1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Real Estate advice

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by FearNothing321, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Nov 13, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    FearNothing321

FearNothing321 [OP] You gonna eat that taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Audi S3
    I'm currently planning on studying Real Estate in graduate school. Is this a wise decision? I was looking to see if anybody could give me some advice concerning this decision. I plan on graduating college in December 2011 and going to graduate school soon after that and finishing grad school in about 2 years after that. I'm also going to go to graduate school at USF.

If anybody has any advice for me thank you.

And if anybody is in the real estate business, how is the market if you don't mind me asking?

2. Nov 13, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    When you say study real estate, what exactly is a real estate degree called? To be honest do you really need to go to graduate school to be a real estate agent? Unless you are talking major real estate Donald Trump style. My advice is to study real estate law. If you want to be a real estate mogul being a lawyer would be a big help.

As far as the market goes it is pretty stagnant nationwide, but it won't be that way forever. If your a buyer it is a good time to buy.

3. Nov 13, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    FearNothing321

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Audi S3

The degree is considered a Master of Science in Real Estate (http://www.coba.usf.edu/departments/finance/programs/msre.html)

this is the program i will be applying too, I'm guessing by the time i'm graduating from graduate school, the housing market will be much better than it is right now.

Thank you for your advice

4. Jan 1, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Real Estate is a tough business.

It is a lot more work than most think. To be a successful listing & selling agent requires years of establishing yourself.

Marketing yourself (Branding) is the key.

If I was starting in the business...I'd acquire education in marketing and real estate law.

This way, if the "selling" part of the brokerage business is not your thing...you could go into the marketing or law side of the business.

Personally, I'm a 3rd gen carpenter/home-builder with a land development and design/build background...who got his real estate license as a need. I've spent time in the Realtor trenches listing and selling...I've also spent time "on-site" for a project (condo & new homes)...

If you decide to go into the listing & selling side of the biz...expect disappointments. LOTS of them.

I believe the future for the biz is in specialization. I'd get that real estate law degree if I were a young man starting out. There's good coin in the escrow (title/closing) business.

I also believe in commercial real estate. Sorry, but selling houses to people who don't know what they want...and can't afford what they want...is a PITA...and woman Realtors dominate the biz here. And men dominate the commercial side.

Go commercial. With a real estate law degree. You will have REAL marketable skills. Most commercial clients like their broker to have a law degree.

I promise you...

With a real estate law degree...and a commercial property background...

You can earn MILLIONS in brokerage fees. Serious.

Good Luck.

5. Jan 1, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    FearNothing321

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Audi S3
    Thank you very much for your advice and insight

To Top