Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ICON Vehicle Dynamics

Notices

Icon vs. OME

Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
Griff 99 TRD is on a distinguished road
Griff 99 TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You can substute the stock 650lbs 13.5" spring on the Icons with a King 14" 700lbs 14" spring which will allow you to have less preload at the same height
Mitch,

I just put my numbers in as per your request. At this point everything is stock and, to be honest, I have no idea what to measure for the other areas.

Right now, I have $1,800 to spend on a 3" suspension lift. But, I can throw in a few hundred more to get the right products.

I don't do much off-roading at this point in time. I never wanted to cause any damage to my truck since it's my daily driving vehicle; therefore, I was hoping with this 3" suspension lift I could start doing more.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
Icon here, works great on road and great off-road. I live in the desert, but like mild off-roading. the Icon extended travel is very nice for me. BUT you don't want to crank them as high as you can as they will top-out and ride horrible. I am running the standard 650 lb springd with a front plate bumper, winch, steel skid plate, ang sliders. Ride heigth is perfect for me as set up bt DownSouth Motorsports.I am at 2" lift over stock suspension wth Icon mini pack in rear.

My current plan is to have a maximum lift of 3". Will Icon give me a 3" lift? Have you noticed any vibrations with the 650lb front springs? I think my '99 TRD already has a plate covering the transfer case, but I plan on installing an after market front bumper and winch.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #23
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff 99 TRD View Post
Mitch,

I just put my numbers in as per your request. At this point everything is stock and, to be honest, I have no idea what to measure for the other areas.

Right now, I have $1,800 to spend on a 3" suspension lift. But, I can throw in a few hundred more to get the right products.

I don't do much off-roading at this point in time. I never wanted to cause any damage to my truck since it's my daily driving vehicle; therefore, I was hoping with this 3" suspension lift I could start doing more.

I did an Icon Stage 1.5 from DownSouthMotorsports. Its the Icon Stage1 with their AAL. I did not do any remote reservoirs which kept the cost down. Then I installed LR UCA's instead of Uniball UCAs again to keep cost down. You can get that same kit installed by yourself for under 1800
Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
OME suspension and a full race coilover like Icon is no comparison.

The OME stuff is just a higher performance replacement type option. Coilovers like Icon, sway away, king, fox, etc...are high end performance coilovers designed to soak up the rough stuff and perform great off road.

The ome kits are great, and perform great, but nothing like a full coilover.

Coilovers are also adjustable and you can get a lot of heights out of them, while with the OME you pick a coil and are stuck with that height.

It depends on what you do with your truck, and your budget.

Plus like other said, Icons and most other coilovers are rebuild-able. When OME wears out, you throw it away and get more. Coilovers can have seals, bearings, shafts, coils, etc.. replaced and run them season after season.
I'd like a 3" suspension lift. I want to be able to go through all types of terrain: mud and snow. I currently have $1,800 to put toward the project.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #25
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think my '99 TRD already has a plate covering the transfer case, but I plan on installing an after market front bumper and winch.

Oh shit. I just realized that you have a Gen 1. My stats and experience is 2nd Gen only.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #26
Quote:
I did an Icon Stage 1.5 from DownSouthMotorsports. Its the Icon Stage1 with their AAL. I did not do any remote reservoirs which kept the cost down. Then I installed LR UCA's instead of Uniball UCAs again to keep cost down. You can get that same kit installed by yourself for under 1800

O.k. forgive my stupidity here, what does "AAL" stand for? I know UCA is upper control arm, however what does "LR" stand for? I plan on doing the project myself along with a buddy who is a certified mechanic. I do know that Icon comes with three different stage systems, but I don't know what the benefits are of having a reservoir shock...
Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #27

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
O.k. forgive my stupidity here, what does "AAL" stand for? I know UCA is upper control arm, however what does "LR" stand for? I plan on doing the project myself along with a buddy who is a certified mechanic. I do know that Icon comes with three different stage systems, but I don't know what the benefits are of having a reservoir shock...

AAL stands for Add-A-Leaf for the rear leafs. That is where you gain your real lift.

LR is Light Racing, its a company that is about half the cost of the uniball UCAs since it is a Ball Joint UCA.

If you have a remote reservoir, you have more oil that is able to keep the shock cooler. This helps in long distance runs at high speeds. Keeps the shocks cooler during operation.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #28
Quote:
Oh shit. I just realized that you have a Gen 1. My stats and experience is 2nd Gen only.

No worries, man!! So, does your opinion differ now that you know I have a Gen 1 Tacoma?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #29
Quote:
AAL stands for Add-A-Leaf for the rear leafs. That is where you gain your real lift.

LR is Light Racing, its a company that is about half the cost of the uniball UCAs since it is a Ball Joint UCA.

If you have a remote reservoir, you have more oil that is able to keep the shock cooler. This helps in long distance runs at high speeds. Keeps the shocks cooler during operation.

Gotcha!! Thanks for acronym lesson lol.

