LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Would you take a mediocre paying job in a great place to work?

Old 08-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Would you take a mediocre paying job in a great place to work?

Simple question...

After 30+ years in the home building business...and some time in real estate...

I have a job offer in a real cool environment...that pays squat.

Now, I can make it financially on the mediocre pay...and the hours are 40 weekly...I'm gonna be 51 in a week...I'm kinda semi-retired already...

I like the idea of a steady pay check (although the amount is almost comical)...and I'm still waiting on the final offer, but I believe the bennies (health insurance) alone may make it worth it...

I will have to continue to do a little real estate investing & selling on the side, just because I want to continue to build up the nest egg I currently have.

I'm a young 50 year old...with only the wife, and no kids...the good Lord has blessed us both with good health. We have almost no debt. We live a simple life. We are going to sell the home we live in that I built last year (our 10th in 25 years)...we just bought another lot to build a smaller home in a year or 2...

Basically, after running the rat race and chasing the dollar for 30+ years...I'm ready to cruise with no stress...work a little (to me, 40 hours a week is a little)...fish a little...go to the beach...read a few good books...play my guitar...knock back some cold long necks...listen to music...watch the sunsets...

And live a stress free life. You know..."Wastin' away in Margaritaville"

So, whatcha y'all think?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you've got it pretty well off, congratulations on your semi-retirement. The health insurance sounds like a good deal, but make sure you are definitely fully covered, because the last thing you want is a hefty medical bill if something may happen. If you can live without the extra cash from the job and it has good health insurance and benefits, then it sounds like a good idea. Make sure you are still saving and are not living to what you are making, as anything that may happen will put your financial state in a world of trouble. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you have the ideal situation. I have a "mediocre paying job in a great place to work". If I could stay there forever I would. But I'm still young, and I need to make my money still. Good for you for having your stuff together enough to kick back and relax at an early age.

Just remember, you could be gone tomorrow. If you can be in a great work environment instead of a crappy one, then that's what you should do I think.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you have kind of made up your mind. Sounds like the good life my man, enjoy the longnecks!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 54 and about 4 years from retirement "numbers wise" with health insurance. I have a very nice retirement account that has taken a beating over the last couple of years, (thank you "hope and change"). Even after thirty years with the company I still have to watch over my shoulder, work harder then the new blood coming in. Not easy to keep up with a 20 year old on steroids. Anyway, this same thought runs through my mind. Wal-Mart greater sounds good sometimes, no stress. I would love to stay at my job till I'm 60 and then hook up with a wedding photographer as a assistant, I would almost do that for free.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
Sounds like you have kind of made up your mind. Sounds like the good life my man, enjoy the longnecks!
Yeah...kinda. If the final offer is in line.

I guess I'm looking for encouragement from cyberspace. [yes even us old guys need it from time to time]

It's hard to think of working for a year to make what I used to make in a few months. lol

But, yes...I am fortunate to have a frugal wife and we have saved pretty well. And I am kinda worn out.

I'd hate to die in my 60's and not enjoyed the last 10 years.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it!!! It's better to enjoy life than to rake in the $$$$ I've read many stories about people trading in the rat race to go live in the wilds of alaska and LOVE IT.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
cabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Andy
cabarbhab's Tacoma Gallery
i think you have your mind made up already. i am in the military, so i know what it is like to have a mediocre paying job with good benefits. money isn't everything, that being said being broke and living in debt is no way to live. i think you know what you want to do, so do it.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Wow...you guys are awesome. Thanks

I met with them today...and I admit all along (the past 3 weeks) I was thinking "hey this would be cool"

Then today as the reality is getting closer...I'm starting to get the "ebee-gee-bees"...(a cute term for anxiety)

I also think it's a little blow to the ego. But I can get over that.

Life is a funny thing...10-15 years ago I was going through money like I was a rock star...but not really happy.

Now, we watch every dollar...clip coupons...etc...and I'm more happy than ever. I appreciate my wife more...dare say I even love her more...

I appreciate my new Tacoma more than the brand new 65 thousand dollar Corvette Convertible I had bought.

