Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Anyone own a small business?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil
toyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: truck driver 1404
Name: chris
toyotadude5's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone own a small business?

Im looking for some help or info from anyne that has experience with business ownership.

My friend and i are looking to start up a very small airdoft business out of a enclosed trailer just to start out. We would eventually like to move to a building and bigger and better business.

I need to know what we need to get the ball rolling. How are taxes done? What and where do i get a business license? What kind of insurance do i need? And a ton of other stuff.

If anyone has any help or info i appreciate it. We are trying to just start out really slow, so we dont get in over our heads with rent and property taxes and everything.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotadude5 View Post
Im looking for some help or info from anyne that has experience with business ownership.

My friend and i are looking to start up a very small airdoft business out of a enclosed trailer just to start out. We would eventually like to move to a building and bigger and better business.

I need to know what we need to get the ball rolling. How are taxes done? What and where do i get a business license? What kind of insurance do i need? And a ton of other stuff.

If anyone has any help or info i appreciate it. We are trying to just start out really slow, so we dont get in over our heads with rent and property taxes and everything.
I once owned a small internet company and was once in the same boat as you with a bunch of questions.

What I did was get on Google and I started doing a lot of research on the questions I didn't know.
I'm not sure how it would work with selling things out of a trailer if it's moving from one location to the other. But if it's stationary, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

It depends on the state, because every state has different laws.
You will need to get set up through the department of commerce for your state or city.
Here go here: http://www.business.gov/states/arizona/start.html

1.) This should be the place where you will get a license and possible Employer Identification Number.
2.) You don't need insurance if you own all your own stuff. However, if you want to expand and apply for a small business loan, the bank will require that you insure your products and business property. Insurance is not required for a business license.
3.) Taxes are done differently per state. But in Arizona they will probably due it quarterly, or 4 times a year. They will send out a piece of paper to put down all your sells for each month, and put down how much you received in 'sales tax'. This amount you will not put back into the business, but save and send to the county or state every quarter.
At the end of the year they will send out a different paper where you can put down all your tax write offs. And if you have employees, they will send out information for that too, and send it back.

Sounds like a plan to start out slow and small. Just remember that your life will change, you will be working many hours.

One tip I will give is that you have got to keep on your toes, in other words, you have got to keep the business moving. Keep trying to make the business better and more efficient for your customers and yourselves.
Why? Because if you don't, they'll just go somewhere else.........

Anyways good luck!
Old 11-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb

toyotadude5,

Find an accountant you can TRUST,then ask these questions....If they know their stuff..everything should fall into place...from local permits to IRS and all things in between.

My wife is self employed and through the years we BOTH have been...our accountant has always been a GREAT a$$ett.....plus it frees your time up to GROW your business...
Old 11-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
toyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
toyotadude5,

Find an accountant you can TRUST,then ask these questions....If they know their stuff..everything should fall into place...from local permits to IRS and all things in between.

My wife is self employed and through the years we BOTH have been...our accountant has always been a GREAT a$$ett.....plus it frees your time up to GROW your business...
cool. Where do i find a good accountant? Im not sure if this is the way for me to go because our business is going to be so small, we wont be making a ton of money right off the bat.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb

If your town has a small business chamber,a chamber of commerce or any organization to assist..turn to them.
The way most towns and cities survive is to help the "little guy" jump through the "hoops"...
Most accountants ( the GOOD ones) have either a set-rate or work out a yearly plan for your business ( they want you to survive too, they do not get paid if you can't make a living)...
Make a set of questions when interviewing them;
1) do they understand what your business is?? does??
2) do they have experience in filing quarterly's for this type of business?? 3) can they assist in the licensing process for ALL agencies,local ,state and federal??
4)can they help you with payroll ??,insurance ideas??...

Once you find one who "Understands" you & your business,everything falls into place;Connie and I have used two accountants since 1987..one in NH and the other in Florida .....I think some would call that a "strong relationship"....

Good luck and again keep ASKING QUESTIONS till the answers fit YOUR needs....
Old 11-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
toyotadude5,

what he said.i let my accountant handle everything.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
just outta curiousity, whats airdoft?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
just outta curiousity, whats airdoft?
i was thinking the same thing. its toy guns
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...b05746d54f919c
Old 11-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
check out S.C.O.R.E (service corps of Retired Executives) its a gov't program to help business startups, they'll got ober everything with you from taxes to liscensing, etc, and its free.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #10

Yes i meant airsoft haha. Thanks for the help guys.