I normally don't drive over 75 mph, so I don't know if a remote reservoir is necessary. I'm pretty sure you don't need an aftermarket UCA with the OME system. But the Icon Stage 3 sounds pretty awesome!! If I were to get that then I guess I would have to get a heavy duty front spring to support a winch and an aftermarket front bumper.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #30
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Gotcha!! Thanks for acronym lesson lol.

I normally don't drive over 75 mph, so I don't know if a remote reservoir is necessary. I'm pretty sure you don't need an aftermarket UCA with the OME system. But the Icon Stage 3 sounds pretty awesome!! If I were to get that then I guess I would have to get a heavy duty front spring to support a winch and an aftermarket front bumper.
You may not even need a heavier spring for a bumper and winch. If you have a 4 cylinder the 650lb coils can hold a winch and bumper no problem.

The Icon stage 3 kit is great. In No way a bad choice.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
You may not even need a heavier spring for a bumper and winch. If you have a 4 cylinder the 650lb coils can hold a winch and bumper no problem.

The Icon stage 3 kit is great. In No way a bad choice.
I've got a V6. Will the stage 3 kit provide a 3" suspension lift?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #32
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, the stage 3 kit will give a 3" lift. Most coilovers are adjustable for 0-3" of lift. But with a v6 you may want to eventually upgrade the coils because av6, winch, and bumper may cause the existing coils to sag.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #33
Direct Representative
ICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant future

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can substute the stock 650lbs 13.5" spring on the Icons with a King 14" 700lbs 14" spring which will allow you to have less preload at the same height
We are actually about to release our own ICON engineered 14 x 700lb coil as a second option when heavier weights are added to the front half of the vehicle. This coil will be best when you have a heavy steel bumper, winch, heavy skids that push additional weight up in the 250+ over stock range, otherwise it may stiffen up the front a little more then most would desire. Because our standard 13 x 650lb coil does not coil bind in the useable travel range of the shocks, you can adjust them to compensate for a decent amount of weight and still work as designed.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #34

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICONRep View Post
We are actually about to release our own ICON engineered 14 x 700lb coil as a second option when heavier weights are added to the front half of the vehicle. This coil will be best when you have a heavy steel bumper, winch, heavy skids that push additional weight up in the 250+ over stock range, otherwise it may stiffen up the front a little more then most would desire. Because our standard 13 x 650lb coil does not coil bind in the useable travel range of the shocks, you can adjust them to compensate for a decent amount of weight and still work as designed.
Hell yes! Any plans on a 14" 650 lbs coil for people who don't have the extra weight but want less preload?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #35
SportyHeretic is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Electronic Warfare
Name: Jeremy
SportyHeretic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hell yes! Any plans on a 14" 650 lbs coil for people who don't have the extra weight but want less preload?
I need more ICON
Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #36
adrn1986 will become famous soon enough
Name: Adrian
adrn1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sure if a 14" x 650lbs will ever be made.
There aren't any benefits to be gained from a longer 650lbs. Our 13" x 650lbs and threaded cylinders are made to complement one another. The cylinder threads end before you can coil bind the spring. Adding 1" to the overall length without changing the rate can, in theory, reach coil bind if crank too much preload into the spring.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #37

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrn1986 View Post
Not sure if a 14" x 650lbs will ever be made.
There aren't any benefits to be gained from a longer 650lbs. Our 13" x 650lbs and threaded cylinders are made to complement one another. The cylinder threads end before you can coil bind the spring. Adding 1" to the overall length without changing the rate can, in theory, reach coil bind if crank too much preload into the spring.
But it would allow you to have the same height of lift with less preload on the spring.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #38
adrn1986 will become famous soon enough
Name: Adrian
adrn1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But it would allow you to have the same height of lift with less preload on the spring.
Correct.

Less preload but run the risk of some customers cranking the adjuster to coil bind. That's why the spring was designed to be 13" rather then 14" and the threads on the cylinder end where they do currently. There are some people that may not be as mechanically savy and/or would ignore a written warning to not cant more then (whatever length it may be)" of thread showing. That would lead to broken coil buckets, broken shock tabs and spring sag at an unimaginable rate.

There really is nothing to gain from running less preload, other then less threads showing.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #39

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrn1986 View Post
Correct.

Less preload but run the risk of some customers cranking the adjuster to coil bind. That's why the spring was designed to be 13" rather then 14" and the threads on the cylinder end where they do currently. There are some people that may not be as mechanically savy and/or would ignore a written warning to not cant more then (whatever length it may be)" of thread showing. That would lead to broken coil buckets, broken shock tabs and spring sag at an unimaginable rate.

There really is nothing to gain from running less preload, other then less threads showing.
Okay
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #40
bridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: If I told you....I'd have to kill you. ;-)
bridgcat's Tacoma Gallery
I went with Icon and I have 0 complaints! Even after I adjusted mine to be level with the rear end the ride is still fantastic! I went with the extended travel coilovers with resi, rear resi shocks, camburg UCA's, dakar leaf springs and timbren bumps and a diff drop and carrier bearing drop (ended up not using the diff drop and got a beafed carrier bearing drop so I didn't use the one I bought first). Total cost me about 3400 shipped.