I'm back to going to church every Sunday morning...and it's one of the highlights of my week (it's a contemporary service with a great little Christian rock group...a great guitarist and his wife has an awesome voice)

OMG...I'm getting old and mellow.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #12
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Hell, I hope to wind up with what you're describing some day... I say take full advantage of it!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Well...OK

It looks like this is gonna happen. I go in Wednesday morning for orientation.

I'll spill the beans on the who-what-where after that.

Any guesses? lol
Old 08-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
LostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LostRebel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Well...OK

It looks like this is gonna happen. I go in Wednesday morning for orientation.

I'll spill the beans on the who-what-where after that.

Any guesses? lol
With your background, I'll guess Lowes or Home Depot?
Whatever you have chosen, I'm sure you'll make the best of it. Job satisfaction is oftentimes more rewarding than the pay.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
Club Soda Not Seals
Mush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mush
Mush Mouse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Simple question...

After 30+ years in the home building business...and some time in real estate...

I have a job offer in a real cool environment...that pays squat.

Now, I can make it financially on the mediocre pay...and the hours are 40 weekly...I'm gonna be 51 in a week...I'm kinda semi-retired already...

I like the idea of a steady pay check (although the amount is almost comical)...and I'm still waiting on the final offer, but I believe the bennies (health insurance) alone may make it worth it...

I will have to continue to do a little real estate investing & selling on the side, just because I want to continue to build up the nest egg I currently have.

I'm a young 50 year old...with only the wife, and no kids...the good Lord has blessed us both with good health. We have almost no debt. We live a simple life. We are going to sell the home we live in that I built last year (our 10th in 25 years)...we just bought another lot to build a smaller home in a year or 2...

Basically, after running the rat race and chasing the dollar for 30+ years...I'm ready to cruise with no stress...work a little (to me, 40 hours a week is a little)...fish a little...go to the beach...read a few good books...play my guitar...knock back some cold long necks...listen to music...watch the sunsets...

And live a stress free life. You know..."Wastin' away in Margaritaville"

So, whatcha y'all think?
Wow your life seems similar to mine except Im not quite 50 yet but I lost my job in Construction(Ratrace) and have also been chasing dollars my whole life,I too want to get an enjoyable career even if the money wasnt what I made in the boom time construction. Im looking for job security and health and dental benefits,Ive found out its a really tough job market for any decent job right now and doesnt seem like itll get better till Obamas out and the Republicans get back in power which will be soon. I say take the job if it fits keep it if not you always can go back doing what you did before. Im presently looking at Federal Government positions if I can match up my experience to something there.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostRebel View Post
With your background, I'll guess Lowes or Home Depot?
Whatever you have chosen, I'm sure you'll make the best of it. Job satisfaction is oftentimes more rewarding than the pay.
Thought about those 2. There is a newer HD here and a brand new Lowes to be built here soon, I hear.

But this is something more fun...and a destination environment.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #17
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TioTaco View Post
I once had a job that I LOVED . . . when computer controled equipment was just getting started, it didn't pay diddle-do so I moved to another job . ...but I had kids at the time who needed to be clothed and feed and a roof over their little monster heads. As soon as they left home, I positioned myself for an early retirement. Took it young enough to enjoy. LIVE LIFE FOR NOW and enjoy, good health dwindles with age and life's little runway does NOT go for ever, my friend, take off as soon as you catch wind speed before you run off the end of the runway. GOOD LUCK.
Thanks Tio...I value your opinion.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I say go for it as long as you can swing it financially. I had a job I loved that didn't pay that great and thought I made a good decision when I took a great paying job for a huge company. Unfortunately the new job kind of sucks and I'd give anything to go back. Pay cut and all! Good luck to you!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #19
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thought about those 2. There is a newer HD here and a brand new Lowes to be built here soon, I hear.

But this is something more fun...and a destination environment.
Mickey Mouse at Disneyworld ?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #20
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
DO YOU LIKE THE PEOPLE YOU WILL BE WORKING WITH?

I have found this always matters more than compensation or work duties. Good co-workers can make a mediocre job a pleasure, and pain in the ass co-workers can make a good job hell.