1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Setup Questions

Discussion in 'ICON Vehicle Dynamics' started by Spatial K, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Nov 24, 2014 at 9:35 AM
    Spatial K

Spatial K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD/OR 4x4 V6 MT
    TRD Quickshifter, Icon Ext Travel Front and Rear / Camburg BJ UCAs, OME Dakars, TRD Faux Beadlock Wheels, BFG AT KO2 285/75
    I am looking to buy a stage 1 kit with UCAs for my '15 Tacoma. Im looking to run 2.5-3'' of lift. Im on the fence about ball vs uniball for my purposes. I cant find anything that says how much articulation is lost using the ball joint over the uniball option. So here are my questions:

1. If using an aftermarket ball joint style UCA like Camburg, do you still get the benefits of the ext travel option on the coil overs?
    2.If running OME Dakars, do you need something different than Icons's standard rear shock to accommodate the added height of the leaf pack?

2. Nov 24, 2014 at 9:38 AM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff

1. Any ball joint UCA will give you the extra travel of the extended travel coilovers. I have the ICON uniball tubular ucas and I love them.

2. The standard shock will work with the dakars but it would be better to get an extended travel rear shock from Icon.

3. Nov 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    Spatial K

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD/OR 4x4 V6 MT
    TRD Quickshifter, Icon Ext Travel Front and Rear / Camburg BJ UCAs, OME Dakars, TRD Faux Beadlock Wheels, BFG AT KO2 285/75
    That answers question 2, thanks. As far as the UCAs, I think the uniballs may be overkill for what i need. I was hoping someone could give me some quantifiable differences.

4. Nov 24, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Uniball > ball joint any day.

More travel and strength than ball joints.

5. Nov 24, 2014 at 12:57 PM
    Spatial K

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD/OR 4x4 V6 MT
    Really? Citation? I have decided not to go LR because of the failure rate. I dont want to get into a debate about it but to me, Camburg/Moog is a safer way to go.

Yes, ive read this exact vague quote hundreds of times. I understand that at the end of the day, uniball is mechanically superior, however, I may not need the added strength and travel over ball joint style. But that's what im trying to find out. What is the actual difference in articulation?

For example, It is said that adding uni-ball UCAs will give you an added inch of droop. Well, by that logic, wouldn't an aftermarket ball joint UCA be similar but perhaps slightly less as it doesn't quite allow the same amount of movement?

6. Nov 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Yes. Similar but slightly less.
    And you should be fine with ext travel c/o's.

I was running fox ext c/o's with stock UCA's. Yes I killed my ball joints in the process but it worked, the wheeling that I do eventually killed them though.

From what I know, after market UCA with ball joints have the added strength and any after market arm would have in the arm itself just less articulation.

Products Discussed in

To Top