Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   HomerTaco (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/homertaco/)
-   -   Satoshi Bumper Information (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/homertaco/149137-satoshi-bumper-information.html)

HomerTaco 03-31-2011 07:01 PM

Satoshi Bumper Information
 
I figured I would try to not crap up the GB thread with more pics and information...
Here is some better pics of the BUMPER piece for the Satoshi GB Mesh...
My Truck:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...livehWD4Wc.jpg
(obviously this pic is from before I put the triangle pieces in...)

closer:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...i_Bumper_3.jpg

Another:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...i_Bumper_2.jpg

And Another:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...i_Bumper_1.jpg

From the inside...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...i_Bumper_4.jpg


As you can see, this in NOT an insert...

I removed all of the plastic cross pieces & formed the mesh to attach from the BACK of the bumper.

The best method I could come up with to install this was zip ties on the ends and 4 screws into the top of the opening to hold it on.

This post is for those of you who are interested in matching the bumper to the grille and/or scoop.

It will probably take longer to do this then install the satoshi insert on the main grill...

I wanted to get full disclosure on this so everyone that has committed to this knows EXACTLY what is involved.

Read post #17 for great how-to info & pics by alanmeyer!

Feel free to post any questions!

e money 03-31-2011 07:07 PM

Looks nice man!

JonnyBb 03-31-2011 07:08 PM

Thanks for the extra info

mattg43 03-31-2011 08:19 PM

To clarify, this is not reversible when done, correct?

HomerTaco 03-31-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg43 (Post 2961021)
To clarify, this is not reversible when done, correct?

You could remove the mesh, then there would just be an open space in the bumper...
The bumper "grill" can't be separated like the upper grill can.
I know this because I disassembled the entire front end when I first completed the Mod.
Why would you want to reverse it anyway?

mattg43 04-01-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerTaco (Post 2961047)
Why would you want to reverse it anyway?

I like things back to stock when its time to sell.

T4C0CH40S 04-07-2011 04:54 PM

As far as "removing" the bumper pieces, i havent looked at it yet but how exactly did you remove them?

HomerTaco 04-07-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4C0CH40S (Post 2997583)
As far as "removing" the bumper pieces, i havent looked at it yet but how exactly did you remove them?

The handy dandy Dremmel Tool! :cool:

T4C0CH40S 04-07-2011 05:03 PM

Alright thats what I assumed. Im gunna gave to steal my dads.

The key to all gifts I get for my dad: I always get him something ill probably need to borrow down the road :cool:

HomerTaco 04-07-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4C0CH40S (Post 2997644)
Alright thats what I assumed. Im gunna gave to steal my dads.

The key to all gifts I get for my dad: I always get him something ill probably need to borrow down the road :cool:

Me too...:o

06TXED 04-07-2011 05:29 PM

homer, what mesh do you have in the pics above? In the GB it looks like #1 or #2

HomerTaco 04-07-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06TXED (Post 2997753)
homer, what mesh do you have in the pics above? In the GB it looks like #1 or #2

It is #2

The sample pics in the GB are leftover pieces from my original build...:D

pinktaco808 04-07-2011 10:47 PM

what you used to fill in the holes with???

alanmeyer 10-19-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerTaco (Post 2997608)
The handy dandy Dremmel Tool! :cool:

Can you provide more details about this? Specifically:

(1) Do you have to remove the bumper or did you make all your mods in place?
(2) Once you dremmeled the old insert out, did you need to fill any gaps or touch up any paint?

CQB 1911 10-27-2011 06:35 PM

^
Once you cut out the bumper insert do you need to fill any gaps or touch up any paint?

HomerTaco 10-27-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CQB 1911 (Post 3934533)
^
Once you cut out the bumper insert do you need to fill any gaps or touch up any paint?

Yes, there will be two slots to fill in on either side... There are some small slots left on the top, but I used them to fasten the mesh with a few screws...

I took the damn thing off the truck to do it...:rolleyes:

alanmeyer 11-20-2011 11:22 PM

Ok, I finally took the plunge and did the mod/install on Saturday. I got the mesh from homertaco (thanks, Craig!). It wasn't too hard, but it took me most of the day due to having to look at the pieces and figure out what I wanted to do, not to mention things like epoxy/glue and paint drying time.

