Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ICON Vehicle Dynamics

Notices

AAL Problem?

Old 05-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
AAL Problem?

Went Mid-Travel with my 5 lug. Appear to be having some issues in the rear. ICON 3 Leaf AAL was installed.

Pre-MT measurements were: (from ground to fender/wheel well)
Front: 32"
Rear: 34"
Diff Clearance: 8 5/8"

Post-MT measurerments are:
Front: 35"
Rear:
-P/S: 34"
-D/S: 34.5"
Diff Clearance: 8 5/8"

Read that the AALs are directional for installation. The longer end of the top leaf, from center pin to end, should point towards the rear of the vehicle.

If so, the P/S AAL would be installed correct. Measures approx 18" from center pin to end of the top leaf, pointing towards the rear.

The D/S AAL would be installed incorrect. Measures approx 15" from center pin to end of the top leaf, pointing towards the rear. However, the drivers side is the side that does show some amount of lift to it.

Is something wrong the AALs?

Did I install something else incorrectly? (not much back there, really)

The front is a bit high, would bringing it down to about 2.5" make any kind of difference in the rear?

Please help,
Thanks,
Chris/Quaker
Old 05-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Take a pic of both leaf packs from the side with the tire off. Dropping the front back down won't really affect the rear too much. Usually the shortest side of the aal leaf goes toward the front and the longer side to the rear.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
Take a pic of both leaf packs from the side with the tire off. Dropping the front back down won't really affect the rear too much. Usually the shortest side of the aal leaf goes toward the front and the longer side to the rear.
Yeah, I checked the short/long side thing.

P/S is ok.
D/S is "backwards", short side points towards rear.

D/S does show some lift however. Only like .5", nothing on the P/S.

So I'm...

Pics of the AALs will have to be tomorrow.

Are my OE leafs crap?
Is the AAL crapped out?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
how much does the rear bumper weigh over stock?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #5

Pics of the AALs installed.

The D/S AAL

The P/S AAL
Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Direct Representative
ICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant future

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Yeah, I checked the short/long side thing.

P/S is ok.
D/S is "backwards", short side points towards rear.

D/S does show some lift however. Only like .5", nothing on the P/S.

So I'm...

Pics of the AALs will have to be tomorrow.

Are my OE leafs crap?
Is the AAL crapped out?

Quaker,

I think the best thing here would be to give me a call tomorrow so I can work with you to see what is going on. We sell quite a few of these monthly and do not seem to have many issues, I will help you figure out the answer one way or another.

951-789-4266

Thanks,

Brad
Old 05-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICONRep View Post
Quaker,

I think the best thing here would be to give me a call tomorrow so I can work with you to see what is going on. We sell quite a few of these monthly and do not seem to have many issues, I will help you figure out the answer one way or another.

951-789-4266

Thanks,

Brad
Didn't see this until now. Life is crazy. will be calling Wednesday for sure.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #8

Start with....Brad @ ICON says this AAL was never designed for a 5 lug truck....

I switched the D/S AAL around today and it at least give the same results on both sides. Still only a .5" however. But both sides were looking more even.

I decided to take the AALs off and send them to a spring shop to have them re-arched 2" for a spring under truck.

I'm hoping that its not a completely moronic move on my part and that this will work.

I talked to the guy twice, my service writer is a buddy of his, first time he sounded a little...ehhh....Once he got springs and I talked to him to make sure of the "spring under" part he sounded confident that he could get them taken of. Should have them back tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #9

Re-Arched

How it sits now.