Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ICON Vehicle Dynamics

Notices

Potential issue?

Old 05-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #22
Strike Planner
squint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Rick
squint0241's Tacoma Gallery
Roger, I realized a made my comment based on your first LCA vid, but it really seemed plausible. Even the second vid, which is short and not as well lighted seemed to have the sound originating from the LCA pivot. Can you take a better lighted vid focused on the LCA pivot and see if there is some play and noise being generated there? It would be nice to weigh that factor out of the equation, but that might be the culprit??
Old 05-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #23
rogerkamp8817 is on a distinguished road

Name: Roger
rogerkamp8817's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all the responses. work has been keeping me busy.

i thought the same thing about the noise coming from the lower control arm pivot (alignment bolts). I thought the bushings were bad. instead of replacing the bushings, which didn't look very easy, i went ahead and replaced the entire lower control arm.

i called Brad with Icon and he's been very eager to help. I appreciate the great service!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #25

thanks. here are some pics of the replacement lower control arm
Attached Thumbnails
Potential issue?-6.jpg   Potential issue?-3.jpg   Potential issue?-4.jpg   Potential issue?-8.jpg  
Old 05-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #27
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
My bad, I previously referred to them as TC LCAs, never seen pics of the DKs up close.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #29

i have not figured it out yet. i'll keep you guys posted on how things turn out.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #30
Bayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bayou Sultan's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Roger, been awhile I asked you a question about your UCA's toward the end of last year and I thank you for the answer. I did go with the Dirt King lower and upper control arms and other than having a shorter turning radius I love the whole set up the feel of the combonation is amazing feels like I driving a sports car rather than a lifted truck. I have not had any problems with the D/K's or the Icon's although I have the extended travel no Resi's. Anyway I hope you find the problem and it's nothing critical, I had my uppers and lowers installed by OutlawOffroad in Anahiem. Good Luck to you Roger.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #31

Thanks!

I've been in contact with Icon. They've been very helpful. I'm trying to find time to get the shocks off my truck. I'll be sure to report back with what I find.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #32
Strike Planner
squint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkamp8817 View Post
Thanks!

I've been in contact with Icon. They've been very helpful. I'm trying to find time to get the shocks off my truck. I'll be sure to report back with what I find.
Hope the new shock solves it! ICON has been amazing! I had a bad shock that started rusting and they sent me a new one, no questions asked! They sent me a new one in the mail and it was the one w/o the CDC valve, but I had to put it on, since the rusted one was being sent back. Now they are sending me the one I originally bought with the CDC...again...no problem. Talk about someone standing behind their products!!

Good Luck with yours!
Old 05-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #33

The noise is no longer there!

I upgraded to reservoirs with CDC. The compression control definitely makes a big difference. My on-road ride quality has improved, specifically on pavement in poor condition or freeways with concrete panels. The truck reacts to them in a much more controlled manner now

I'm going to send the old shocks to Icon to get them to take a look at them. They've been nothing but great with helping me out with the upgrades and communicating with me. I'm very pleased with their service.

The old shocks will likely be put up for sale after Icon looks at them.
Attached Thumbnails
Potential issue?-1.jpg   Potential issue?-2.jpg   Potential issue?-3.jpg  
Old 05-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #34
Strike Planner

Marines:
Quote:
The noise is no longer there!

I upgraded to reservoirs with CDC. The compression control definitely makes a big difference. My on-road ride quality has improved, specifically on pavement in poor condition or freeways with concrete panels. The truck reacts to them in a much more controlled manner now

I'm going to send the old shocks to Icon to get them to take a look at them. They've been nothing but great with helping me out with the upgrades and communicating with me. I'm very pleased with their service.

The old shocks will likely be put up for sale after Icon looks at them.
Outfuckingstanding!!!
Old 05-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #35

I was planning on getting an alignment done; however, with the new shocks, the truck drives like it is still aligned. Steering wheel is straight. The final height from ground to fender is only about half an inch different, at most. The springs are probably still settling. Should I get it realigned just to be safe or is it a waste of money? Truck drives straight as an arrow on the freeway still.

Now I need to start thinking about my rear suspension. I'm currently running the factory 3 leaf + TSB with Bilstein 5100's. I'm not sure which direction I should go with it...

1) Replace the entire leaf pack and go with the Icon 2.5 in CDC's
2) Replace the leaf pack and get a shock hoop installed to use longer shocks.
3) Convert to spring-under, replace leaf pack (given), install shock hoops, and go with longer shocks.

I don't want to run an add-a-leaf or cut into the bed. I'm leaning towards the second option right now.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #36
Strike Planner

Marines:
Quote:
I was planning on getting an alignment done; however, with the new shocks, the truck drives like it is still aligned. Steering wheel is straight. The final height from ground to fender is only about half an inch different, at most. The springs are probably still settling. Should I get it realigned just to be safe or is it a waste of money? Truck drives straight as an arrow on the freeway still.

Now I need to start thinking about my rear suspension. I'm currently running the factory 3 leaf + TSB with Bilstein 5100's. I'm not sure which direction I should go with it...

1) Replace the entire leaf pack and go with the Icon 2.5 in CDC's
2) Replace the leaf pack and get a shock hoop installed to use longer shocks.
3) Convert to spring-under, replace leaf pack (given), install shock hoops, and go with longer shocks.

I don't want to run an add-a-leaf or cut into the bed. I'm leaning towards the second option right now.
Get it aligned!! It's a small price to pay for having tires wearing prematurely
Old 06-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #37
Bayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBayou Sultan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hey Roger, I'm glad to see you got it fixed, how do you like your lower control arms, when I had them installed I was very pleased and it still drives like a sports car even with 35" trail grapps. I am thinking of going with the CDC's do you have them on just the front or the rear to.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #38

the lower control arms are great. very beefy. the uniballs are tight, but it sounds like that is typical when you upgrade to any kind of uniball control arms.

i only have the CDC's on the front for now.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #39
Thank's Roger, you have a damn nice setup I like the way it looks in your well nice job man.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #40

I sent these shocks into Icon for service (under warranty). They've been very helpful and assisted me with the whole process.

They check the shocks for nitrogen and oil levels, took it apart, and didn't find any issues.

I'm thinking it was something else with my suspension that was making the noise. While reinstalling the new pair of shocks, I was extra diligent with taking my time, torqueing everything, and applying grease where needed. I'm thinking it could have been the UCA bolt where the UCA connects to the shock tower. I went heavy on the grease where the UCA bolt goes through the shock tower. I feel that even though I greased the UCA zerks, the grease couldn't really get into the shock tower where it was needed. I don't really know for sure...

Anyways, I like to thank Icon for their support and service. They've been great and went above and beyond to help me out. I highly recommend them.