1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need some help. Big job interview tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by cbcs1987, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Oct 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 [OP] Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    I have a job interview tomorrow for a sales floor position at a Target Store. I've been told I will be taking a job related "final assessment" and have two interviews. I'm sure I will be asked questions about what I would do in certain sales related situations. I have NEVER worked in retail or sales at all. Are there any key points or tips yall have for me? I really need to get this job. Any help or information is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Oct 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Honestly, I'm guessing the types of things they're going to ask you you'll either get right or wrong based on your personality. I'm guessing you do well with people otherwise you wouldn't be going into a sales interview. Hopefully you're good with ethics also. I don't think it's anything you can be taught, you either have it or you don't. Good luck with the interviews!

3. Oct 18, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Customer service is #1 priorty.

4. Oct 18, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Target refers to all customers as "guests". They are successful as a retailer due to their customer service standards and maintaining an "in-stock" position - meaning their shelves are always full.
    Bottom line - be honest & willing to learn. If you do not know an answer don't try to fudge it!
    There are two rules to always remember in retail:
    1. The customer is always right.
    2. When a customer is wrong - refer to rule #1.
    :D

5. Oct 18, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    Bullzi511Tacoma06

Bullzi511Tacoma06 KCCO

Member:
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Doublecab SR5
    First, good luck. Second, these guys are right. The customer is always right!

6. Oct 18, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    SD2011Taco

SD2011Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5V6 4x4 Grey TRD Offroad Overland Setup
    3" Lift, Lights, CB, Yellow-Top, CBI Bed Rack, Tepui RTT, Shovel/Axe Mount, Maxtrax, ARB OBA, 33" KO2, Sliders
    They may ask you about employee theft and such. Remember, when it comes to things like this you should always involve HR and ensure there is a strong case before confronting employees. Remember, Target is a corporation and they run all their stores the same way so they will have a big book of rules. When in doubt on a question like this I would say, " I am unfamiliar with Target's practices/policies and would need to review the policies before I can provide you with an answer."

Also, customer service is number 1! No matter the situation!

7. Oct 18, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    The situational questions are really more to gauge your personality than to get to the correct answer, you can answer the questions wrong and still be hired. Relax, answer honestly and be friendly and outgoing and I'm sure you will be fine.

8. Oct 18, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    They will also give you situations... Like give me a time when you had to make a quick decision. Give me a situation where your authority was questioned... Stuff like that. They asked me that stuff when I worked at Walmart once upon a time and I asked those questions to my interviewees at my last job. Good luck. Also, I suggest you work on your "Elevator Speech". It is like a 2 minute snippet about yourself. If they ask you "tell me a little bit about yourself", you don't want to get stuck. That was one of the biggest things we looked for, was how well the prospective employee knew themselves... Good Luck!

9. Oct 18, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I think the best thing you can do is try to separate yourself from the usual suit and tie crowd, I would suggest showing up wearing parachute pants.
    It will show them that you're different from the same ole same ole, and it will boost sales of MC hammer cd's!

It's a win win for everyone!

10. Oct 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    Ask them about your future (where is the top and how do I get there)...like a little quiz for them...most places like long term.

11. Oct 18, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    daggertats

daggertats Well-Known Member

Member:
    arden nc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    undercover tonneau ,bug deflector, removal of all tacoma emblems added a set of component speakers behind the rear seat egr in channel window visors
    alot of them tests are questions that are just common scence. they ask alot of those what would you do questions. i never answer truthfully or id fail. i give em the best answer..lol good luck to ya

12. Oct 18, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

Good advice above ...

Talk directly to them and do not stare off in the distance, be yourself and do not squirm in your seat. Remember their name and call them by their name in your interview ... i.e. Mr. Jones, Ms. Smith (people like for you to use their name).

And most important ... get their card or name & address and when you get out of that interview ... IMMEDIATELY ... send them a "thank you note" for their time and the opportunity to interview with their company and tell them that you would like the position.

Good luck and keep us posted ...

PS ... Needly to say ... dress properly for the interview and be well groomed with nooo cig smoke smell.

13. Oct 18, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    I interview a lot of people for sales and I always lean on past success. Past success usually leads to future success whether it was sales or not. If you have no sales experience try and dig up a story or two where you helped people in a past job or solved a problem that saved the company money. Make them believe you think outside the box and are more than willing to do anything to get the job done.

14. Oct 18, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    toyotadude5

toyotadude5 Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    2006 Subaru wrx sti (white)
    i used to work at target doing that exact job. Dont worry bout the interview. customer service is number one. And obviously look professional.

15. Oct 18, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    All great stuff here :thumbsup:

16. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Ask them how much of a discount you get, how many breaks you get during a 8 hour shift, and if you get weekends off and holidays off.

17. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    toyotadude5

toyotadude5 Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    2006 Subaru wrx sti (white)
    you get a 15% discount, 2 15 minute paid breaks, a 30 minute lunch and they are closed major holidays

18. Oct 18, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    cbcs1987

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. Interview is going to come bright and early. I've took all of this into consideration and it has definately been helpful. I will let you know how the interview goes. I know that they are interviewing other people tomorrow because they told me. I hope I give a reason to choose me over them. I guess all I can do is be myself, as some of yall said. I'll let ya know when I hear something!

19. Oct 19, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    cbcs1987

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Well I got the job! Thanks again for all the advice. They asked me almost everything yall said they would so I was able to prepare myself a little bit. I start Friday.

20. Oct 19, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Congrats! It always feels good to be working!

To Top