Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   HomerTaco (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/homertaco/)
-   -   Ask the Grill guy! (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/homertaco/264606-ask-grill-guy.html)

HomerTaco 02-21-2013 06:38 PM

Ask the Grill guy!
 
Go ahead! Got a Grill question? Post it up here & I'll do my best to assist. :D

Large 02-21-2013 06:41 PM

How do I get my grill up to temp faster :cool:

Joking, do you have the hook up on getting them painted?

deadhed61 02-21-2013 06:43 PM

sub'd.

Since a certain someone, who shall not be named, isn't making 2012 satoshi's :D I'll be starting mine soon and will def have some questions!

RMAN808 02-21-2013 06:43 PM

Why you no make 98-00 satoshi???? :anon:


:p :D just kidding!!

HomerTaco 02-21-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Large (Post 6479054)
How do I get my grill up to temp faster :cool:

Joking, do you have the hook up on getting them painted?

I have mine done by a Pro Body shop but I've seen some pretty good DIY paint jobs.
I don't have the patience for it but for anyone who is interested this website has everything you need to do a color match paint job:

www.paintscratch.com

:D

MapleMoose 02-21-2013 06:44 PM

Painting.

Best paint/primer brand?
How many coats?

Tips to help make the paint last longer under various conditions/temperature.


Thanks!

HomerTaco 02-21-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadhed61 (Post 6479065)
sub'd.

Since a certain someone, who shall not be named, isn't making 2012 satoshi's :D I'll be starting mine soon and will def have some questions!

I am currently working on a mesh-only insert option for the 2012.

I have not forgotten you guys.;)

HomerTaco 02-21-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMAN808 (Post 6479072)
Why you no make 98-00 satoshi???? :anon:


:p :D just kidding!!

Honestly I had a very difficult time with the properties of the thermoplastic used on that year grill. It did not agree with my process and was very difficult to form.
I did one for MTgirl and that was it. :o
I simply don't have the time to really take on more work either. :(

RMAN808 02-21-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerTaco (Post 6479109)
Honestly I had a very difficult time with the properties of the thermoplastic used on that year grill. It did not agree with my process and was very difficult to form.
I did one for MTgirl and that was it. :o
I simply don't have the time to really take on more work either. :(

Yea I've asked you this before but just making trouble... :p

Anywho, I'm planning on getting some mesh from you sometime before this summer. Might try to tackle this project (finally). Although I don't think I like the deep dish look. How does one go about make it more of a shallower mount, but not necessarily "flush"? Do you just cut the inside of the grille in closer to the front so the mesh rests on it closer?

HomerTaco 02-21-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr97tacoma (Post 6479081)
Painting.

Best paint/primer brand?
How many coats?

Tips to help make the paint last longer under various conditions/temperature.


Thanks!

If you are referring to how I do the inner surrounds the key is prep.
Even if it is still a factory smooth surface I sand with 220 grit and prime with Rustoleum Filler Primer. cleaning with an air gun then wiping down with a tack cloth is a must! Three coats of flat black & it's all set to assemble.

As far as temp - I heat up my shop nowadays just to be able to paint!
As far as durability to the end user in extreme temps - I have had no complaints.
I've shipped grills to all kinds of climates. :o

HomerTaco 02-21-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMAN808 (Post 6479141)
Yea I've asked you this before but just making trouble... :p

Anywho, I'm planning on getting some mesh from you sometime before this summer. Might try to tackle this project (finally). Although I don't think I like the deep dish look. How does one go about make it more of a shallower mount, but not necessarily "flush"? Do you just cut the inside of the grille in closer to the front so the mesh rests on it closer?

You got it. ;)

RMAN808 02-21-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerTaco (Post 6479154)
You got it. ;)

Awesome! Thanks, :homer:!!

benbacher 02-21-2013 06:54 PM

My grill is cold. Paint doesn't react to the cold in my experience. And we're talking well below zero temps a lot of the time.

Speaking of that Craig I should have pics of it all very soon. It's at the paint shop finally :woot:

MapleMoose 02-21-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerTaco (Post 6479144)
If you are referring to how I do the inner surrounds the key is prep.
Even if it is still a factory smooth surface I sand with 220 grit and prime with Rustoleum Filler Primer. cleaning with an air gun then wiping down with a tack cloth is a must! Three coats of flat black & it's all set to assemble.

As far as temp - I heat up my shop nowadays just to be able to paint!
As far as durability to the end user in extreme temps - I have had no complaints.
I've shipped grills to all kinds of climates. :o

Thanks. My first paint job hasnt lasted as long i thought. The white paint is starting to stain from all the bugs and weather that its been exposed to. And no matter how much i wash it, its still stained an off white colour.

HomerTaco 02-21-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbacher (Post 6479170)
My grill is cold. Paint doesn't react to the cold in my experience. And we're talking well below zero temps a lot of the time.

Speaking of that Craig I should have pics of it all very soon. It's at the paint shop finally :woot:

I look forward to seeing it Ben! :D

HomerTaco 02-21-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr97tacoma (Post 6479176)
Thanks. My first paint job hasnt lasted as long i thought. The white paint is starting to stain from all the bugs and weather that its been exposed to. And no matter how much i wash it, its still stained an off white colour.

For that I'd say this:
If you decide to redo it go double on a good clear coat. That's the way to go.;)
The shop that does mine puts a killer clear on them that is super easy to shine.

ToyoTaco12 02-21-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerTaco (Post 6479089)
I am currently working on a mesh-only insert option for the 2012.

I have not forgotten you guys.;)


Once you have those done please let me know. I'm definitely interested!

evanmb31 02-21-2013 07:07 PM

Question about the 05-11 thin lips. There is the mounting point thing on the bottom of the grill in the center, do you have to cut it? Thinking about going from full depth to thin lip but i have a grillcraft insert, wondering if you leave the mounting point and notch the mesh around it.

HomerTaco 02-21-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanmb31 (Post 6479271)
Question about the 05-11 thin lips. There is the mounting point thing on the bottom of the grill in the center, do you have to cut it? Thinking about going from full depth to thin lip but i have a grillcraft insert, wondering if you leave the mounting point and notch the mesh around it.

If your referring to that stupid little guide pin in the center bottom of the grill go ahead & lop the damn thing off - it's useless other than centering the grill when you put it on the truck.
I'm leaning towards removing them from every grill I produce.

chris4x4 02-21-2013 07:10 PM

How do I get burned on chicken, off my grill?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:24 AM.