1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maybe the USAF will fit me better.

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by THExBUSxDRIVER, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Jul 18, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER [OP] Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    Hey folks, I need some insight and guidance on my thinking here. I posted this question here because not much of my family has served in the armed forces, only a couple but I really dont talk to them and they would all be biased towards the Marines (nothing wrong with them but I figure I'd go a different route)

So, here it is.

I finished junior college for pharmacy tech back in Feb, the reason I decided on this course was because I had just been fired from my job and wanted to hurry up and do something else, so I jumped into pharmacy.

Ive been working as one for about 4 months now and its pretty boring, I mean its not all fast paced or anything like I was told it was. It doesnt bother me much but the boredom sure does get to me at times. You would think that it would be great to get paid to do nothing but it actually SUCKS to do nothing.

Well across the parking lot there is a military careers office and started to get myself interested in the military again, I have always wanted to fly.

I did some research and found that they had a Pharmacy tech position. I found that another plus as I'd have more experience when my service was over translating in better civilian job.

BUT, at the same time i want to join and be part of an air crew at least.

I dont want to waste my time at a boring job, especially at my age, I feel like I am not at my potential at my current job. Plus, military life looks like it would be easier for me.

I am giving this civilian life another 6-8 months before I make the decision.

Any input will be highly regarded. Thanks brothers.

And special thanks to all of our service men.

2. Jul 18, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    R*2

R*2 New Member

Member:
    I just retired after 24 years and it was a really good career. First thing are your testing results, your recruiter will try to direct you the occupations which you tested best or which occupations the Air Force is in need of due to shortages. I assume you have an associates degree as a result of your pharmacy studies, the degree will give you a couple of stripes right out of basic (beware, a little more will be expected of you as a result). Not sure how long basic training is these days, it was only 7 weeks for me way back when, but I understand alot more combat is taught. Tech school can be a little as 7 weeks or can last a year depending on the occupation you choose. I'm sure other younger guys can give you more up to date info. You're going to hear the good and the bad but just remember, your experience in the AF is what you make of it.

3. Jul 18, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    Thank you for the input, and yes I have an associates in science. Hopefully that will bump me up in something.

4. Sep 3, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    What makes you believe that military life will be easier? The Air Force, as different as it is from say the Army or Marine Corps, will still present challenges not faced in the civilian spectrum. Don't read into that as a challenge, I'm just curious because it sounds like you see military as an action packed escape from life.

5. Sep 3, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    navyrt

navyrt ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!!

Member:
    Have you thought about the Navy? We too have Pharmacy techs and planes. Take a look at the Hospital Corpsman rating/job. I have a 2 yr A.S. in Respiratory Therapy and got E3 out of boot camp. Once your done with A-school (same as tech school in the AF) you can request/challenge for the Pharmacy tech NEC (Navy Enlisted Classification). Thats what I did for the Resp Therpy NEC. We go on ships, with the Marines and lately some of us have even been deployed with Army units.

6. Sep 3, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:

Ever hear the phrase "hurry up and wait"???? The military has is moments where there is some real exctitment - but there is alot of slack time waiting and prepping for something that can't/won't/shouldn't happen - but you still prep for it either way. If joining the military is your way to put more interest into your life - ehh, go be an EMT or Paramedic. Your going to see "action" faster and on a much more regular basis. I was on a volunteer department my senior year in high school and an Infantry Marine - so I know both sides. If you just want a rush - go ride a meat wagon.

7. Sep 4, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    ^^Thank you for the insight and links.

To Top