic. This redesign made my standard process of simply filling in gaps useless.:(

I've taken a few different approaches to these (thin-lip & flushmount) but I think the one most folks are interested in is the actual traditional "satoshi".

In fabricating this it was necessary to completely rebuild the sides of the grill next to the headlights. The new design protrudes outward as opposed to the 05-11...

Bottom line: I can make these grills but they simply take too much time to produce on a large scale. I will make more as time allows and will post links to them in the b/s/t section.

I took this one pictured below out of storage a few weeks ago. The surround was complete but needed final tweaking, also the mesh insert I had initially built was not to my liking.

This prototype is now 100% complete and templates have been made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Super White (040) w/ M1 powder coated mesh:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do not own a 2012 so obviously this grill will be for sale at some point.

It will be via eBay auction so please do not PM me to purchase it.

I'll post pictures of the other prototypes when they are presentable - The thin-lip still needs quite a bit of tinkering to be acceptable.

Instead of regularly offering full 2012 style grills I'm developing a DIY mesh kit option. This will be first - cost effective, and second - more practical to produce in larger numbers.:thumbsup:

Here is my progress with the kit:

[​IMG]

What it creates is a "thin-lip" satoshi for the 2012. the goal being to supply the finished mesh for the end user to be able to modify their existing grill to accept the mesh.

Here is a reverse shot with illustrates the installation using most of the existing hardware that comes with the grill and the stock mounting points as well.

[​IMG]

I see this being available in M1 and M4 - perhaps M0 but I still need to try that one.

More to come! :D

I'll replicate this prototype again but do not anticipate making a lot of them.

I appreciate everyone's interest and support. This grill thing has taken on a life of it's own and I never thought 3 years ago when I made my first grill that this would be what it is today. :eek:

Thank you,
    ~ Craig

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Oct 1, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Prepare for shit storm... :D

3. Oct 1, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    Looks great!

4. Oct 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    Patiently waiting. Thanks for working to make this happen, Craig! You ROCK!

5. Oct 1, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Looks great Craig. You going to update this thread when you make, oh idk, a super white one? :spy:

6. Oct 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    This one could be Super White (040)

The only nice thing about the 2012 style is the fact that the outer surround is easily removed - unlike the previous years where the two parts are welded together. :rolleyes:

I'll obviously paint this one to match the end purchasers truck if it is not SSM.:cool:

7. Oct 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    PuffDr4gon

PuffDr4gon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4.0
    Got mods?
    Awesome work & thanks for taking time out of your life to help out! I've been waiting for you to come up with something for the '12+!

Any plans for a "raptor" style do it yourself kit for the '12?

8. Oct 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Not at this time.
    Don't quite follow you.

9. Oct 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    What color do most guys paint these grilles / mesh?

10. Oct 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Most have the outer surrounds color matched and the mesh powder coated black with the inner surround flat black as well.:D

11. Oct 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    Thank You. This would look super on my Sage Mica 2012 Taco. The factory setup (chromed plastic with confusing array of cheap looking black plastic center) is, in my opinion, the only distasteful part of the truck. I actually can forgive the chrome part, but the center has to go. I would be interested in the mesh part or a "kit" if you offer this.

12. Oct 4, 2013 at 2:09 AM
    boggle

boggle Active Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Would definitely be interested in purchasing a kit form, if you will not be producing completed (Super White) to sell.

13. Oct 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    01Tacoma

01Tacoma Member

Member:
    Rowlett Tx
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ToyTec 3" lift with bilstein 5100.
    damn cant wait for this! keep all of us posted! thanks.

14. Oct 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
  15. Oct 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    doubletaco

doubletaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Magnolia
    Vehicle:
    16 Quicksand TRD O/R 4x4
    TRD FJ Wheels, LED Fog lights
    This will be great been waiting for this since I bought my truck.

16. Oct 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    bclodfelter

bclodfelter Active Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2013 Grey TRD OffRoad 3" Lift 33" Tires
    Bilstein 5100s all around ToyTec Top out Spacers ToyTec Diff Drop Light Racing Upper Control Arms Small Rear Leaf 285/75/17 DuraTracs Stubby TRD Antenna DIY Black badges DIY Black bumper DIY Pink Toyota Logo OSRAM Night Breaker Plus Headlights Nokya Yellow Fog Lights
    Like a great white watches a surfer in the waves....I will be watching this for when a Write-Up arrives or any kit that will make this an easier project on my new 13'

17. Oct 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    locovet

locovet Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    trd off-road
    Dude you are the man when it comes to grills! I'm wanting to do a satoshi for my '13. I like the flat look kinda like knine did but just the reg satoshi not the raptor. Would like to hear your thoughts and ideas... thanks...

18. Oct 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    Ulysiss

Ulysiss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ulysiss
    La Puente, SGV
    Vehicle:
    2013 Long Bed, PreRunner, TRD Sport
    GREAT JOB CRAIG :bowdown:

19. Oct 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Thank you. :eek:

20. Oct 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Very nice looking grill! You've put quite a bit of work into that. The newer grills are definitely not as 'fabricating friendly' as the older ones.

To Top