LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Calling all peace officers

Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Calling all peace officers

Do you enjoy being a police officer??? I am tossing around joining the police academy. I have wanted to become one since I was alot younger and due to recent economy downfall I have not had a job in 3 months... Do you enjoy it, is the pay and hours good, and how hard is it to become one? Please give me some insight as to what I should be expecting. Thanks
Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a police officer in the military. Its a little different so I'll leave the civilian side to the civilian po-po but I love what I do. Hands down..its the one job that has satisfied me. I enjoy going to work every morning or night and having the contact with people. Its boring most of the time, believe people when they say theres huge amounts of paper work and its slow 90% of the time and hell 10% of the time. I wouldn't want any other job then being a police officer...
Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
TacoTacoTaco
Cossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cossi's Tacoma Gallery
Mostly it is the greatest job in the world. But there will be days, that you will see your lowest of lows. As thankless of a job as it is, the rewards are immeasurable. For me at least. I will retire from this job as I have never felt more satisfied. The above points are true. If you take a dump you write a report.(not really but you know what I mean). In my 8 hour shift it is 7 hours and 55 minutes of the most dull boring shit you could ever imagine, and 5 minutes of the worst sheer terror you could think of.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossi View Post
Mostly it is the greatest job in the world. But there will be days, that you will see your lowest of lows. As thankless of a job as it is, the rewards are immeasurable. For me at least. I will retire from this job as I have never felt more satisfied.
x2, couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
theflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nice

Law Enforcement: Federale
Name: Tosh
theflyingtosher's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to theflyingtosher
where you looking at signing up? HPD? montgomery county S.O.? Montgomery PD? Conroe PD? I know HPD is always hiring, not sure about the others. I think DPS is about to start up another class too.

As for liking it, It's a very rewarding job but not always what you would call fun. The pay varies greatly depending on where you work and whom for (county vs city vs state vs fed.) The hours are probably going to suck, especially as a rookie/trainee officer, no matter where you are.

Difficulty to get into is also variable depending on where/who you sign up with. I know some places cough (oak ridge pd, shenandoah pd) cough are pretty much impossible if you dont have the right connections. Some places have education/college requirements, and some want prior law enforcement/military experience of some sort. If you are really interested I would recommend talking to some of the local guys, alot of stations offer "ride-alongs" or shadow programs, some have explorer programs and internships and even occasional citizens academies. Good luck with the search.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #6

Law Enforcement:
I've done a few ride alongs. Always happen to get with the guy or gal that loves the job and is out there to make shit happen and find shit to do. Most of the police officers I know are passionate about their job and wouldn't take anything else...that tells me alot.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
theflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nice

Law Enforcement: Federale
Name: Tosh
theflyingtosher's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to theflyingtosher
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1mcc View Post
I've done a few ride alongs. Always happen to get with the guy or gal that loves the job and is out there to make shit happen and find shit to do. Most of the police officers I know are passionate about their job and wouldn't take anything else...that tells me alot.
x2

I did several as a teenager/young adult, while I was still working menial and worthless jobs, always rode with some great officers that loved what they did. One of them in particular with a guy from T.A.B.C (Texas Alcholic Beverage Commission) in which we backed up the local S.O. and State Troopers all night that really helped solidify in my mind that Law enforcement is what I wanted to do.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #8

Law Enforcement:
Nothing tells a 16 yr old that he wants to be a police officer like sitting in the passenger seat of a patrol car with body armor on hauling ass about 85 mph lights and sirens to a knife fight call at a shitty bar in the suburbs of Seattle...lol
Old 12-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
I had no idea you could do ride alongs... Gonna check that out. I have no idea where I would go as far as county, city, etc. My girlfriend works in the corporate part of lone star college and she has researched all the steps to get in to the academy and classes I would need to become certified I guess. I was going to sign up for the fall semester but wasn't sure thats what I really wanted to do. They have it now where you can go in with no prior college. I can either take classes during the day for 6 months for the basic and advanced or 1 year from 6 to 10 every night. Thinking during the day but then I will have no income So money is going to play a huge factor, but believe it or not I really do not mind paperwork until my hand cramps up and think I would love the job and the things one would see and do. Anyway thanks for the insight it will help me alot with my final decision. Stay safe out there guys.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
Dont do it for the money.

Police, EMS, Firefighting....

You dont do it for the money you do it because its a calling.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Choot It!

kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter500ky View Post
Dont do it for the money.

Police, EMS, Firefighting....

You dont do it for the money you do it because its a calling.
No I'm saying the money I have coming in now is the huge factor... lol I realize the money is not good but wondering if its enough to make a decent living on
Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #12
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrob1 View Post
No I'm saying the money I have coming in now is the huge factor... lol I realize the money is not good but wondering if its enough to make a decent living on

Depends on what you see as a decent living.....

I know police officers EMS and FF's who make a good living but they dont have 3 story houses or BMWs.

It's about what you consider a decent living, when I become a paid FF I know Ill make decent money for what I want. I dont want or need much just enough to get by.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
Choot It!

kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
My idea of a decent living is nothing like that. I came from almost nothing so I do not have many expectations. As long as I have a roof over my head and can enjoy myself and have a hobby I enjoy and some good friends. That to me is a good living.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
Then yes you will make a decent living

Just dont let the bad times knock you out.

I have seen some bad things, almost lost hope and then saved a house from a fire and realized how close I was to losing hope in my dream.

Never again will I lose that faith.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrob1 View Post
All depends on where you're at, and what department, as mentioned. I know in my area, my local township police start at 56k a year, whereas the city closest to me start low 30's. Definitely can be a big swing from dept to dept.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
cmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Craig
cmfranks's Tacoma Gallery
i have been a PO in the central Tx area for 14 yrs now. I started in the jail (2 yrs) then went to partol (10 yrs) and now a detective. As far as people saying its boring most of the time, not so much here. we have been pretty busy most of the night (yes, i spent all 10 yrs on nights) and have seen some VERY interesting stuff. You definately make what you want out of it, just depends on you. As far as the detective side, holy shit this is a pretty kick ass job. You do have some very long days/nights but its worth it at the end. If/when your ready, look up Williamson County they are putting on several CAPCOG academys at night time in Georgetown.

hope this helps