Here was my starting point:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-03.jpg

Below is the result:
-- Apologies for the poor lighting. It was dark when I finally finished!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-45.jpg


Below is the backside of the bumper. As you can see, the 'insert' isn't an insert at all. It's just a part of the bumper that goes unpainted.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-11.jpg

Below is the bumper immediately following the removal of the inner piece:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-15.jpg

Also, a dremel works OK, but not at these angles. Instead, I used my angle grinder with a cut off wheel. It went thru the plastic like butter... just need to have a steady hand!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-22.jpg

It took a bit of sanding to get the surface flat:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-20.jpg

Here's the side, where there is a pretty large hole left over. I recycled some of the inner plastic to 'fill' the hole since the thickness was pretty close. It's actually 2 pieces - 1 to roughly match the size of the hole, and a backing piece to give it better structure/support. The pictures below shows it just after I glued the pieces together. I filled the remaining gap with some gorilla glue. After letting it dry I was able to sand it down relatively flat.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-24.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-25.jpg

The next step was paint. The image below is the etch primer I used. The only color my local home depot had was 'green' etch :(, making my painting a 2 step process
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-28.jpg

While I was waiting, painted some screws black too. I used these screws to fasten the top part of the mesh to the bumper. I ended up drilling new holes to match the locations on the mesh.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-30.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-32.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-33.jpg

Another comment is that since the bumper is curved, that you also need to curve the mesh. It's not too hard to do, but it's tricky because the top half of the bumper is not as deep as the bottom half. That makes it harder to get the screws to mount into the bumper and mesh.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-45.jpg

HomerTaco 11-21-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanmeyer (Post 4063743)
Ok, I finally took the plunge and did the mod/install on Saturday. I got the mesh from homertaco (thanks, Craig!). It wasn't too hard, but it took me most of the day due to having to look at the pieces and figure out what I wanted to do, not to mention things like epoxy/glue and paint drying time.

Here was my starting point:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-03.jpg

Below is the result:
-- Apologies for the poor lighting. It was dark when I finally finished!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-45.jpg


Below is the backside of the bumper. As you can see, the "insert" isn't an insert at all. It's just a part of the bumper that goes unpainted.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-11.jpg

Below is the bumper immediately following the removal of the inner piece:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-15.jpg

Also, a dremel works OK, but not at these angles. Instead, I used my angle grinder with a cut off wheel. It went thru the plastic like butter... just need to have a steady hand!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-22.jpg

It took a bit of sanding to get the surface flat:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-20.jpg

Here's the side, where there is a pretty large hole left over. I recycled some of the inner plastic to "fill" the hole since the thickness was pretty close. It's actually 2 pieces - 1 to roughly match the size of the hole, and a backing piece to give it better structure/support. The pictures below shows it just after I glued the pieces together. I filled the remaining gap with some gorilla glue. After letting it dry I was able to sand it down relatively flat.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-24.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-25.jpg

The next step was paint. The image below is the etch primer I used. The only color my local home depot had was "green" etch :(, making my painting a 2 step process
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-28.jpg

While I was waiting, painted some screws black too. I used these screws to fasten the top part of the mesh to the bumper. I ended up drilling new holes to match the locations on the mesh.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-30.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-32.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-33.jpg

Another comment is that since the bumper is curved, that you also need to curve the mesh. It's not too hard to do, but it's tricky because the top half of the bumper is not as deep as the bottom half. That makes it harder to get the screws to mount into the bumper and mesh.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...a-Grill-45.jpg

Awesome Job Alan!
This is the write up I wanted to do but never did....:rolleyes:
Great detail & effort!
Thank you!
~ Craig

alanmeyer 11-22-2011 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Also, here's the instructions for removing the front bumper:

Attachment 126100

I found it via this link

Enjoy,
-Alan

Sankofa 12-23-2011 12:59 PM

Looks really nice. Thank you for the write up.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:03 AM.