Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   ICON Vehicle Dynamics (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/icon-vehicle-dynamics/)
-   -   To TSB Or not? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/icon-vehicle-dynamics/252122-tsb-not.html)

KiltedRonin 12-06-2012 04:47 PM

To TSB Or not?
 
So, I'm having problems getting the rear leaf springs tsb by any of the local dealers, I have a cap and platform and tools in the back of my rig, and I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and install the ICON AAL on the non tsb springs, or should I wait till I can get the tsb done? I've basically got the icon stage 4 sitting here, with the billet arm subbed out for the tubular arm and the rear shocks switched for the new 2.5's and I don't want to install yet with the non tsb rear leafs. What's the height difference going to be? I'm already planning on leaving the factory overload spring in, I just don't want my truck to be stink bugging once I have the road ride height high enough for the 255/85's

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Mitch 12-06-2012 05:28 PM

I think if you install the Icon AAL with the Non TSB you might be 0.5" shorter then you would be if you ran the AAL with the TSB done.

That is my non professional, running the Icon AAL with non TSB rear opinion

KiltedRonin 12-06-2012 05:59 PM

My worry is how much I have loaded on my truck on a regular basis. Tween the cap, the plate rear bumper, the plywood sleeping platform and tools in the back. How much more than .5 inches lower will I actually be.

Damn my local dealers!

Tacoma Mike 12-06-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiltedRonin (Post 6095666)
So, I'm having problems getting the rear leaf springs tsb by any of the local dealers, I have a cap and platform and tools in the back of my rig, and I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and install the ICON AAL on the non tsb springs, or should I wait till I can get the tsb done? I've basically got the icon stage 4 sitting here, with the billet arm subbed out for the tubular arm and the rear shocks switched for the new 2.5's and I don't want to install yet with the non tsb rear leafs. What's the height difference going to be? I'm already planning on leaving the factory overload spring in, I just don't want my truck to be stink bugging once I have the road ride height high enough for the 255/85's

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

It's a tsb. You have a 2011. Your complaining.
There is NOTHING in the tsb that says you have to PROVE the issue. Only complain about a harsh ride.

I've done a number of these including a couple of 2011's.
If they won't do it just tell them your going to call toyota.
It can't be anymore simple than this.

For the life of me I can't understand the actions of these other dealers.
Customers complain about a harsh ride.
We order parts
We install parts.
End of story.

oldracer 12-06-2012 06:35 PM

I didn't get the TSB done, as my truck was out of warranty; Oh, I tried to get the TSB done and they finally caved, sort of. But I would have cost me more money to get the TSB springs and they had to put them on; than it cost me to have a set of springs made by a spring shop. Laurel Toyota in Johnstown, PA, tried to screw me over on the labor cost, it was ridiculous. Thank's Shirley, you lost a customer with that move.

Anyway, I saw the TSB springs installed on another truck; so I had a set of springs made, long leafs too; actually cheaper than Laurel wanted to just install the factory TSB springs.

My recommendation is to find a local spring shop that actually makes their own leafs, to do an inspection of your truck and the load you carry ; and then have then build a set of springs to suit your needs.

KiltedRonin 12-06-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike (Post 6096204)
It's a tsb. You have a 2011. Your complaining.
There is NOTHING in the tsb that says you have to PROVE the issue. Only complain about a harsh ride.

I've done a number of these including a couple of 2011's.
If they won't do it just tell them your going to call toyota.
It can't be anymore simple than this.

For the life of me I can't understand the actions of these other dealers.
Customers complain about a harsh ride.
We order parts
We install parts.
End of story.

I tried that. they tell me i need to bring it in for them to see it, I tell them that the ride is rough and I feel my truck hitting the bump stops when I am loaded. its not like I can come up with another 500 pounds of steel (all my bumpers and shit last week) to throw in there.

I have a friend that is a tech at a dealer, its a bit far from me, but I am gonna try calling him tomorrow and see if there is a guy there he can point me towards to get this shit done.

thanks for your input! seriously, I am not trying to be a jackass. thanks :)

oldracer 12-06-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike (Post 6096204)
It's a tsb. You have a 2011. Your complaining.
There is NOTHING in the tsb that says you have to PROVE the issue. Only complain about a harsh ride.

I've done a number of these including a couple of 2011's.
If they won't do it just tell them your going to call toyota.
It can't be anymore simple than this.

For the life of me I can't understand the actions of these other dealers.
Customers complain about a harsh ride.
We order parts
We install parts.
End of story.

Mike, I wish I had gone to your dealership.

I am living proof, that some dealers do not do business like your dealer ship does. Laurel Toyota in Johnstown, and service manager Shirley, was my contact; who screwed me around; on the amount she wanted for labor to install the factory springs. Oh, Yes, I was out of warranty by time but not miles.

