1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ICON Lift Results

Discussion in 'ICON Vehicle Dynamics' started by Ndrorder, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Jan 19, 2015 at 8:26 PM
    Ndrorder

Ndrorder [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    B. Red TRD Sport
    None --- yet!
    I recently lifted my 2011 DCLB Tacoma Sport with primarily ICON products. At 100000 miles, the stock springs were sagging and the shocks were showing their age.

These are the results to help others when selecting lift products. The primary goal of the lift was to add 1.5 to 2 inches without sacrificing on road comfort but handle washboard desert and rocky mountain roads smoother.

Front: ICON 2.5 CO's with CDC installed. Selected the CDC because it allows less compression dampening compared to the standard ICON CO's. Also added Lite Racing UCA's at the same time.

Rear: ICON 2.5 CO's with CDC installed (same reasons). ICON 3 leaf progressive add a leaf. Replaced stock springs with Toyota TSB springs. I originally purchased some less expensive replacement springs but wasn't impressed with the quality and returned them.

Results: Front lift is 1 3/8" (without adjusting the CO's) and the rear lifted 1 3/4". Overall, the ride is more compliant. Speed bumps that would rattle the truck before at 10 mph can now be crossed at 25 - 30 mph very smoothly. Front compression is set at 4 and the rear at 3. Out in the desert, the washboard is hardly noticeable at the same settings. Will test the other settings later and expect to reduce the front setting a little.

The front shocks were advertised with a factory setting to result in 2" of lift. Possibly the extra weight of the supercharger affected the amount of lift.

-Cliff

Hairy Taco likes this.
  2. Jan 20, 2015 at 10:46 AM
    icon_rep

icon_rep ICON Vehicle Dynamics Vendor

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Cliff good info man!

Just some notes.....we advertise these as 2" out of the box but everyone must be aware that is subjective to how it came out of the factory. Every vehicle comes off the line different which is why the adjust-ability of these shocks is great. Added weight over stock will always play a part as well.

Also on the CDC setting 3-4 is basically our off the shelf standard valving so it would appear so far you like it just as we do. The CDC def offers the diversity to fine tune the ride for those that have a different opinion.

Good stuff though, post a picture of it when you get a chance!

Brad

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  3. Feb 27, 2015 at 9:06 AM
    DMagoo147

DMagoo147 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    MA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OffRoad A/C
    CBI off road fab sliders with kickout, K&N performance air filter, BriteAssLED headlight bulbs, Delta Pro tool box, 20% window tints in front, 20% window tints added onto rear windows. Lou's Custom Exhaust: SS pipes and dual tip. LED backup lights. Prevent tailgate theft mod. Plastidip stock wheels, lower valence rear bumper and grill. bedside bottle opener. RAM-X phone mount. GTA car kits iphone/aux adapter.
    :worthless:

Maybe not worthless, but I am very interested to see how it came out

4. Feb 27, 2015 at 9:09 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    What is CDC

5. Feb 27, 2015 at 9:19 AM
    2012SilverSport

2012SilverSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver TRD Sport Double Cab
    CS Jumpers LED's throughout the cab and marker/DTRL's weather techs/seat covers. Head unit Pioneer AVHX5500BHS, Speakers, Front, Polk Audio DXi 6500 component, rear Polk Audio DXi 650s Subwoofer Sound Ordinance B-8PS, Amplifier Alpine KTP 445U. Front ICON extended travel 2.5 remote resi, Camburg UCA's. Rear ICON 2.0 remote res rear. Wheelers 3 leaf HD progressive AAL,
    Compression Damping Control

[​IMG]

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  6. Feb 27, 2015 at 9:21 AM
    icon_rep

Member:
    Riverside, CA
  7. Feb 27, 2015 at 9:22 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Oh mine is going to be a mall crawler with top-notch components so I guess I don't need that

TXpro4X4 and kevinlambchops like this.
  8. Feb 27, 2015 at 9:25 AM
    icon_rep

Member:
    Riverside, CA

Street driven or off road it still offers you the consumer the ability to dial in the ride to your liking. And considering it is a truck some load down the back which then would require a more from the shock and you can bump up the compression valving so it does not push through the shock travel to fast due to the extra weight.

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  9. Feb 27, 2015 at 10:10 AM
    Hanswdeuce

Hanswdeuce Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sk 16 TRD Off Road 4X4
    Wheels: Bronze SCS Stealth 6 Tires: Falcon Wildpeaks Suspension: King 3.0, Icon RXT leaf pack set at 2 Waiting on RSI Smart Cap EVO
    1 being stiffest compression and 10 being loose compression?

