1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5th Gen 4Runner Grill How-to

Discussion in 'HomerTaco' started by HomerTaco, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Mar 2, 2014 at 6:57 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Before I can sell you a mesh kit for this style grill I have to show you how to prep your grill to accept the mesh. :cool:

Here is the style grill - 2010 & up Toyota 4Runner (the 5th body style for this SUV):
    [​IMG]

For the first step you'll need a basic Philips head screwdriver. From the back, remove all 16 screws and carefully separate the outer surround and center insert from the grill frame:
    [​IMG]

Put the outer surround aside - we'll need that later.
    You will never need the inner cap section or Toyota emblem again for this grill so discard them or put them away to collect dust.
    This is the piece we are interested in:
    [​IMG]

The next part is the most important - and understand: Once you do this there is no going back!
    100% committed! :D

We are going to remove the center plastic "mesh" from the inner grill frame:
    [​IMG]

Do do this you are going to need a tool capable of cutting through ABS plastic.
    I use this:
    [​IMG]

You could also use the rotary Dremmel with a cut-off wheel just watch the RPM's ;)

The goal here is to cleanly remove the plastic mesh pattern and retain the outer shape of the grill.

My best advice: Take your time!

Here are some detailed pics of where you will need to cut:

This is the side of the grill - notice the small front lip is still intact. I use this as a guide line for cutting.
    [​IMG]

This is the top over where the stock toyota emblem was - it gets a bit thin there so be careful.
    [​IMG]

For the bottom I leave part of the cross pieces intact - to do otherwise I feel would have an adverse affect on the structural integrity of the part.
    [​IMG]

Once you are done you'll be left with this:
    [​IMG]

The next step will be cleaning up our grill surround - I simply took a razor knife to all the plastic boogers left over from the cutting
    there really is no need to go nuts sanding & painting - you won't really see any of the edges once the mesh is installed.

Here is a shot of the bottom where the mesh is fastened with 5 #8 1/2" stainless screws (Included with grill)

[​IMG]

In this shot you can also see the most difficult aspect of these builds - getting that curve... without that the mesh would not fit well at all. It was exceedingly difficult to get that right.

Once I have the batch back from powder coat the end of this week I'll complete this write up with additional install pics and offer the first batch for sale.

More to come...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Mar 2, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 AR10 is 5 ARs better

Member:
    Triangle of 26726, 21532, 21502
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    Please refer to build (click signature picture)
    TO BE CONTINUED?! AWE SHEEEEEIT. Cant wait! SUB'D

3. Mar 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    c2one

c2one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '13 Classic Silver SR5 4Runner
    Another step closer!!!

4. Mar 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Pulled this little gem out of my archives...
    Going to need it shortly. :D

[​IMG]

5. Mar 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Added info to the OP.

6. Mar 5, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    c2one

c2one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Perfect reason to go and buy a new tool! :thumbsup:

7. Mar 5, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    AR15xAR10

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, i have four or five regular dremels but no cutting ones like that....

8. Mar 5, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    You can pic up the older ones used on fleabay for like $50 or so...

The MultiMax tools are much more robust than the rotary tools.
    I've burned up 6-7 rotarys in like 3 years - only killed one MultiMax and it took almost 3 years to do it.:eek:

9. Mar 5, 2014 at 8:45 PM
    AR15xAR10

Member:
    Vehicle:
    why do you think i have so many rotaries lol...

10. Mar 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Then you do a bunch of metal work and it looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pretty neat. :D

11. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:10 PM
    AR15xAR10

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hot. Like to see one in red with black mesh

12. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    c2one

c2one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:

Haha!

Looks. Freaking. Amazing. I'm excited to see it PC'd.

13. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I'm aiming to get a few sets made up and get them into my next p/c batch.

What do you think: shipped with letters attached or separate?

14. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    toy2g

toy2g Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Columbus OH
    Vehicle:
    2008 Budget 4x4 Reg Cab
    Toytec Boss 2.0, Rocktek F-Bumper, Body Armour R-Bumper, FTS Snorkel, Superwinch 4500
    How do the letters attach? I think if they are easy to attach and the attachment points are pre drilled or marked, so we can do the Toyota letters in any color we want???? Just guessing. BTW, I have two 5th gens now, so I'm going to need two of these.

15. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    c2one

c2one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Attached. :cool:

16. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:35 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I use 3M exterior adhesive mounting tape for the letters.

Attached it is.... :D

AR15xAR10 likes this.
  17. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:37 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I only offer them powder coated matte black like the mesh - if you wanted them another color you'd have to do that yourself.;)
    In that case I'd ship them unattached like I do when someone wants to do that on a Tacoma raptor grill.

AR15xAR10 likes this.
  18. Mar 19, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    c2one

c2one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Just got this. $59.99 delivered from eBay... Thanks for the tip!
    uvu2aty9_15e0266e7ca107f9be227141d4a2d8ad1a1d0a07.jpg

Hoping to start cutting up my spare grill this weekend. :)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    AR15xAR10 likes this.
  19. Mar 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    AR15xAR10

Member:
    Vehicle:

Buys multi max dremel.

Only uses it once to make grill.

Lol. Have fun! Love to see what you create!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    ChadsPride likes this.
  20. Mar 19, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I am headed to North Carolina this coming weekend for the hurricane Creek meet.
    I'll post a bunch of pictures once I get the current powder coat batch back and then we will go from there.

AR15xAR10 likes this.
To Top