LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ICON Vehicle Dynamics

Notices

Rear shocks

Old 06-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Direct Representative
ICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant future

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveEli View Post
Just recieved my Icon VS 2.0 rear shocks. The nylock will not thread on to the shock. I could probably force in on but I don't want to damage the threads. It barely goes on half a turn. Any suggestions?
First double check to make sure the washers are cupping the bushings and not the opposite. Then if needed put the weight of the vehicle on the shocks and you should be able to get the nut started and tighten it down. It is an exact fit pretty much with just a few threaded going past the nylock.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Brad
Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Lol that's the point of Nylock, bro, you basically mold the inner plastic to the threads. That way it "locks" itself in place. Just don't over torque it.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
DaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant future

Name: David
DaveEli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
Lol that's the point of Nylock, bro, you basically mold the inner plastic to the threads. That way it "locks" itself in place. Just don't over torque it.

I understand about nylocks. But the nut won't even go on a half a turn, it barely starts. It acts like the wrong thread pitch. If I force it on it will ruin the threads. I am going to fastenal in the morning to hopefully get the right nuts.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Look Inside the nut...it should be mostly plastic coating in the inside...look at the threads themselves, if you see any that are burred at all, or bent in the slightest, or blunted..threads should be sharp looking all the way around. Check the head of the shock bolt as well. You may have the wrong thread spacing on the nut. I haven't used a nylock for a while, can't remember if the nylock is all the way through the nut or half way.

Is this the nylock nut that came with the shock? Or one that was on your stock shocks?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Ok yea just looked at one...check all the threads for anything burred. That would be my first guess, it's super easy to cross thread something and mess up the first thread...after that I'd check thread spacing.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
I'd try them all, interchange them a little bit...if none of them work, take both shocks to Autozone or Home Depot...they have a thread tester board that'll tell you what size thread and bolt the shocks have, then you just find a new nylock/nut to put on your new shocks!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #13
Direct Representative
ICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant future

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveEli View Post
I work close to a Fastenal shop, I will get it taken care of tomorrow. Let you know what I find.
DaveEli give me a call this morning, 951-689-4266 8-5 pacific

We will get it sorted out and get you taken care of right away.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
DaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant futureDaveEli has a brilliant future

DaveEli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICONRep View Post
DaveEli give me a call this morning, 951-689-4266 8-5 pacific

We will get it sorted out and get you taken care of right away.

Thanks, but I got it straight. Neil at Downsouth Motorsports called you guys today. He was told either for me to get a new pair of shocks, or to try to tighten the nuts on the shocks. Evidently some of the nuts on your shocks were tight also. I tightened the nuts down and that did the trick. Everything is great now. I was afraid to do it on my own and risk ruining the threads.
I did go to fastenal today and the bolts they had didn't go on either. Strange.
Thanks very much for the great service at Downsouth Motorsports and at Icon.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Hmm weird...did the top of the bolts on the shocks look cross threaded at all?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #16

DaveEli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
Hmm weird...did the top of the bolts on the shocks look cross threaded at all?
Everything looked perfect. The nuts were just tight. When I tightened them down it was tough for the first couple of turns but then they loosened up. Now I can put them on by hand until they hit the nylon, like it should be. Every thing is good now. Thanks everyone for your help. Downsouth Motorsports and Icon have great customer service.