You can search my earlier posts on this issue, going back a year or so from this date.

KiltedRonin 12-07-2012 02:47 PM

So, springs should be at the dealer waiting on me by Tuesday. They bad to make sure I knew that the tsb springs may not help the ride because of how much weight I have back there already. Lol.. my tech buddy explained to them that I just wanted to make sure I had that extra half inch of lift so I won't be stink bugging once I add the AAL. So they're just making a note on the back of the ticket saying they've informed me...

Thanks for the hell guys.

KiltedRonin 12-07-2012 02:47 PM

Help*

Tacoma Mike 12-07-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldracer (Post 6096334)
Mike, I wish I had gone to your dealership.

I am living proof, that some dealers do not do business like your dealer ship does. Laurel Toyota in Johnstown, and service manager Shirley, was my contact; who screwed me around; on the amount she wanted for labor to install the factory springs. Oh, Yes, I was out of warranty by time but not miles.

You can search my earlier posts on this issue, going back a year or so from this date.

I am sorry you had all sorts of problems. I don't know what your whole situation was but they should have helped you out a little weather reduced parts or you labor and them parts.
I'm going to give you a little insite if you want to know.

If you are a dedicated customer and bring your vehicle in for it's maintenance and issues and are faithful to us, we inturn try to help you.
The company has what they call Good Will. And we work with the customer and toyota to help them in certain situations. If your an ass and only come in for warrante work and no matter what we do you never have good thing to say then anything over the time or mileage and you can stick it. We don't HAVE to do anything. I have these people come in and when we see serious issues that have been noted before and we even will give them some off on labor they say I have my own mechanic do all my work. Yea buddy he's doing a real good job of it. So basically one hand washes the other. I do a lot of little things for my customers that they might not realize but that's how I am. You throw that MY MECHANIC crap at me and all bets are off.
I've had a real bad day with a couple of these types today so I'm starting to vent a little so I apologize .
But anyway, unfortunately with the time laps and such I really don't see a solution for you through a dealer which sucks.

Kilted Ronin found someone to do it with his and I am very happy for him.

You might just have to have a party and invite a few friends over and do it yourself. Lots of that stuff going on all over the country.
I wish you well and I hope you find a way to resolve your issue.

KiltedRonin 12-13-2012 07:22 AM

Tsb done, glad I did too, even with the tsb, the icon aal's and the over load left in, I'm still just a tiny bit lower in the rear than the front, I figure I'll get tires on and see if I can drop the front just that tiny bit to level her out.

If you're in NOVA, go see Cecil (evening time service rep) and have Mike (one of the evening techs) at Miller Toyota in manassas va. They were VERY accommodating!

Pugga 12-13-2012 07:32 AM

Little late to the party but I think you definitely did the right thing as far as getting the TSB completed. I have a very similar set, a shell, plywood platform and tools in the bed. The non-TSB leafs were junk, the TSB leafs were junk so I ended up buying a new TSB leaf pack from another member who only ran it for about a month, then installed the Icon AAL into that and left the overload leaf in place. The new setup is great! I can haul and tow and stay off the bump stops! The ride is very smooth and they flex well. Installing the AAL into your old leaf pack would have been a mistake. Putting an AAL into a tired leaf pack will just wear the AAL out very quickly. Putting the AAL into a new leaf pack will dramatically increase the life of the overall setup.

Tacoma Mike 12-13-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugga (Post 6126337)
Little late to the party but I think you definitely did the right thing as far as getting the TSB completed. I have a very similar set, a shell, plywood platform and tools in the bed. The non-TSB leafs were junk, the TSB leafs were junk so I ended up buying a new TSB leaf pack from another member who only ran it for about a month, then installed the Icon AAL into that and left the overload leaf in place. The new setup is great! I can haul and tow and stay off the bump stops! The ride is very smooth and they flex well. Installing the AAL into your old leaf pack would have been a mistake. Putting an AAL into a tired leaf pack will just wear the AAL out very quickly. Putting the AAL into a new leaf pack will dramatically increase the life of the overall setup.

I actually have a 3 leaf setup in my garage. If I get so inclined I could add a few from that pack into mine. But if I go that far I'd get a different setup. Plus with the vib tsb coming out I don't want to play with it and have to reset.

Tacoma Mike 12-13-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiltedRonin (Post 6126301)
Tsb done, glad I did too, even with the tsb, the icon aal's and the over load left in, I'm still just a tiny bit lower in the rear than the front, I figure I'll get tires on and see if I can drop the front just that tiny bit to level her out.

If you're in NOVA, go see Cecil (evening time service rep) and have Mike (one of the evening techs) at Miller Toyota in manassas va. They were VERY accommodating!

Good for you. :thumbsup:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:41 PM.