Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ICON Vehicle Dynamics

Notices

Shock Question

Old 09-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
adriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: USMC
Name: Adrian
adriancast's Tacoma Gallery
Shock Question

Is this normal?

Here you can actually hear the noise what I think is going on because of the passenger coilover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIwbdAxK8t4

I did the same thing during the day, but did not hear any noise. That usually doesn't happen. (the video is the same as the night video, but i did it during the day so you can see the speed I was going)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1zuv28UuKk
Old 09-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure that's cool. That a pivot spot I believe
Old 09-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
rogerkamp8817 is on a distinguished road

Name: Roger
rogerkamp8817's Tacoma Gallery
There are two spacers that are used where the lower part of the shock mounts to the lower control arm. The two spacers are different thicknesses: 1 long and 1 short. The longer (thicker) spacer should be on the side closer to the front of the vehicle on both front shocks. This is what the instructions say that comes with the coilovers when you purchase them. This pushes the shock back and gives more clearance for the sway bar and the tie rod.

As for the "cup" with the opening, I don't think it matters which side it faces. On mine, one side faces the front and the other side faces the rear. What is important is that the charge port near the top of the coilover is facing out.

Hopefully that helps. This is my understanding of how it should be, but I would contact Icon to confirm.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
rogerkamp8817 is on a distinguished road

Name: Roger
rogerkamp8817's Tacoma Gallery
the shocks should be pushed back on both the driver's and passenger's side. this is done by placing the longer spacer towards the front of the vehicle and the thinner spacer towards the rear.

based on your picture and your caption in that picture, the shock on the driver's side looks pushed forward, which is the opposite of what you want.

this is the picture i'm referring to.

which side is the noise coming from?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
adriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkamp8817 View Post
the shocks should be pushed back on both the driver's and passenger's side. this is done by placing the longer spacer towards the front of the vehicle and the thinner spacer towards the rear.

based on your picture and your caption in that picture, the shock on the driver's side looks pushed forward, which is the opposite of what you want.

this is the picture i'm referring to.

which side is the noise coming from?
How do I push it back?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Your passenger side is pushed back because the spherical bearing spacers are on wrong. If you separate the lower shock mount from the lower control arm and pop out both spacers and swap them from either side, you'll be good to go. I'm sure you know this but each side (passenger/driver) has two different length spacers. Make sense?
Old 09-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
Your passenger side is pushed back because the spherical bearing spacers are on wrong. If you separate the lower shock mount from the lower control arm and pop out both spacers and swap them from either side, you'll be good to go. I'm sure you know this but each side (passenger/driver) has two different length spacers. Make sense?
Ok. Thanks.