Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ICON Vehicle Dynamics

Notices

Potential issue?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
rogerkamp8817 is on a distinguished road

Name: Roger
rogerkamp8817's Tacoma Gallery
Potential issue?

My suspension is making a clunking / popping noise. Could it be the Icon coilovers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YulE6U64yKU
Old 04-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #2

I've retorqued the upper shock mount bolts, lower shock mount bolts, removed the sway bar completely, checked my wheel bearings, greased upper and lower control arm bushings. I've also gone as far as replacing the lower control arm completely with an aftermarket control arm.

The noise is still there. Could it be the shocks themselves making this noise?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgPSKZGHgKA
Old 05-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
Strike Planner
squint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Rick
squint0241's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkamp8817 View Post
I've retorqued the upper shock mount bolts, lower shock mount bolts, removed the sway bar completely, checked my wheel bearings, greased upper and lower control arm bushings. I've also gone as far as replacing the lower control arm completely with an aftermarket control arm.

The noise is still there. Could it be the shocks themselves making this noise?

Thanks
Roger...I have an ICON setup as well and I hear a noise when I go over bumps. Even though you have greased the UCA's, I think as they pivot up and down because of the urethane bushings they make a noise. I have a buddy with Fox coil-overs and he has to grease his UCA bushings on a monthly basis to minimize the noise. They are compressed fairly tight and I believe that might be the culprit. Not to say that anything is wrong...but it might just be a normalcy with our type of setup. Just my 2 cents... Great camera angles btw. Perhaps you should try to mount your camera focused up by the UCA bushings and see if it can be better detected visually and audible wise...
Old 05-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the response. It is reassuring to hear that the noise might be normal.

I did take a shot of the UCA. Here is the video that I recorded. You can see that the sway bar is removed completely in this shot as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o48LwujwsY
Old 05-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Strike Planner
squint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquint0241 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Thanks for the response. It is reassuring to hear that the noise might be normal.

I did take a shot of the UCA. Here is the video that I recorded. You can see that the sway bar is removed completely in this shot as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o48LwujwsY
I might try and mount my GoPro under the wheel well also and see if I can replicate it. What type of mount did you use? I have the suction mount, but no clamp mount right now. I might need to acquire one though I'll post a vid once I get a shot and figure out the best mount points..
Old 05-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #6

I used one of those sticky-tape mounts. Here is where I put it. I cleaned off the surface with a rag and just pressed it on as hard as I could. It feels really secure but still little scary thinking about my GoPro falling off and getting ran over.
Attached Thumbnails
Potential issue?-2014-05-03-15.15.05.jpg  
Old 05-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #8

That looks like a good angle! I'm looking forward to seeing how your video / sound turns out.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #12

Thanks for the video. I hear some similarities, but the popping/clunking noise sounds much louder with my truck.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #14
Direct Representative
ICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant future

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Roger,

Have you called us yet and spoken to anyone here? We would be happy to take a look at the shocks and see if it is a culprit. One thing you can check prior to removal is the nitrogen level. Make sure the shocks are charged (and holding a charge) at 250psi.

Feel free to give me a call at 951-689-4266

Brad
Old 05-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #15
Im not like the other Crumbs, Im my own Crumb
NEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud of

Name: JAKE
NEWBIETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICONRep View Post
Roger,

Have you called us yet and spoken to anyone here? We would be happy to take a look at the shocks and see if it is a culprit. One thing you can check prior to removal is the nitrogen level. Make sure the shocks are charged (and holding a charge) at 250psi.

Brad
He doesnt seem upset he was just asking about the noise, and a ICONREP sees the thread and just to make sure it want their fault they offer help without being notified of anything. This is why I love ICON and will buy them again and again. Yall are great guys up there thanks for helping me when ive needed it and offering help for others.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICONRep View Post
Roger,

Brad
Hi Brad,

Thanks for the response. Do you know if any shops around Huntington Beach that can check the nitrogen pressure? Additionally, can they fill it up to 250 psi without removing the shocks from the truck? Can I just purchase the nitrogen charge port device and have like a welding shop with nitrogen fill it up for me? Can I drive my truck to your shop to get them filled without removing the shock?

This is my only vehicle so I'm trying to find ways to make this work.

Thanks,

Roger
Old 05-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #17
Strike Planner

Marines:
Roger after watching the video several times It appears that there might be some play in the bolt that's holding your LCA. If you watch the first video closely, focus on the Lower part of the picture where the bolt it (31 sec's in). There's a large washer directly inline with the bolt that is moving back and forth (moving towards the front and then towards the rear. It looks loose! I hope I am wrong, but it's an observation. It's 31 seconds in to the first video you posted. Looks like there's a gap moving back and forth as you turn the wheel that may be coming in contact with something causing the noise.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #19
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, that looked like the LCA pivot was moving around a lot in that first vid, but he also replaced the entire LCA with a Total Chaos LCA, with poly bushings in the 2nd vid.
But it did look like the clunking sound coincided with the LCA bolt moving around.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #20
Direct Representative
ICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant future

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hi Brad,

Thanks for the response. Do you know if any shops around Huntington Beach that can check the nitrogen pressure? Additionally, can they fill it up to 250 psi without removing the shocks from the truck? Can I just purchase the nitrogen charge port device and have like a welding shop with nitrogen fill it up for me? Can I drive my truck to your shop to get them filled without removing the shock?

This is my only vehicle so I'm trying to find ways to make this work.

Thanks,

Roger
You have remote reservoir coilovers and they do not have a charge port like the non res versions. Yours have a standard schrader (just like a tire) that almost anyone can fill. You can come by our shop and we will do it for you and also fluid check them. Just give me a call if that is what you decide to do.