Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ICON Vehicle Dynamics

Notices

Icon Stage 4 Sweet looks Ehhh performance

Old 05-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
RDtres is on a distinguished road
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Icon Stage 4 Sweet looks Ehhh performance

Hey guys, I just installed a stage 4 2.5 lift from Icon on my 2012 Taco DBC LB 4x4, new wheels (TRD's) and new rubber (BFG TKO's). And I'm pleased aesthetically but not nearly as comfy as I had hoped. $4k for suspension lift should feel smooth on the street, certainly NOT rougher than stock. I'm hoping putting some miles on the truck will soften up the springs a lot. It rides stiff, particularly over speed bumps with a hop from the front. Also, when I come to a stop the truck seems to rock back and forth slightly. Any advice or experience out there? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Icon Stage 4 Sweet looks Ehhh performance-imag0255.jpg  
Old 05-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried them in the dirt yet? Hate to see you spend $4K of street suspension haha
Old 05-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Most aftermarket suspensions are stiffer than stock... The Icon Stage 4 kit isn't made to run the street, it's made to take hit hits off road which is where it shines over stock. I hate to say it but if you never leave the pavement, you needlessly spend way more than you needed to for a lift...

Also, what load range are your tires? If they are D or E, that could be part of your problem.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OP one thing you can do to alleviate it being rough on the street is to get soft springs. I think Icons come with 650lb springs for 2nd Gens, but you can go as low as 500lb springs. Just a thought
Old 05-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Plus it takes them some time to break in. Ive heard that with almost every shock
Available the first couple days are terrible. Go do some
Quick runs in the mud and get that suspension working, that's the best thing for them. Dakars and expo leaf packs are noticeably different after a few runs through the dirt.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
KCCO
FarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud of
FarmBoyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Streets are not what lift kits are meant for.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Membor
Cowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura about

Name: Luke
Cowboyz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDtres View Post
Hey guys, I just installed a stage 4 2.5 lift from Icon on my 2012 Taco DBC LB 4x4, new wheels (TRD's) and new rubber (BFG TKO's). And I'm pleased aesthetically but not nearly as comfy as I had hoped. $4k for suspension lift should feel smooth on the street, certainly NOT rougher than stock. I'm hoping putting some miles on the truck will soften up the springs a lot. It rides stiff, particularly over speed bumps with a hop from the front. Also, when I come to a stop the truck seems to rock back and forth slightly. Any advice or experience out there? Thank you
have you checked your tire pressure? if they are over inflated it would feel that way over a speed bump. how far are your icons cranked up?
Old 05-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you all for the information. I agree Stage 4 should shine off road (fingers crossed), but heck it should also shine on-road also. Reality is most driving is on pavement, but I went with Icon because they claimed to be the most comfortable daily use lift. If the setup was truley progressive, speedbumps shouldn't feel worse than stock, extra travel should equal extra comfy

Black Hawk, thx for the info on coil rates. If this doesn't get better I'll def be reaching out to Icon for different rate springs.

Yes, my tires are BFG TA KO 285/75/16 E rated and running currently at 35psi. This may play a role. I plan to run a chaulk test and find optimal street psi.

Ben, I agree with you as I'll be heading to the desert this weekend to rub some dirt on the setup and hope it finds a happy place.

All in all this setup just makes me want a dual rate instead :/ and so far no bueno
Old 05-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

speed bumps make me feel like my truck is falling apart
Old 05-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Cheeba Chief
Nicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Nicks4x4LT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
speed bumps make me feel like my truck is falling apart
lol i love the noises that come with it
Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a good chunk of change! That sucker better start riding better!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Thats a good chunk of change! That sucker better start riding better!
Exactly my point FireFighter!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Exactly my point FireFighter!
Also, how far down have you cranked those springs?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
OP one thing you can do to alleviate it being rough on the street is to get soft springs. I think Icons come with 650lb springs for 2nd Gens, but you can go as low as 500lb springs. Just a thought
500# springs would give less lift than stock. To get height, you need to increase spring rate, or preload. This equals a more firm ride. Taking out some of the low speed dampening can give a better street ride.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Rears we're supposed to lift 1.5" and front's were supposed to come 2.0 lift from the factory. After measuring level, I cranked the fronts 10 full turns each. They seam to sit half way on the threads overall. This left me with .5 in higher in the rear to compenste for light loads in the bed or additional passengers.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
500# springs would give less lift than stock. To get height, you need to increase spring rate, or preload. This equals a more firm ride. Taking out some of the low speed dampening can give a better street ride.
we're not gonna crank pre-load with the 500lbs, gonna have her ride stink bug; face down - ass up

reduce nitro psi could help a little too
Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Rears we're supposed to lift 1.5" and front's were supposed to come 2.0 lift from the factory. After measuring level, I cranked the fronts 10 full turns each. They seam to sit half way on the threads overall. This left me with .5 in higher in the rear to compenste for light loads in the bed or additional passengers.
What are your before lift measurments? Mine came set at 3" lift from the factory. I'd bet you gave them too much preload, which is why the ride is unacceptable.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Crank some presure off the springs, lower the lift and add a 1/2 top plate with longer bolts. Thats what i did and the front is softer then what i had before.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Icon suspensions are made for medium to high-speed offroad use. If you're driving one around on the street, you just bought the wrong suspension for your job. Do your homework next time.

A progressively valved system (King, Fox) typically works better on road at low speeds offroad at low speeds in terms of damping. Digressively valved systems like Icon work better offroad at higher speed and on bigger hits (think potholes) on road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
What are your before lift measurments? Mine came set at 3" lift from the factory. I'd bet you gave them too much preload, which is why the ride is unacceptable.
This.

10 turns is adding about 2" of lift from whatever they were set at factory, which is usually about 2.5". If you're running 4"+ of front lift on coilovers meant for 3.5 or less, you're gonna have a bad time.

Quote:
I agree Stage 4 should shine off road (fingers crossed), but heck it should also shine on-road also.
Would you also like a boat that is excellent in water and on land?

Quote:
If the setup was truley progressive, speedbumps shouldn't feel worse than stock, extra travel should equal extra comfy.
It's digressive.