Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

A few Fire Dept. Questions

Old 01-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
JDMrolla is on a distinguished road

JDMrolla's Tacoma Gallery
A few Fire Dept. Questions

I have no previous experience, however i filled out the application and now im scheduled to take the first step in the seven month hiring process. It is the written test and i was wondering what to expect and if i could get some tips, im aware that every city has diffrent procedures for hiring.

I understand that it is very hard to get in, but do i have a chance?

I also signed up for the volunteer fire dept, i was told i was going to be called for an interview 2 weeks ago and said i would get the call 1 week from the email.....never got a call
Old 01-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
So you filled out an application for a full-time position? Also, is it the same department that you signed up to volunteer for?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
When all else fails read the directions
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 18F-5th SFG
Name: Him
joerussell610's Tacoma Gallery
Try and take an EMT class. Can be a first responder. Easier to get on with EMT cert.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
So you filled out an application for a full-time position? Also, is it the same department that you signed up to volunteer for?
Yes, full-time and yeah it was for the same city.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMrolla View Post
Yes, full-time and yeah it was for the same city.
Okay got yah. Well its always good to try and get your foot in the door like volunteering before applying for a full-time position just cause they will already be familiar with you and know that you have some kind of training and skills. It might be a little sketchy depending on how many people they are hiring cause usually the volunteers that have spent some time there usually get first dibs on full-time positions. But then again, I'm not sure how that department out there works.

Even if you dont get on full-time, stay as a volunteer if you can and def try and take an EMT class. A lot of bigger departments these days wont even look at you if you arent an EMT-Basic. Most larger cities wont look at you if your arent a Paramedic.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Molon Labe
CoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: now Paramedic/Firefighter
CoalMedic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay got yah. Well its always good to try and get your foot in the door like volunteering before applying for a full-time position just cause they will already be familiar with you and know that you have some kind of training and skills. It might be a little sketchy depending on how many people they are hiring cause usually the volunteers that have spent some time there usually get first dibs on full-time positions. But then again, I'm not sure how that department out there works.

Even if you dont get on full-time, stay as a volunteer if you can and def try and take an EMT class. A lot of bigger departments these days wont even look at you if you arent an EMT-Basic. Most larger cities wont look at you if you arent a Paramedic.
+1

Pay your dues as a volly and hopefully get a good look when the next round of hiring comes on. In the meantime, take every class you can, not just EMT. HazMat, NIMS (most of which are required anyway) are some good classes, and attend some sort of Fire College, usually a 3 or 4 day affair. You can find some info about these online, but the best thing to do would be to talk to your training officer.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalMedic View Post
+1

Pay your dues as a volly and hopefully get a good look when the next round of hiring comes on. In the meantime, take every class you can, not just EMT. HazMat, NIMS (most of which are required anyway) are some good classes, and attend some sort of Fire College, usually a 3 or 4 day affair. You can find some info about these online, but the best thing to do would be to talk to your training officer.

Good luck!
X2. If there is a certain department, city, or county you want to work for, go into the station itself and find out exactly what "they" are looking for. Every department is different and if your just starting out, its best to do the training and classes that the "particular" department you are looking at cause every department is different. Some times they dont want firefighters that came from another state or county cause they want their particular firefighters trained "their" way so they havent picked up any bad habits from their previous careers.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
EndlessSummer is just really niceEndlessSummer is just really niceEndlessSummer is just really niceEndlessSummer is just really nice

Name: Jason
EndlessSummer's Tacoma Gallery
Everything above is great advice. Consider a seasonal job. Not sure about much wildland fire out there towards the right coast but most departments these days have a large population in urban interface areas. A lot of departments are looking for some wildland experience and expertise to contribute as well. Look into some basic wildland classes. Start with S-110, S-130, S-190, maybe S-133, I-100, I-700, L-180.

Check out www.firecareers.com They have lots of good info on what departments are testing and they also have a large selection of practice tests available.

