Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ICON Vehicle Dynamics

Notices

Icon vs. OME

Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Griff 99 TRD is on a distinguished road
Griff 99 TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Icon vs. OME

Any opinions on which suspension lift kit is better: OME or Icon? I'm looking to install a 3" suspension lift on my 1999 Tacoma TRD. I've saved up $1,800 and want the best kit that will allow me to not only drive everyday, but go off-roading. Thoughts?

Just a quick sub-note, I'm a novice when it comes to all things automotive...so please bear with me. I joined this forum to learn from all of you experts out there.

Stay Safe!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
SportyHeretic is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Electronic Warfare
Name: Jeremy
SportyHeretic's Tacoma Gallery
i went with the Icon. More expensive but ive heard alot of good things, and so far im loving it
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you want to do. I've heard the OME is good for slower woods stuff. The ICONs are great for some desert running. They soak up whoops nice. ICON is valved in a digressive format vs KING or Fox that are progressive.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Sporty heretic,

Yea, I've heard good things about both brands so I'm in jam now. Icon is definitely more expensive (appx. $700 difference). What kind of off-roading do you do?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
ntilehman,

At this point, I don't really know what kind of off road adventures I'll be doing...I just want a suspension that will promote any and all kinds of adventures; however, that being written, I don't foresee me in the desert in the near future since I'm in GA. lol
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
SportyHeretic is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Electronic Warfare
Name: Jeremy
SportyHeretic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff 99 TRD View Post
Sporty heretic,

Yea, I've heard good things about both brands so I'm in jam now. Icon is definitely more expensive (appx. $700 difference). What kind of off-roading do you do?
Its my DD, mostly paved roads. Ive taken it up to Tahoe to play in the snow a few times and took it on a few dirt trails. Just got it installed in Nov12, haven't had a chance really to test its capabilities.

And i love watching Elmo thanks to you ntilehman.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
I went through the same decision and decided on Icon.

1. Its rebuildable where OME is not
2. Its a true coil over
3. Its adjustable, OME is not
4. Talked to a Sonny at DSM, he sold me.

Its been well worth it. Very easy to install, feels good on road. And worked perfectly this past weekend offroad
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
Mitch,

Does the Icon come in a Heavy Duty version that will allow me to add a winch and bumper?

What do you mean by re-buildable?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
You can run whatever spring rate your heart desires. When the shock is old worn and faded you can tear it apart and rebuild it
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
OME suspension and a full race coilover like Icon is no comparison.

The OME stuff is just a higher performance replacement type option. Coilovers like Icon, sway away, king, fox, etc...are high end performance coilovers designed to soak up the rough stuff and perform great off road.

The ome kits are great, and perform great, but nothing like a full coilover.

Coilovers are also adjustable and you can get a lot of heights out of them, while with the OME you pick a coil and are stuck with that height.

It depends on what you do with your truck, and your budget.

Plus like other said, Icons and most other coilovers are rebuild-able. When OME wears out, you throw it away and get more. Coilovers can have seals, bearings, shafts, coils, etc.. replaced and run them season after season.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
You can run whatever spring rate your heart desires. When the shock is old worn and faded you can tear it apart and rebuild it

Gotcha!! How long does it usually take before a shock becomes old and worn?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
DSYLEXC is on a distinguished road
DSYLEXC's Tacoma Gallery
Icon FTMFW!!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #15
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Gotcha!! How long does it usually take before a shock becomes old and worn?
That depends on how you drive it. Icon told me about 20-50k miles before a rebuild

And everyone above this beat me to the answer for your question
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #16

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, its should come down to what you want/what you plan on doing with your truck. And your spending limit. If its under 1200 go OME (thats with rear Dakars for springs), if its under 2000, go Icon (thats RR from and rears on the Icons)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Icon here, works great on road and great off-road. I live in the desert, but like mild off-roading. the Icon extended travel is very nice for me. BUT you don't want to crank them as high as you can as they will top-out and ride horrible. I am running the standard 650 lb springd with a front plate bumper, winch, steel skid plate, ang sliders. Ride heigth is perfect for me as set up bt DownSouth Motorsports.I am at 2" lift over stock suspension wth Icon mini pack in rear.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #18

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
Icon here, works great on road and great off-road. I live in the desert, but like mild off-roading. the Icon extended travel is very nice for me. BUT you don't want to crank them as high as you can as they will top-out and ride horrible. I am running the standard 650 lb springd with a front plate bumper, winch, steel skid plate, ang sliders. Ride heigth is perfect for me as set up bt DownSouth Motorsports.I am at 2" lift over stock suspension wth Icon mini pack in rear.
Put your numbers here please

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...t-heights.html
Old 01-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post

So, I would need to get Heavy Duty front springs? In other words, how would I alter the spring rate?

Just checked out your build...NICE TRUCK, MAN!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #20

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So, I would need to get Heavy Duty front springs? In other words, how would I alter the spring rate?

Just checked out your build...NICE TRUCK, MAN!!!

You can substute the stock 650lbs 13.5" spring on the Icons with a King 14" 700lbs 14" spring which will allow you to have less preload at the same height