Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ICON Vehicle Dynamics

Notices

Icon vs. OME

Old 01-19-2013, 02:09 AM   #41
Griff 99 TRD is on a distinguished road
Griff 99 TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgcat View Post
I went with Icon and I have 0 complaints! Even after I adjusted mine to be level with the rear end the ride is still fantastic! I went with the extended travel coilovers with resi, rear resi shocks, camburg UCA's, dakar leaf springs and timbren bumps and a diff drop and carrier bearing drop (ended up not using the diff drop and got a beafed carrier bearing drop so I didn't use the one I bought first). Total cost me about 3400 shipped.
FOR NOW, I'm going with the OME Suspension Lift Kit. My thought process is that I'd rather not drop the money now if I'm not going to become an avid off-roading enthusiast. I figure if I start getting more into the off-roading scene I can always upgrade to Icon front and rear reservoir shocks. I don't know if I'll (also) need to get the coil over(s), too since I'm getting the OME 883 HD springs in order to compensate for my future after market winch and front bumper. Thoughts?? Also, how do you like the Timbren bumps? I saw those tonight on Wheelersoffroad.com and, since I don't have much automotive knowledge, I didn't want to invest in a product that is unnecessary. Also, what's the difference between a diff drop and a beafed carrier bearing drop?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #42
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff 99 TRD View Post
FOR NOW, I'm going with the OME Suspension Lift Kit. My thought process is that I'd rather not drop the money now if I'm not going to become an avid off-roading enthusiast. I figure if I start getting more into the off-roading scene I can always upgrade to Icon front and rear reservoir shocks. I don't know if I'll (also) need to get the coil over(s), too since I'm getting the OME 883 HD springs in order to compensate for my future after market winch and front bumper. Thoughts?? Also, how do you like the Timbren bumps? I saw those tonight on Wheelersoffroad.com and, since I don't have much automotive knowledge, I didn't want to invest in a product that is unnecessary. Also, what's the difference between a diff drop and a beafed carrier bearing drop?
If you are going to upgrade later to Icons you have to get the coil over. It is one piece. OME is a strut set up. Meaning you can change the springs (yes you can with the Icon as well but there is a large difference).

If you are going to possibly upgrade save your cash and just do the Icons the first time.

I'm running the Wheelers Super bumps and am happy with them. They are half the cost of the Timbrens.

A Duff drop drops the front differential where a carrier barring drop drops the rear driveshaft about half way down. If you look under the truck you'll see where the driveshaft gets lowered.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #43
bridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: If I told you....I'd have to kill you. ;-)
bridgcat's Tacoma Gallery
I freakin hate the timbrens....damn things are harsh as hell! I'll be upgrading to the Icon hydraulic bumps soon hopefully! I ditched the diff drop after figuring out that it doesn't do anything on the 2nd gen (05+) tacomas. All it does is rotate it forward and causes more issues than resolves...plus my cv's look great. The beefed taco carrier bearing drop was designed by a fellow tw member (beefed taco) and it works a lot better than the ones offered by companies like toytec.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #45
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff 99 TRD View Post
If you do that math...its only marginally more for a full on set of coilovers.

Once you buy the OME struts, the coils, new bushings, new coil isolators (trust me, those will be worn out), and ultimately new studs for the top plate, because they will end up being fucked up.

Then if you dont have a spring compressor you will have to (in order to do it safely) pay for someone to put the shocks/coils together for you.

I was going to get OME for my truck...but I ended up getting some 2.0 sway away coilovers because the coilovers are $750...

While the OME struts are about $300, the coils are $150 a pair, new bushings $30, isolators $20, studs $20 (because my truck currently has a top plate spacer w/ extended studs)

Then shipping, I was less than $200 away from the 2.0 saws....so fuck it...why spend that much when for just a little more I can have the ideal setup I really want.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #46
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking of going with ICON coilovers and want the lift to be about 2.75" in front but am afraid the ride might be too harsh...That's why I thought having a 700#spring with less pre-load might make the ride better than a 650# spring cranked up super high?!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #47
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
I'm thinking of going with ICON coilovers and want the lift to be about 2.75" in front but am afraid the ride might be too harsh...That's why I thought having a 700#spring with less pre-load might make the ride better than a 650# spring cranked up super high?!
Icon's are digressive valved, and will ride stiffer than every other suspension kit out there, anyways.

My sway aways are cranked to almost 3'' and I think the ride is fine.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #48
REDdawn6 is on a distinguished road

REDdawn6's Tacoma Gallery
Is it true you need to re-build them every 50k mi max ? that seems to get a little expensive as well...
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #49

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDdawn6 View Post
Is it true you need to re-build them every 50k mi max ? that seems to get a little expensive as well...
any suspension system with a prudent owner will need attention at 50k anyways. So its either rebuild, or replace the shocks completely.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #50
REDdawn6 is on a distinguished road

REDdawn6's Tacoma Gallery
That makes sense. Have to keep them tuned up. Ty
Old 05-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #51
Griff 99 TRD is on a distinguished road
Griff 99 TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Post lift, my CV Boots are spewing grease...any thoughts on how to fix this? I didn't do a diff drop or carrier drop...but, I stopped driving my truck altogether because I didn't want to cause any damage. There also seems to be whomp type of noise coming from the wheels. I put 15x10 wheels on my truck with 31x10.50...I hope that helps with any kind of recommendations from you automotive sages....