Tacoma Satoshi Grills

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > HomerTaco

Notices

The 2012 Satoshi

Old 09-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
TOYWERX
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The 2012 Satoshi

I had a thread on this topic a while ago... Figured its time to restart.

This is for information and updates to my progress with the 2012 style grill.

Please note: I do NOT take orders for this style grill!

When the front end was redesigned for the 2012 Model year the grill change was quite dramatic. This redesign made my standard process of simply filling in gaps useless.

I've taken a few different approaches to these (thin-lip & flushmount) but I think the one most folks are interested in is the actual traditional "satoshi".

In fabricating this it was necessary to completely rebuild the sides of the grill next to the headlights. The new design protrudes outward as opposed to the 05-11...

Bottom line: I can make these grills but they simply take too much time to produce on a large scale. I will make more as time allows and will post links to them in the b/s/t section.

I took this one pictured below out of storage a few weeks ago. The surround was complete but needed final tweaking, also the mesh insert I had initially built was not to my liking.

This prototype is now 100% complete and templates have been made.

In Super White (040) w/ M1 powder coated mesh:

I do not own a 2012 so obviously this grill will be for sale at some point.

It will be via eBay auction so please do not PM me to purchase it.

I'll post pictures of the other prototypes when they are presentable - The thin-lip still needs quite a bit of tinkering to be acceptable.

Instead of regularly offering full 2012 style grills I'm developing a DIY mesh kit option. This will be first - cost effective, and second - more practical to produce in larger numbers.

Here is my progress with the kit:

What it creates is a "thin-lip" satoshi for the 2012. the goal being to supply the finished mesh for the end user to be able to modify their existing grill to accept the mesh.

Here is a reverse shot with illustrates the installation using most of the existing hardware that comes with the grill and the stock mounting points as well.

I see this being available in M1 and M4 - perhaps M0 but I still need to try that one.

More to come!

I'll replicate this prototype again but do not anticipate making a lot of them.

I appreciate everyone's interest and support. This grill thing has taken on a life of it's own and I never thought 3 years ago when I made my first grill that this would be what it is today.

Thank you,
~ Craig
Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!
Old 10-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Patiently waiting. Thanks for working to make this happen, Craig! You ROCK!
Old 10-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great Craig. You going to update this thread when you make, oh idk, a super white one?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
TOYWERX
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Looks great Craig. You going to update this thread when you make, oh idk, a super white one?
This one could be Super White (040)

The only nice thing about the 2012 style is the fact that the outer surround is easily removed - unlike the previous years where the two parts are welded together.

I'll obviously paint this one to match the end purchasers truck if it is not SSM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
PuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
PuffDr4gon's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome work & thanks for taking time out of your life to help out! I've been waiting for you to come up with something for the '12+!

Quote:
Instead of offering full grills for sale in the 2012 style I'm shooting to develop a DIY mesh kit option. This would be first - cost effective, and second - more practical to produce in larger numbers.
Any plans for a "raptor" style do it yourself kit for the '12?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
TOYWERX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffDr4gon View Post
Any plans for a "raptor" style do it yourself kit for the '12?
Not at this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
What is the typical Satoshi grille (2012 or previous) color scheme? I have seen some done with the solid part in black and more with this part painted body color (which I prefer). And the perforated "mesh" in black, or do some paint the mesh body color as well?

I have a 2012 and would build my own or based on your mesh part if you sell them eventually. I feel that if done well it would really help the looks of my truck. The stock grille is just too busy IMHO.
Don't quite follow you.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
What color do most guys paint these grilles / mesh?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Thank You. This would look super on my Sage Mica 2012 Taco. The factory setup (chromed plastic with confusing array of cheap looking black plastic center) is, in my opinion, the only distasteful part of the truck. I actually can forgive the chrome part, but the center has to go. I would be interested in the mesh part or a "kit" if you offer this.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
boggle is on a distinguished road

boggle's Tacoma Gallery
Would definitely be interested in purchasing a kit form, if you will not be producing completed (Super White) to sell.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
01Tacoma is on a distinguished road

01Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
damn cant wait for this! keep all of us posted! thanks.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
doubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nice

doubletaco's Tacoma Gallery
This will be great been waiting for this since I bought my truck.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
bclodfelter is on a distinguished road
Marines: Sgt 2nd Bat 3rd Mar - Machine Gunner
bclodfelter's Tacoma Gallery
Like a great white watches a surfer in the waves....I will be watching this for when a Write-Up arrives or any kit that will make this an easier project on my new 13'
Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
locovet is on a distinguished road
Army:
locovet's Tacoma Gallery
Dude you are the man when it comes to grills! I'm wanting to do a satoshi for my '13. I like the flat look kinda like knine did but just the reg satoshi not the raptor. Would like to hear your thoughts and ideas... thanks...
Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
Ulysiss will become famous soon enough
Firefighter:
Name: Ulysiss
Ulysiss's Tacoma Gallery
GREAT JOB CRAIG
Old 10-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #20
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice looking grill! You've put quite a bit of work into that. The newer grills are definitely not as 'fabricating friendly' as the older ones.