Good luck
Old 01-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #9

only problem is that it looks as if the volunteer fire dept has already shut me down as I never got the said call i was suppose to get a week ago
Old 01-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
only problem is that it looks as if the volunteer fire dept has already shut me down as I never got the said call i was suppose to get a week ago
Be aggressive and be the one to call them back. Just like any other job it shows them that you are really interested in it. It cant hurt you know?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Be aggressive and be the one to call them back. Just like any other job it shows them that you are really interested in it. It cant hurt you know?
true, i'll give them a call tomorrow
Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
true, i'll give them a call tomorrow
Let us know what they say.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #13
socal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Diego
socal16's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck man just follow all the great advice that was given right now I'm going through all of it right now it will take time but just stay motivated and it will pay off in the long run.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:26 AM   #14
Molon Labe
CoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

We're pulling for you man. Keep after it!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
If you're a Paramedic you can pretty much get on anywhere. A lot of places have thousands of people applying for a 20-30 person academy, sometimes more, sometimes less. Lets say 2000 people apply for an academy of 40 positions. Thats a 2% chance that you will even get selected. Then you have the attrition rate. Say 20 people drop out or get fired and you are one of the top 20 that graduated with a job. Congratulations, you made it and finished in the top 1% of people that applied for your job. These numbers are crazy (if I did my math correctly ) but this is how it is.

I got on at 19. I went and got my for FF classes and EMT shit done before I applied to my FD. I was two weeks out from finishing up my certification academy through a community college when I was selected and hired on for a transitional academy through my FD.

Get on wherever you can. Do not think you are too good to work at a certain department. Get your foot in the door and go where you want. Who knows, you may end up loving where you end up.

Its more important who you work with, than who you work for. And the grass isn't always greener on the other side, the brown patches are just in different spots.

Respect everybody, especially guys with time on and experience. I almost have five years on which is nothing. I have recently become the most junior guy on my crew that I have been with for over two years. I do not let them do any of the station duties and I go completely out of my way to make their job easier. Know your place. Keep your mouth shut and ears open at all times when you're the new guy.

Everything thing you do from making coffee, rolling hose, folding towels, washing the rigs, you are signing your name next to it. Do a half-ass job and you will get a bad rep. Be proud of everything you do and make it obvious through your work ethic.

I work about 11 days a month. I get full salary and benefits. I don't know what to do with all the time that I have off. I would have no problem supporting myself or a family. Its been my dream job ever since I could remember. You get paid to help people, fight fires, cut cars up, and to just be there for the community.

Good luck.
That was advice I gave to someone else a few months back.

I am at a different station with nine other guys on my crew. We run two engine companies,a ladder truck, and a rescue out of it. One of the engine companies will move over to the ladder if a call goes out for it.

I am no longer the junior guy at this station but it didn't change my work ethic at all.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #16

UPDATE: I have an interview with the volunteer dept.!, i still plan to take the written test for the real dept and see what happens.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
Molon Labe

Congrats on the interview. But a word of advice: Don't call a career dept the "real" dept. That really hacks off those of us who are volunteers and enjoy eating smoke to serve our community but hold down other jobs to pay the bills. There is no difference in the dangers volunteers and career guys share. Often times the volunteers do it with less of a budget, older gear, and less frequent training.

*Off soapbox*

But seriously, good luck with the interview.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalMedic View Post
Congrats on the interview. But a word of advice: Don't call a career dept the "real" dept. That really hacks off those of us who are volunteers and enjoy eating smoke to serve our community but hold down other jobs to pay the bills. There is no difference in the dangers volunteers and career guys share. Often times the volunteers do it with less of a budget, older gear, and less frequent training.

*Off soapbox*

But seriously, good luck with the interview.
thanks man, yea i really didnt want to use real when i was typing but i didn't think of any other way to describe it between the two, but i fully understand what your saying, career dept is what ill use from now on
Old 01-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #19
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
UPDATE: I have an interview with the volunteer dept.!, i still plan to take the written test for the real dept and see what happens.
Nice!!! Good luck on the interview and keep us updated!!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #20
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks man, yea i really didnt want to use real when i was typing but i didn't think of any other way to describe it between the two, but i fully understand what your saying, career dept is what ill use from now on
Its simple. Paid Department.