1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012-2015 Mesh Insert Install Instructions

Discussion in 'HomerTaco' started by HomerTaco, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Jun 22, 2014 at 9:45 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    In order to successfully install my mesh kit for the 2012-2015 Tacoma you'll need to follow the instructions posted below.
    The mesh kit thread is here:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/homertaco/332241-2012-2015-ghost-raptor-mesh-kit.html

Here is the results of the first mesh kit (Thanks V5ioV!):

[​IMG]

When we started I noticed that the hood latch and horns were in the way. This truck is an OR and has the overhead console - the horn and sensor wires are loomed together from just in front of the battery.

[​IMG]

I separated the wires out & relocated the horns here:

[​IMG]

I also took a bit off the latch with an angle grinder - not sure if it would hit or not but with the new kit installed you'll need to reach between the hood & grill to release the latch now.

[​IMG]

The first step is to separate your outer surround from the inner surround which will be modified. there are 12 torx screws and several clips that need to be released. Here you see me using a FLAT HEAD screwdriver (lol OZ) to release the clips.

[​IMG]

A gentle twist while prying the two pieces will do the trick

[​IMG]

Next comes the point of no return: cutting out the center of the stock inner surround. I take a set of snips and cut the thin supports on the top & bottom like this:

[​IMG]

In order to make the cutting of the sides a bit easier to maneuver around I then cut the center bar completely out:

[​IMG]

Again, to make it easier to maneuver I cut the leftover tabs on the top and bottom down flush:

[​IMG]

Below you can see where we'll be cutting the sides. I've marked the line with a sharpie:

[​IMG]

My tool of choice is the Dremmel Multi Max tool but it can also be done with a rotary tool. The important part to note with this step is to cut flat with the surface of the surround - this gives us the depth of the "lip" on the sides:

[​IMG]

Once finished it will look like this:

[​IMG]

My next move is to De-burr and shape the outside corner. I use a Dremmel rotary tool with a round barrel cutting tip - you could also use a sanding wheel

[​IMG]

Sanded down with 80 grit:

[​IMG]

Sanded with 120 grit:

[​IMG]

Next I've got the grill sitting upside down and I've taken a sharpie and marked a straight line 1/4" from the front of the grill:

[​IMG]

After cutting along the line there will still be 4 webbing sections like this to cut out flush:
    [​IMG]

Now for the top two corners the transition is a bit rough even after we've cut out the side pieces:

[​IMG]

I've marked here where I'll be trimming the transition to make the lip more even:

[​IMG]

Here's the cut sanded & smoothed:

[​IMG]

The bottom is much like the top - simply go from the corner cut out all the way across with a sharpie again (also about 1/4"):

[​IMG]

The end result:

[​IMG]
    (The grill in the first pic of this write up was finished to this level - an additional finishing step would be to hit this inner surround with a shot of spray paint as well)

Here is the new mesh - this will come with 4 stainless steel #8 1/2 Phillips screws.
    [​IMG]

You'll now snap your outer surround back in place and trim off all the "guide" tabs on the back - these are the flat tabs that do NOT snap into the inner surround. Included with this are the two larger tabs used for the install clips on the bottom - we won't be using them:

[​IMG]

Using a 1/8" drill bit fasten with two screws like so:

[​IMG]

For each side (you won't need to screw all the way in):

[​IMG]

Now the remaining stock fasteners go back in:

[​IMG]

And that's it! :D

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    HillJackJDS, scottalot and BigHoss89 like this.
  2. Jun 23, 2014 at 2:45 PM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 AR10 is 5 ARs better

Member:
    Triangle of 26726, 21532, 21502
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    Please refer to build (click signature picture)
    Awesome! Sub'd :cool:

3. Jun 23, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    Grakyn

Grakyn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift, Leer truck cap, Kenwood D710a ham radio, OTRATTW switches
    I imagine it'll be easier to understand once the words are added. I hope.....

4. Jun 23, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    Bsheriff11

Bsheriff11 Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Casual.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Virginia livin', South Carolina raised
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited T4R
    Click My Sig Homie
    easy peazy lemon squeezy!

5. Jun 23, 2014 at 3:23 PM
    fenderpicks

fenderpicks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Take my money already!!

6. Jun 23, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I think so. I've got quite a few pics to add as well.

7. Jun 23, 2014 at 4:51 PM
    saltyjd

saltyjd Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4 Sport
    Kenwood DX790 Weathertech visors and mats Dark tint Side Step Rails
    Mine is still stock. I am a little apprehensive of the cutting. Please be gentle, I am a virgin at this....

GarageGirl18 likes this.
  8. Jun 23, 2014 at 4:53 PM
    KnoxTac0713

KnoxTac0713 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Bilstein 6112, rear 2.0 Icon VS shocks, TRD Black SEMA wheels, 255/80/17 Cooper ST Maxx, SOS Rear bumper, SOS bolt on sliders,TRD skid plate, derped badges, 15% tint, color matched oem grille, lamin-x amber fog covers, TRD cat-back exhaust, Tacoma bed mat, Tonno-pro trifold, Depo black tail lights, front tow hook w/ D shackle, Wheeler's Superbumps rear, Wheeler's 1 inch block rear, Custom Car Grills mesh grill insert, light bar in lower valence
  9. Jun 23, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    Ulysiss

Ulysiss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ulysiss
    La Puente, SGV
    Vehicle:
    2013 Long Bed, PreRunner, TRD Sport
    I understand already no need for txt

10. Jun 23, 2014 at 5:41 PM
    Ricks2013

Ricks2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport DCSB
    A few things
  11. Jun 23, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    tacodane

tacodane The Slow But Getting Somewhere Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    Led Interior Lights AFE CAI Stage II, Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler Snugtop Cab-Hi shell TRS Retrofitted Headlights
    Ohhh can't wait!!

12. Jun 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Pics added. Text to come in a bit - I need a break. :eek:

13. Jun 24, 2014 at 3:43 AM
    gti2taco

gti2taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    14 trd offroad, stock
    Replying so I can purchase my grille. I understand the directions. Get hammer and break stuff... I got this.

14. Jun 24, 2014 at 4:20 AM
    Edpfd

Edpfd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    RI
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Mayhem tank wheels Duratracs..ARE MX cap bed mat , weather tech mats, Leather Two tone heated seats, N-Fab steps, Brute Force front Bumper , Led Fogs
    I can't wait to get started

15. Jun 24, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    urbncby

urbncby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD Off-Road
    Ironman 4X4 Foam Cell Pro stage 2, 33” MT’s, Victory 4x4 winch bumper.
    Looking good, pretty straight forward.

16. Jun 24, 2014 at 6:27 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    :laughing:

17. Jun 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    gravedgr

gravedgr dirty Ford driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 DCSB TRD Off Road (Blue) - gone
    Method Racing Mesh wheels (17x8.5), Cooper ST Maxx tires (285/70/17), Toytec Ultimate lift (3"), Wet Okole seat covers, WT mats, Gemtex mirror, CF stubby antenna, scoop hood, painted grill surround, SOS bumper, SOS bed rack, Tepui Autana RTT, Engo 10k winch, bed lights, under hood lights, diff breather, 12v bed socket, 31M battery + battery monitor
  18. Jun 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    OK - OP is updated and complete. Any questions? :notsure:

19. Jun 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    Awesome Craig

20. Jun 24, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Pretty straightforward right?

To Top