10. Feb 27, 2015 at 10:17 AM
    icon_rep

Member:
    Riverside, CA

S = soft 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 H= hard

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  11. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:42 AM
    sixspeedlife

sixspeedlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Braden
    MB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OFFROAD Six speed
    Leveled, BHLM, Black mesh grill, black skid plate
    Awesome info! I'm currently looking to gain the same benefits as the OP and was wondering how easy it is to adjust these CO's?

12. Feb 27, 2015 at 5:48 PM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    CS Jumpers LED's throughout the cab and marker/DTRL's weather techs/seat covers. Head unit Pioneer AVHX5500BHS, Speakers, Front, Polk Audio DXi 6500 component, rear Polk Audio DXi 650s Subwoofer Sound Ordinance B-8PS, Amplifier Alpine KTP 445U. Front ICON extended travel 2.5 remote resi, Camburg UCA's. Rear ICON 2.0 remote res rear. Wheelers 3 leaf HD progressive AAL,
    Looks like it would be super easy. Might have to look at adding them to mine when I have them rebuilt. As for now the standard ext travels are doing me great!!

13. Feb 27, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    Effenglide

Effenglide Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Effen
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCLB
    Here we go again!
    OP What size tires are you running? Some pics would be nice!

14. Mar 1, 2015 at 8:27 AM
    Ndrorder

Ndrorder [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    B. Red TRD Sport
    None --- yet!
    Didn't expect all this interest. I damaged a shock while adjusting the ride height to get the full 2 inches and correct for tacoma lean. It is in to Icon for repair now. Look for a followup (with pics) as soon as it all gets worked out.

I went with Lite Racing UCA's and didn't realize the difficulty the local alignment shop would have. The truck drove like a truck after alignment. When removing the coilovers for the repair, I found that the passenger side UCA camber adjustment was positioned furthest outboard of the truck and the driver side positioned furthest inboard. Effectively, the front 'axle' has been shifted an inch to the right. The shift is confirmed in the rear axle measurements.

The compression adjustors are easy to access and turn. It can be adjusted from sloppy soft to firm and aggressive. As mentioned earlier, when empty I prefer the 3 or 4 setting. With a bed full of dirt, it takes a 7 to reduce body roll.

Cliff

15. Mar 1, 2015 at 9:17 AM
    sixspeedlife

sixspeedlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Braden
    MB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OFFROAD Six speed
    Leveled, BHLM, Black mesh grill, black skid plate
    Is there a better UCA out there that would be easier to get a proper alignment?

16. Mar 1, 2015 at 1:59 PM
    Hanswdeuce

Hanswdeuce Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sk 16 TRD Off Road 4X4
    Wheels: Bronze SCS Stealth 6 Tires: Falcon Wildpeaks Suspension: King 3.0, Icon RXT leaf pack set at 2 Waiting on RSI Smart Cap EVO
    I just got the icon tubular UCA with the icon stage three kit and had no problem with the alignment.

17. Mar 7, 2015 at 2:02 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    I'm running an Icon stage 4. Can you retro the CDC?

Also, I have a 1" Toytec diff drop and carrier bearing drop. I have more than 2" of threads showing above the top ring to make my truck level with my Dakar leaf springs. Toyota of Dallas installed the entire set-up. I keep seeing people talk about more than 2" being bad. Is this true. The instructions sure don't say that.

18. Mar 7, 2015 at 4:20 PM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    My extended travels recommended not going further than 2" threads showing on the shaft above the adjustment collar because it could exceed 3" of lift and cause damage to the CV joints/boots. I will have to see if I still have the card.

19. Mar 7, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    I found my instructions on line and they said not more than 2" unless you had different UCA's. I have the billet Icons. Unless I'm reading this wrong.

"The coil spring adjuster has been preloaded at the factory to net approximately 2 inches of lift. However the ride height is adjustable using a spanner wrench. To adjust ride, height raise vehicle off the ground and support with jack stands; loosen set screw in adjuster ring and turn ring down for more lift, or up for less lift. Do not exceed 2” of exposed thread between shock top cap and adjuster ring!! Retighten set screw, but do not over tighten or damage to the threads will occur! Although up to 3.5” of lift is attainable from this coil-over, it is not recommended to go over 2.5” due to alignment limitation of the stock A-arms. The addition of an aftermarket A-arm will allow proper alignment at higher lift heights."

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  20. Mar 7, 2015 at 4:48 PM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    Lol, Yup that is what mine says also, I was just going to let you know. Guess I missed the part that said "with stock UCA's" when I was installing mine.

Products Discussed in

To Top